GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls

Old 07-14-2019, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Then vs Now - Sorority Quota and Total

I thought it might be kind of fun if anyone who remembers can post a rough idea of what quota and total were when you joined your sorority vs what it is on that campus now.

In 2004 at the University of British Columbia, quota was 15 and total was definitely under 50. I want to say 40-45.

In 2018 at UBC, quota was 33 and total was 98. (The highest quota we've had was 37 in 2017, while total was 107.)

So quota and total have doubled since my initiation year. The sororities have outgrown their chapter meeting rooms in the Panhellenic building - it opened the year I was initiated and everyone figured we were good for space lol.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

There were maybe 35 in my pledge class at Alabama in 1963. Now their NM classes are four times that.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Total at my campus in 1975 was 50. No one reached it. I remember wondering why we had it in our Panhellenic bylaws. We did not use quotas at the time.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Campus total was like 90. I think quota was around 20. Now quota is close to 50 and I have no idea what campus total is. It keeps going up.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=68424&page=5

This is an SEC thread from many years ago. It's interesting to see how much things have grown since then. It mentions Alabama having 1200 PNMs as a high number- don't they get over 2,000 now?

At my school, sororities were around 45-60 and we had formal NPC recruitment in 1998-2001 when I was there. Then they hit a slump mid 2000s, and went to informal only for a while and chapters were smaller. They're back to formal and each chapter is taking a pledge class of 15 (which is really good for the school). Greek life seems to be doing well nowadays there. Not sure what caused the downturn.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

When I started advising at UCLA in 2005, pledge classes were 25-28 new members. Then we got 2 amazing Greek life staffers (who are no longer there — thanks UCLA F&SL office!) who took NM totals to anywhere from 50 to 70 new members each year with QA. Chapter totals went from 125 to 200 members in about 7 years. Plus AXO and AGD recolonized. On the Fraternity side, I believe 6-7 Fraternities recolonized during that time.

AXiD would have also recolonized already by now and I don’t think that DDD would have shut down if UCLA still had those 2 Greek Life Advisors.

Last edited by ChioLu; 07-15-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

What was it about them that turned things up so much? That's a pretty good increase in a short time.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:05 PM

Fall 2005: Quota was I believe 15 or 16. Total was no more than maybe 80. Largest classes in my time there were like maybe 25-30. (Ex: My senior year if your chapter got QAs, it was closer to 30 and that was HUGE.)

Fall 2018: Quota was 52. Total around 170.

In that time, my alma mater has added 2 chapters (Phi Mu and Sigma Delta Tau.)

Prior to the addition of SDT, Q was as high as 65 or 70 around 2 or 3 years ago.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohio State:
Early 80s, campus total was 105 and quota was 25
Now, campus total is around 190 and quota 54.

There are fewer chapters now than when I was in school. Gone are Phi Mu, Sigma Delta Tau, Delta Phi Epsilon and Alpha Delta Pi
Added are Gamma Phi Beta and Alpha Omicron Pi

Between that time, Sigma Kappa was added and left. Zeta and Kappa left and came back.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
What was it about them that turned things up so much? That's a pretty good increase in a short time.
Just 2 amazing Fraternity/Sorority Advisors who are always promoting Greek Life! They have also been Consultants for other universities and increased membership at many schools. The Sorority Advisor helped increase membership in a similar way at UCSD before he came to UCLA.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
When I started advising at UCLA in 2005, pledge classes were 25-28 new members. Then we got 2 amazing Greek life staffers (who are no longer there — thanks UCLA F&SL office!) who took NM totals to anywhere from 50 to 70 new members each year with QA. Chapter totals went from 125 to 200 members in about 7 years. Plus AXO and AGD recolonized. On the Fraternity side, I believe 6-7 Fraternities recolonized during that time.

AXiD would have also recolonized already by now and I don’t think that DDD would have shut down if UCLA still had those 2 Greek Life Advisors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Just 2 amazing Fraternity/Sorority Advisors who are always promoting Greek Life! They have also been Consultants for other universities and increased membership at many schools. The Sorority Advisor helped increase membership in a similar way at UCSD before he came to UCLA.
Troy was my co-worker at the Dean of Students/Greek Life Office at San Diego State University (not UCSD) prior to leaving us for UCLA. That man has a passion for students and seeing that they have a positive experience. His boundless energy and expertise in Greek Life matters ensured high success for chapters and individual students alike. Our loss was your gain and now CSUDH's gain!

True and Constant
Old 07-17-2019, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Total was 45, Quota was 7 or 8 but we had formal rush twice every year- Sept and late January. I was a second term rushee.

Total is now 55, I think, but it changes so often now I don't know for sure! Quota is typically around 10 now. One formal recruitment per year now, obviously.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Total was 45, Quota was 7 or 8 but we had formal rush twice every year- Sept and late January. I was a second term rushee.

Wow ... two formal recruitments a year sounds like a lot of work!

Old 07-18-2019, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

At Florida in the sixties. Quota was determined by how many new members were needed to reach the University set total of sixty-five. It was difficult for everyone as there were so many PNMs that were disappointed because sometimes our quota was in the teens as were many other houses. All the houses would have loved to higher quotas.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

At U of WA in the late 90s quota was typically in the high 20s with Total I want to say in the mid 80s or low 90s.

Currently quota is typically in the mid to high 30s and total is much higher - I think around the mid 130s.

Since I was on campus 2 NPC chapters have returned that had previously left campus. One additional NPC chapter has come on and there are two others that are associated with the collegiate Panhellenic but are not NPC chapters. The latter 3 don't participate in formal recruitment.