GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 977
1 members and 976 guests
zavictoiajnr131

Old 06-18-2001, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Post When do you wear your badge/pin?

I've always wondered what other people thought about this. Do you wear your badge/pin only during your events, like a formal dinner, school function, etc. or do you also wear it at events that have nothing to do with your GLO? Does that make sense?
Old 06-18-2001, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I wear my badge often, not just to ZTA events. I'm very proud of it and think that, in addition to the meaning it has, it's a pretty piece of jewelry. It also gives me the opportunity to talk about Greek life to non-Greeks and Greeks alike.

Barbara
\^^^/

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited June 18, 2001).]
Old 06-18-2001, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

ADPi had something called "Dress to Pin" and that is an oufit that is worthy of the pin..like a wedding or interview. I wear mine to important events so that I can strick up a conversation about something...and most of the time I find alum and have great discussions about greek life and it evoultion. Hope that helps!!!!!
Diamond Girl for Life,
<>Ashley<>
Old 06-18-2001, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I mostly wear mine at fraternity or inter-greek functions. (Whethre as a participant, alum advisor, etc.)

It's not that I wouldn't wear my badge outside of these arenas.. I just don't have any other real occassions that would be appropriate. I pretty much go to work (not appropriate since I have the pleasure of dealing with the public) & go out with friends

------------------
SilverTurtle

Phi Beta Fraternity: National Professional Association for the Creative & Performing Arts
Old 06-18-2001, 11:27 PM

I like to wear mine If I am dressed in pin attire. I want to wear to work because I have to dress nice.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

We have certain dress code to wear our Badges! Some times I feel it is out dated, no pacth pockets!
Because of the dress of todays students, very casual, as opposed to a Business Major and the times on campus) I always feel it is better to show who you are unless you are not Proud Enuff to do it! Who knows who we are3 unless we do not identify ourselves to the many! I was at Founders Day and was told I could not wear my Badge with nice jeans! I said fire me. I went to to hotel and got my Badge and another Brothers and We Both wore them to Ritual. He is # 4! Show the rest of the world and they will learn and join us!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 06-19-2001, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
I wear mine almost whenever I am in badge attire. It'a a nice way to meet someone. I've met sisters by wearing it!

------------------
Katey, ZA chapter of AGD
"Could I have been anyone other than me?"-Dave Matthews
Old 06-19-2001, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I would like to wear mine more than I do, it is just that I don't always dress up very often, and if I do during the school year it is for a greek event. But from time to time when I do dress up for something else, I wonder if I should wear it or not. But now I realize I'm not the only one who likes to, it IS something to take pride in.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I wear mine every sunday to church. The first time I wore it people thought it was odd because the church I go to doesn't have many college educated people. But now everyone thinks its neat and changes their viewpoints about the stereotypes.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
We have a strict rule about badges. You have to be wearing nice black/dress pants, or something u woudl wear to church or business casual. No khakis, jeans, or other. I like the idea because it gives the badge more meaning. Now for provisional member pins, they can wear those whenever.

------------------
It's not who always wins, it's who always gets respect...Phi Mu Rocks!!!
Phildo
PM'00
Old 06-20-2001, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I'm pretty sure most have rules about when you should wear them (meaning how you are dressed). I would never wear my badge in jeans and a t-shirt But from reading our manual, I don't think it says nothing about exactly how you are dressed, but the badge is supposed to be lined up above the shirt pocket so most shirts with pockets are dress shirts. And if you're wearing a dress shirt, you more than likely are wearing dress pants... hmm... i think I'll stop talking now.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I usually end up wearing mine at rituals and at convention or leadership conferences, where we are dressed up. Other than that, it's in the box, so it stays nice.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:24 AM
GreekChat Member

We wear our pins during our sorority events and other greek formal events. We always have 'pin attire' when wearing the badges- dresses, skirts, suits. Otherwise, we don't really wear our pins, but almost always you'll see a Theta with her lavalier on.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Quote:
Originally posted by SLOTheta:
...Otherwise, we don't really wear our pins, but almost always you'll see a Theta with her lavalier on.
This was true on my campus with GLOs in general. It was like the lavalier was the "informal badge" almost.

------------------
SilverTurtle

Phi Beta Fraternity: National Professional Association for the Creative & Performing Arts
Old 06-23-2001, 05:43 PM

I wear my badge whenever I visit a chapter meeting or any other Fraternity function when the dress at the event warrants.

I also have a Delt Coat of Arms lapel pin that I wear whenever I have a suit or sportcoat on anywhere.

This is an interesting topic, because back when I was in college we wore or badges everywhere (except, obviously, when not dressed appropriately -- like wearing a shirt with no collar). I was surprized when I got seriously reinvolved a few years ago that this is not the case anymore. I'm not sure just when that stopped, but it's too bad.

I suspect, though, that one reason is that today's undergrads dress more casually more often than we did. In fact, if feeble memory serves me, we still had to "dress" for dinner each night. That was back in the late sixties.

A couple of the chapters in my division have "badge days" and "letter days" every week when everyone wears his badge or a shirt with letters (voluntarily, of course, no hazing here) to classes, etc.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum