GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,705
0 members and 1,705 guests
No Members online

Old 07-28-2004, 11:12 AM

adpiucf-
I was told that the brothel law was the reason that there were no College Apartment complexes in Oviedo that had more than 3 bedrooms. (More than 3 women in an apartment was supposedly a brothel) That story got chucked after Grandeville, Tivoli and Northgate were built!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
DeltAlum, I think I love you.
adpiucf: (Blush)

Seraphimsprite:

I hadn't heard about that. You learn something new every day!
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard the "brothel law" thing for several schools... one of them being TWU, which is seriously 5 minutes from where UNT is building the Sorority Row So I figured that was not a real reason why some campuses have houses, and some have only "lodges" and some don't have either.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

DeltAlum is mine!

He is a fun Guy!

Sorry D A!

In many instances, The Brothel Law is Brought up and is untrue as has been shown.

Private and Realigious Affiliated Schools have different Rules to abide by.

That is called the Law of The Land. They Dictate the circumstances of living Facilities.

LXA lived in a School Owned House after Theirs Burned. William-Jewell, in Mo.

I was in it a couple of times and asked the Brothers, what are you doing living here, this house should be condemmend!

Well, not a Problem now, a new 3 1/2 Mill. house!

But The Cardinal House was scarry as Hell!

A fire would have wiped out almost all of the Chapter.

But, many times, maybe the Brothel Law is brought up to disway Soroitys from expanding on campus.

Dont Know, but am sure you can go to the Legal City Ordaninces, LAWS and find out about this from the Zoning Department!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RiaLucia
shima_mizu said:

Quote:
But I think we used to have sorority houses a long, long time ago. Need to double check on that though.

Cat, I'm almost positive we did. I'm not sure if Phi Beta Chi (for anyone who wants to know, that was our local chapter heritage before going to an NPC sorority in 1998) had a house, but I'm pretty sure I saw in a yearbook somewhere a sorority house. I might've even read it in the Valpo urban legends/myths spread that The Torch did towards the end of the semester. Perhaps one of our sisters in our chapter can shed some light on it.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

at my school this is a true law...and the is being fought as we speak...the school is trying to get it removed to build a sorority row on campus...but there is another law too, not sure what, but it is the reason we only have on fraternity house
Old 07-29-2004, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by adw5862
at my school this is a true law...and the is being fought as we speak...the school is trying to get it removed to build a sorority row on campus...but there is another law too, not sure what, but it is the reason we only have on fraternity house
THERE IS NO BROTHEL LAW. ANYWHERE.

The laws your school is trying to get reversed are ZONING laws. They have NOTHING to do with brothels or the fact that it's women, not men living in the house.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Corsulian
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
THERE IS NO BROTHEL LAW. ANYWHERE.

The laws your school is trying to get reversed are ZONING laws. They have NOTHING to do with brothels or the fact that it's women, not men living in the house.
Thank you.

Seriously, consider for a moment who would create a brothel law. Ever recall a time in the history of Puritan-founded America that brothels were just popping up all over the place?

In Fairfax County (Virginia), you cannot have more than 4 unrelated adults living in a single dwelling. It isn't because we might all become prostitutes, it's because of other reasons such as parking, traffic, square footage of dwelling space per resident laws, and more--all under the umbrella of Zoning Regulations.

On the campus of George Mason University, there are student apartments with 3 bedrooms holding two people each. So, you could have 6 girls in a single dwelling. It doesn't matter what the residential zoning laws are because a university is its own zone.

Greek Housing is generally considered unnecessary to a campus unless your organizations happen to do more good things than bad things, and then follow that up with Public Relations exposure. It's also prohibitively expensive. I know you pay a lot of tuition, but universities spend it on things like salaries and maintenance--they don't just sit on piles of money laughing at how you can't have cool things.

Also, if the reason you can't do something begins with, "there is an old bylaw buried away somewhere..." then that's not the reason.
GMU Greek Life Wiki * Unofficial Region X Portal
Old 06-25-2007, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

You mentioined days of yore, not today!

Those days of Laws that were enacted too are far gone from Ordinances (City) Laws (State).

Schools cannot make laws, they can only have rules and if they are private schools, that makes it so much easier. They can rule against said Ordinances and Laws, but not disobey them.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-25-2007, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsulian View Post
Seriously, consider for a moment who would create a brothel law. Ever recall a time in the history of Puritan-founded America that brothels were just popping up all over the place?
While we're on the subject of debunking myths, the Puritans founded Massachusetts Bay Colony, and as a result, were influential in New England. There was also some emmigration to the Chesapeake Bay region, but the Puritans never had the influence there that they did in New England. Puritan dominance of politics in New England had waned by the early 1700s.

Undoubtedly, Puritanism influenced the founding of the American Republic, but America is not "Puritan-founded."
Old 06-25-2007, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Kool and Right!

Oh, do not spit on the sidewalk!

When are some of these Kids get over the question of being Whore or not being a Whore?

It just isnt there anymore!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
While we're on the subject of debunking myths, the Puritans founded Massachusetts Bay Colony, and as a result, were influential in New England. There was also some emmigration to the Chesapeake Bay region, but the Puritans never had the influence there that they did in New England. Puritan dominance of politics in New England had waned by the early 1700s.

Undoubtedly, Puritanism influenced the founding of the American Republic, but America is not "Puritan-founded."
While we're at it...America is not founded upon judeo-christian principles. It's founded upon the principles of freedom of religion and separation of church and state. OMG it pisses me off when people play that card. Or the fact that In God We Trust wasn't added to money or the pledge of allegiance until the 50s I believe.
I'm not even American and I know this!

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 06-25-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

LMAO at the username change! I first saw it, I thought you were a troll or alter ego, lol.

Last edited by Dionysus; 06-25-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
LMAO at the username change! I first saw it, I thought you were a troll or alter ego, lol.
It shocked the hell out of me too, all of a sudden I was someone else and then I got a PM from John.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 06-25-2007, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkfriedrice View Post
While we're at it...America is not founded upon judeo-christian principles. It's founded upon the principles of freedom of religion and separation of church and state.
Just FYI, it wasn't until the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment, after the Civil War, that the "establishment clause" of the First Amendment was applicable to the states. Prior to that time, while the Federal government was constitutionally forbidden from establishing a particular church as the state church, state governments were not so forbidden, unless their own constitutions contained a similar provision.

The Congregational Church was not disestablished in Connecticut until 1818, and although Massachusetts de jure disestablished the Congregational Church in 1780, it was not de facto disestablished until 1833, when the laws requiring every man to belong to a church and giving churches the power of taxation over members were repealed.

At the time the US Constitution was adopted, the overriding concern was not the complete disestablishment of any church. Rather, the overriding concern was that decisions regarding establishment or disestablishment should be made by the states, not by the federal government.

Quote:
Or the fact that In God We Trust wasn't added to money or the pledge of allegiance until the 50s I believe. I'm not even American and I know this!
"In God We Trust" was not made the official national motto until 1956. However as far as money goes, the motto first appeared on the two-cent coin in 1864, under general authority given by Congress for the Mint Director and the Secretary of the Treasury to develop and approve of designs for coins. (There had been a fair amount of sentiment expressed that the motto be placed on the coin as the Civil War progressed.) It was in 1873 that Congress specifically said that the Secretary of the Treasury "may cause the motto IN GOD WE TRUST to be inscribed on such coins as shall admit of such motto."

It was used off and on on various coins for a while after that, but every penny since 1909, every dime since 1916, every gold coin or silver dollar coin, half-dollar coin, and quarter-dollar coins since 1908, and every nickel since 1938 has had it. It was not added to paper money until 1957.

Just trying to keep the info straight.