GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,349
3 members and 2,346 guests
ForeverAOII, PGD-GRAD, saphqueen

Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Recs

Is there a way to check if your recs have actually been sent in to the houses? I don't want to bother or potentially offend the rec writers by asking them if they have sent in the paperwork. I did include prepaid postage envelopes but I know sometimes people say they will do something but forget.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-03-2015, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, not in a tactful way. Don't contact the chapter about it, and I would not risk offending the rec writer. When my daughter went through recruitment two years ago, most of her rec writers let her know they had sent the rec, and several followed up to let her know they had received a thank you/acknowledgement e-mail from the chapter. If your rec writers are women you know personally, they might do that...if you're going through an Alumnae Panhellenic that helps process many recs, I wouldn't expect that level of follow-up.

If you're worried about anyone following through, you might want to ask more than one writer for each sorority. That might give you some peace of mind. Also, you should send each rec writer a thank you note. That might also serve to jog the memory/motivation of the procrastinators.

My daughter joined Pi Beta Phi. Her rec writer told her she was momentarily scared that she had accidentally sent her Pi Phi rec to the Theta house next door, because she received a thank you e-mail from the "Virginia Theta" membership VP and she forgot for a second that Pi Phi names their chapters by state and Greek letter alphabet, in order of founding.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

You could also write a Thank You note to each writer. These can serve as a great reminder to the women.

If you personally know them, and see them regularly (neighbor, church, friend's parent), you can verbally thank them again and/or just let them know how excited that you are to participate in recruitment. Then it may come up naturally in conversation whether they have sent in the rec or not.

Our APH encourages member groups to send a short email to the PNMs when their rec has been sent, but not all APHs do that.

I write dozens of recs each year. I am pretty organized about it, but admittedly it is very easy to get busy, loose track of time, and even forget. I always encourage PNMs that I know to follow up with the thank you note not only because it is polite but it is a great reminder to busy women who may need a nudge.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Should I send the thank you notes now (delivered packets to rec writers three weeks ago)
or should I wait?
Thank you for your help.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenS View Post
Should I send the thank you notes now (delivered packets to rec writers three weeks ago)
or should I wait?
Thank you for your help.
I think send those thank you notes IMMEDIATELY
Old 06-03-2015, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I think send those thank you notes IMMEDIATELY
Agreed! There isn't anything to wait for -- you've asked them to write a rec and delivered the packets. Follow up with the thank you now!
Old 06-03-2015, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank Yous

They are ready and I'm mailing out tomorrow.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenS View Post
They are ready and I'm mailing out tomorrow.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

My rec girl enclosed a postage paid postcard in her info packet (pre-addressed to her), asking me to drop it in the mail when I sent the rec. I thought that was pretty smart of her. It was marked with my name and sorority so she could track who sent them.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
My rec girl enclosed a postage paid postcard in her info packet (pre-addressed to her), asking me to drop it in the mail when I sent the rec. I thought that was pretty smart of her. It was marked with my name and sorority so she could track who sent them.
Yes, I had a postage paid postcard in the packet. I've only received half of them back. Didn't think to put the rec writer's name on them though. That is a smart idea. Well hopefully the thank you notes will remind ladies that have not sent the recs to do so. I am so thankful they agreed to do them but it is so nerve-racking not to know if they are actually done. Nerves, Nerves, Nerves. Can't wait for rush week though. I am SO excited.