GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,669
0 members and 1,669 guests
No Members online

Old 06-25-2007, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Knew you would!

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkfriedrice View Post
While we're at it...America is not founded upon judeo-christian principles. It's founded upon the principles of freedom of religion and separation of church and state. OMG it pisses me off when people play that card. Or the fact that In God We Trust wasn't added to money or the pledge of allegiance until the 50s I believe.
I'm not even American and I know this!
Well, it also depends on what you mean by "America" and "founded."

The formation of the United States as a separate and independent political entity or the actual settlement and survival of the early colonies?

The influence of the Puritans in New England really was pretty darn important for a long time in US history, and Georgia's colonial success depended a lot on the Methodists.

And to be honest, even the Deism of the Revolutionary documents probably wouldn't have been possible without the contributions of the Judeo-Christian Western tradition. It's not like the Enlightenment happened in a cultural vacuum or under Confucianism or Islam.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Corsulian
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Undoubtedly, Puritanism influenced the founding of the American Republic, but America is not "Puritan-founded."
I misspoke when I suggested that actual Puritans founded the whole of America. America was founded by many distinct groups, sects, organizations, corporations, and more. We're a great big ridiculous melting pot.

Nevertheless, I do not believe so many brothels were appearing that every township/county (and generally only those containing or that would one day contain a college or university) felt that anti-brothel laws were necessary but that instead of saying 'no brothels' they referred to it vaguely in terms of number of women in a household.

Given that this is a "stickied" thread regarding the brothel law, try and focus on that rather than the philosophical reasoning behind the founding of the country which is extremely loosely tied to local zoning laws. The only thing relevant about the influence of religion or whether many aspects of our society are too conservative is that these are probably the reasons (or perceptions) that lead to people believing in a stupid reason for the lack of Greek Housing.
GMU Greek Life Wiki * Unofficial Region X Portal
Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsulian View Post
Given that this is a "stickied" thread regarding the brothel law, try and focus on that rather than the philosophical reasoning behind the founding of the country which is extremely loosely tied to local zoning laws. The only thing relevant about the influence of religion or whether many aspects of our society are too conservative is that these are probably the reasons (or perceptions) that lead to people believing in a stupid reason for the lack of Greek Housing.
Hey, you're the one who brought the Puritan influence up.

But you're right in that in the 1800s, unless one was going to school in New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago, Washington or New Orleans, keeping brothels from being established near campuses probably wasn't high on any municipality's list of things to worry about. (And I'm doubting that they worried in New Orleans.)
Old 06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Why isn't this dead yet like the law?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-04-2007, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I came across this thread and found it interesting. Apparently this myth has been circulating for so long even LAWMAKERS don't even question it.

Here is an article from Wikipedia.com...where even the Tennessee Legislature had to address this very issue, on a law that evidently never existed to start with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_...ate_University
Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Is it really a Myth

I know for a fact that in Detroit Mi, the law stands. There are no Sorority houses but there are several Frat houses. It is a law that is actually on the books here.

Last edited by BlueBeast1914; 07-10-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeast1914 View Post
I know for a fact that in Detroit Mi, the law stands. It is a law that is actually on the books here.
Can you actually cite to the ordinance? 'Cause otherwise, I'm not buying that it's "actually on the books."
Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Can you actually cite to the ordinance? 'Cause otherwise, I'm not buying that it's "actually on the books."
I'm sure his brother's girlfriend's aunt's third cousin's husband's dog told him. So of course it's true. Disregard the rest of the thread and everyone else who ACTUALLY knows what they're talking about. The Brothel Law is absolutely true.

BTW, MC - love the new sig.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I really don't care what you buy or don't. I know for certain that at the several universities in this city, none of them have houses that are inhabited.

I can assure you that the law exist
Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:

Too bad no one believes you. Your assurances don't mean squat.

Again, cite your source. Oh that's right, you can't.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I really don't care what you buy or don't. I know for certain that at the several universities in this city, none of them have houses that are inhabited.
Oh, my bad. I didn't stop to think that if no sororities in Detroit have houses, the reason can only be a brothel law. I have certainly been put in my place.

Quote:
Then it ought to be a simple matter for you to cite and/or quote the ordinance. But like OTW, I'm betting you can't.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

My alma mater (Washington University in St. Louis) regularly fed this myth to incoming freshmen, but a Theta who graduated the year before I did debunked this myth to the Panhellenic community and revealed the real reason: an alumna had donated money to the university with the stipulation that while it was being used to build/maintain the building named in her memory, sororities could only have suites in her building and no residential houses. At that time the sororities discussed building houses but found there wasn't enough interest in our chapters to pursue it.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieWashU View Post
My alma mater (Washington University in St. Louis) regularly fed this myth to incoming freshmen, but a Theta who graduated the year before I did debunked this myth to the Panhellenic community and revealed the real reason: an alumna had donated money to the university with the stipulation that while it was being used to build/maintain the building named in her memory, sororities could only have suites in her building and no residential houses. At that time the sororities discussed building houses but found there wasn't enough interest in our chapters to pursue it.
That's very interesting. SLU and UMSL believed the myth too, although I think UMSL helped debunk it by the creation of their new sorority houses in the past few years (although even they're not in the "city" so I'm sure it lives on).
Old 07-20-2007, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tanzera
tHE bROTHEL LAW

I just wanted to comment on this because I go to University of Nevada and our wack counterpart UNLV does still adhere to the brothel law. It is not a myth or a rumor. No sororities or frats have official houses because there is still a brothel law in nevada and UNLV and UNR are not in cities that allow brothels.