GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,873
1 members and 1,872 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-23-2005, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Greek Life at the University of Texas at Austin

Hi! I'm going to be a freshman at UT this fall and was wondering if anyone knows anything about Greek life at UT or had gone through it themselves? I am coming from out of state (Idaho!) and was just wondering what to expect. I am completely new to all of this sorority stuff (I only know 1 person who has ever been in a sorority) so I am kind of going into this clueless. Any advice???
Old 07-23-2005, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
If you haven't already done so, look at the UT-Austin greek life web site.

http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/gle

good luck with recruitment.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen that texasgreeks.com website but I was just wondering what the word on the street is lol

Last edited by longhrn_cutie18; 07-24-2005 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey! I would suggest looking at individual webpages of organizations at UT. I don't know if you are looking at a particular type of org (NPHC, NPC, Multicultural, Latina, Asian, ect.). but looking at the individual pages of the organizations at UT might help you figure out which group is more interesting to you. From what I know about UT, there are a LOT of options in all the different categories of sororitites to choose from, so doing research before you get there might help you have an idea of what you want to do.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

do a search in the rush forum -something like-university of texas rush or texas rush. we had a couple of girls who wrote of their recruitment experiences there.

also, you will need recommendation letters to the chapters at u of texas-ask your teachers, family friends, co-workers, fellow church members, etc., and of course the one person you know who a sorority member-and ask her if she knows any women in other sororities who have chapters at u of texas. good luck.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
do a search in the rush forum -something like-university of texas rush or texas rush. we had a couple of girls who wrote of their recruitment experiences there.

also, you will need recommendation letters to the chapters at u of texas-ask your teachers, family friends, co-workers, fellow church members, etc., and of course the one person you know who a sorority member-and ask her if she knows any women in other sororities who have chapters at u of texas. good luck.
Ditto FSUZeta - you will DEFINITELY need references before going through recruitment at Texas. You should look for the rush thread about competitive southern rush as I have heard University of Texas rush is the epitome of southern rush. Make sure you are prepared.

Best wishes!!
Old 07-23-2005, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to sound critical or out of the loop, but are you serious about needing letters of reference? Do they need to supply a cover letter and resume as well?
Old 07-24-2005, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKTKKG
Ditto FSUZeta - you will DEFINITELY need references before going through recruitment at Texas. You should look for the rush thread about competitive southern rush as I have heard University of Texas rush is the epitome of southern rush. Make sure you are prepared.

Best wishes!!
Any advice on "being prepared?" I have been trying to get references and one ChiO said I was required to have 5...some people have been telling me that that's ridiculous, but I definitely want to be one the safe side. Greek life is NOT a big thing in my area, so there's only so much I can do locally, you know?

I read the posts about "cutthroat southern rush" or something along those lines, and I got a lot of info about UT from what someone posted, which unfortunately freaked me out even more! It was the post about how 99.9% of the time you won't get like any of your top 6 picks or something...and how its all about what high school you went to and how much $$ you have etc. I'm not quite sure how to deal with that...and everyone tells me I'm worrying much more than I should be, but maybe I SHOULD be this worried, am I right or wrong?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NebraskaDelt
Not to sound critical or out of the loop, but are you serious about needing letters of reference? Do they need to supply a cover letter and resume as well?
Yah, I dont know about the above nonsense.

Sounds like someone who's only been in a fraternity for about seven minutes decided to get involved in a process that dosent really involve him.

Let me fill ya in dude. Think of everything you know from fraternity rush and throw it out the window. Sorority rush is completely different from anything you have ever contempletated. Your experience is non-relevant. Your attempt at humor, while not even really appreciated, is non beneficial. Its not even ironic, cause this sorority recruitment thread stuff is taken real serious by the ladies on here. NPC is not a joke. They have a book that governs their recruitment proceedures that is about 200 pages big. Its called the big green book and go ask your Panhellenic if you can see it. Yeah, they have 200 pages of how their rush goes. In our IFC, we had 8 pages. So it really doesnt compare. Rally against it all you want, and it wont matter. Its been this way since like 1956 and is isnt going to change on your behalf. So here's what you should do. If you really want to be involved, ask a chapter you care about if you can help set up/tear down for their rush. If not, shut up. Cause your comments really dont help whats going on in here. Funny? Sort of, but not really so much. Just stay out of their business. Its how its done. Really it is. Ask around. Your input (and mine for that matter, is not asked for or sought after).

