GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,220
0 members and 1,220 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2005, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice to pnms beginning their College/University experience…

We give tons of advice about recruitment. What to wear/what not to wear.
But if you are a woman interested in joining a sorority it stands to reason you are a woman of some motivation and energy. Those qualities should not be wasted and there are a myriad of ways to ensure your college experience is the most varied and interesting it can be. I’m not sure if this is the correct forum for this and I know there have been similar threads, however I’m going to try this here and see what happens.
I hope other alumnae and actives will post their tips and recommendations for beginning your experience.

My recommendations for the very beginning of University life are:
A. Get a day planner or calendar. It’s not necessary that it be a blackberry, I still just use the paper kind and this works fine. Start writing down each event, class, lunch, studying. You’ll get a picture of how much work versus free time you have. This is so important in gauging which activities you want to add to your schedule and how much of a commitment you can reasonably give.
B. Find the library. I know that sounds funny, but I’m serious. Go now while it’s filled with only grad students. Figure out how to find it and use it. At larger Universities they offer tutorials on how to use the Library system. Be humble enough to take one, or simply say hello to the staff and ask how their system works. Don’t depend simply on your facility with the internet to do all of your research; books actually have some rather good qualities. Many outside materials for classes can only be found within a library. Also, scope out a good study spot and make appointments with yourself to be there at least 4x a week.
C. You may have received a Student Activities booklet, if not the list of your college’s various clubs and organizations will most likely be on their website. Pick three organizations you are interested in; contact them and make a date to go to their first meeting of the year. Were you president of the French club in High School? Well then go to the French Student Club on your campus. Did you write for the paper, make a date to go to their kick-off meeting. Do it now, as a freshman or sophomore. May people will tell you to wait and see and adjust. But I am saying get out there and get involved now! There is no reason to wait. Use your skills; meet people who have similar interests; this is what college is for. If you wait too long you’ll never go and check it out. Semesters fly by, I promise, and the thing you think you’re going to check out in August seems too hard to try and do in October and not worth it at all come next March. Do the things you are interested right now!
D. Go to office hours. You will find on your syllabus for each class that professors have office hours where students can go and ask questions about the lectures. No one uses them until right before the exam. Go the first or second week. Go in introduce yourself and ask 1 or 2 questions about the lecture and about what the professor’s expectations are. Keep going, at least twice a month. This pays off in ways you cannot imagine. Professors know your name, know you are interested. They see your paper and remember the conversations you have had. And when it comes time to obtain recommendations from a professor (and yes, there will come a time) you will have your choice of men and women who would be happy to write you a recommendation for grad school, a job or for homecoming queen.
E. Do your homework the very first week. Do all the reading. Don’t skip anything. You do not want to have to play catch-up right before the first exam. It is the worst feeling. Give yourself time to understand how much time you need to study and where on campus is the best place. In your room, the library, the local Starbucks. Give yourself some choices.

Okay, I’m sorry I’m so verbose but I get passionate and wordy when I think about all those women who are getting the opportunities of a lifetime and will fritter it away watching Full House repeats in their room. Or women who believe that getting a bid is the end of any effort on their part. There is so much else to do!
Okay I’m slowly climbing off my soap box. Whoo, it’s high up there.