GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,119
1 members and 2,118 guests
John

Old 09-16-2006, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Why not?
Because that's bullshit, thats why. Why do that to a bunch of kids who are being completely responsible.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2006, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Because that's bullshit, thats why. Why do that to a bunch of kids who are being completely responsible.

Thank You and True That!

Oh hell, never mind, just give them a kick in the teeth anyway for being safe college kids!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

If the Bus was taking the students to a Restaurant, and the Restaurant has the license to sell alcohol and the Restaurant is where it is purchased and consumed, then I fail to see where the school nor the SGA is responsible. The restaurant is responsible for the ID checking, etc. Not the person or entity (such as a school) that brought them there.

If you took an underage roommate to the bar, and they got served, and then the roommate left...who is going to get the citation from the ABC board? The bar, not the person that brought them there.

The school made a stupid call.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Simply because if the van/bus driver has done nothing wrong, then they have no probable cause for stopping said vehicle!

No search warrent then have not right to check the passengers unless the passengers got rowdy and cause problems.

Kevin, you want to field this as a up and coming Laywer?
Even if the van was pulled over by the police, the driver doesn't get charged with a "contributing to the deliquency of a minor". The police have to prove where they got the alcohol from. If they didn't get it from the driver and the driver didn't purchase it, then they cannot charge the driver.

Think about it, if the driver was responsible, then every cabbie would stop picking up people that call for rides from bars b/c of the liability.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
OK. I think the school made a real mistake here.

I think the kids were being responsible.

They weren't being completely responsible, though. They were breaking the law.

I don't even agree with the law. I'd like to see the drinking age lowered to 18.

Still, it always seems to come back to the law, though.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
Like adpiucf said, it is not that much different than offering condoms at the student health center.
Well, other than having sex isn't illegal. Yet.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum View Post
OK. I think the school made a real mistake here.

I think the kids were being responsible.

They weren't being completely responsible, though. They were breaking the law.

I don't even agree with the law. I'd like to see the drinking age lowered to 18.

Still, it always seems to come back to the law, though.

So its against the law to go to a bar, drink, and ride back home?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It is against the law to drink underage, yes.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
Quote:
Wait what? I am officially confused.. the bus isn't transporting underage people to a bar and telling them to go drink or something. The bus is for all ages to go to the city.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsuchelle View Post
Wait what? I am officially confused.. the bus isn't transporting underage people to a bar and telling them to go drink or something. The bus is for all ages to go to the city.
Also - can you go to a bar there even if you're underage and drink pop or something? The onus is on the BAR, not on the bus drivers or the college.

Stupid school.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Emory may have pulled the bus program because they felt they were enabling underage drinking and/or binge drinking. The bus gave the local police a prime opportunity to bust a bunch of underage drinkers, and I'm willing to bet the school didn't want to tarnish their reputation to prospective students or risk the liability of an overintoxicated student riding the bus to and from the bars and then coming home and suffocating in his own vomit, and the ensuing law suit from the kid's family which would surely go after Emory for money (because, after all, they provided the safe transportation allowing precious Junior to be placed in temptation's path).
Old 09-18-2006, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if it's geographically true for most campuses, but for my school (in the city) we have buildings located at places where there are restaurants, bars etc, nearby.

Our school has a similar bus system, but they would ONLY pick up and drop you off on campus buildings. So in a sense, you can go to a restarant then being picked up by the bus nearby in front of a school building. In that case, it would "sound" like the school is not encouraging underage drinking of all sorts. Just making sure that students get from building A to B safe.

of course, afterall, that doesn't stop people from drinking. But in this way, the school will feel they are not responsible for anything that happens to the student. But I do see another dilemma as to whether the bus driver will take the student or not....
Old 09-18-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
"This week, the school has ordered this stopped, claiming it was allowing underage students access to alcohol."

If they're underage, yes.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 09-18-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum View Post
If you're underage, yes.
So if you drive a cab and pick up someone drunk, you're supposed to card them to make sure they're of age?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think drinking underage was ever mentioned. I have taken SafeRide in Norman before, and I am 21. You can be of age and still get a PI...so yes, pulling over the vans and arresting the people in them is ridiculous and complete bullshit, especially when you are being responsible.

Its college, give me a break. Underage kids are going to drink. Why punish them for doing the right thing and not driving.