Be greek for 10 minutes and you'll see that.

You wouldn't want the women mocking your rush process. Lets show some respect.

Seriously, learn how the game is played. Keep the stupid comments to yourself. You are so in WAY over your head. You have no idea. lol.

Last edited by lifesaver; 07-24-2005 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey there,

I'm sending you an important pm about rush at Texas!
Old 07-24-2005, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

LETTERS OF REFERENCE

by the way, if any of you gals would be willing to write me a letter of reference for UT, I would really appreciate it as there is not much Greek action here in Boise. The more, the merrier! I could use references for the following sororities:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Delta Tau
Zeta Tau Alpha

Thanks to everyone for replying, I feel so much better knowing that I have like this network of support rooting for me! It means a lot to me.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by longhrn_cutie18
LETTERS OF REFERENCE

by the way, if any of you gals would be willing to write me a letter of reference for UT, I would really appreciate it as there is not much Greek action here in Boise. The more, the merrier! I could use references for the following sororities:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Delta Tau
Zeta Tau Alpha

Thanks to everyone for replying, I feel so much better knowing that I have like this network of support rooting for me! It means a lot to me.
I dont know many that would be willing to write an recommedation for someone on the internet however you could contact the local Alumnae Associations for the different sororities in that area.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by longhrn_cutie18
Any advice on "being prepared?" I have been trying to get references and one ChiO said I was required to have 5...some people have been telling me that that's ridiculous, but I definitely want to be one the safe side. Greek life is NOT a big thing in my area, so there's only so much I can do locally, you know?

I read the posts about "cutthroat southern rush" or something along those lines, and I got a lot of info about UT from what someone posted, which unfortunately freaked me out even more! It was the post about how 99.9% of the time you won't get like any of your top 6 picks or something...and how its all about what high school you went to and how much $$ you have etc. I'm not quite sure how to deal with that...and everyone tells me I'm worrying much more than I should be, but maybe I SHOULD be this worried, am I right or wrong?
Here is a good recruitment story from UT if it will help:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ighlight=Texas

Your best bet is to read as much as you can about recruitment on GC and to get as many recs as you can. If you present yourself well, have good grades, good activities, and keep an open mind, I am confident you can find a Greek home there. I wish I knew more and could point you in the right direction, but I am not from Texas! Perhaps someone on GC will be kind enough to give you some additional advice and direction. Do not worry too much, just be prepared and keep that open mind.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KDLady00
I dont know many that would be willing to write an recommedation for someone on the internet however you could contact the local Alumnae Associations for the different sororities in that area.
Yes, exactly. People here aren't going to do your work for you There's a nice thread tacked up in the rush forum about how to go about procuring recs. Since you're getting a late start, i'd suggest you get your tail in gear contacting local Alumnae Associations.

Though I think needing 5 for one group is absolutely f'in ridiculous.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
Yah, I dont know about the above nonsense.

Sounds like someone who's only been in a fraternity for about seven minutes decided to get involved in a process that dosent really involve him.

Be greek for 10 minutes and you'll see that.

You wouldn't want the women mocking your rush process. Lets show some respect.

Seriously, learn how the game is played. Keep the stupid comments to yourself. You are so in WAY over your head. You have no idea. lol.
Excuse me, who are you to criticize? I have been involved with greek life for 10 years. The sorority organizations I have acquantanced do not hold rush with a requirement of letters of recommendation. It kind of defeats the process of getting to know the girls. Instead, you rely on what someone else thinks about the girl.

The women can mock our recruitment, but I don't see how getting to know the guys is a bad thing.

"Keep the stupid comments to yourself"-Are you kiddin me? Grow up. Not everyone does things like they do in your beloved south.