GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 306,225
Threads: 114,551
Welcome to our newest member, eveasdaray9626

Old 05-24-2003, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGDPrincess70
One of our sisters is a Creative Memories consultant, and she does the parties and stuff. All of us are now ADDICTED to scrapbooking. She gives us all kinds of pages and stickers and stuff, and lets us use her fancy cutting tools and stuff. It's so much fun. PNM's have commented in the past that our scrapbooks are nicer than some of the other sororities.

But she always makes us look bad because her scrapbooks are SOOOO much nicer than ours
Old 05-24-2003, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I think it's always nice to have scrapbooks displayed. You don't necessarily have to allot time for the girls to look at them. But, be sure to cover up the faces of any girls on Panhel or any Rho Chis.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PrincessHeather
has anyone heard of Creative Memories? It is a scrapbooking company that puts on parties. (like candle parties and stuff). sisters put these on all the time. We have even had a scrapbook party with the consultant at a chapter meeting!! Creative Memories consultants even put on workshops for us where they supply everything and you just bring the pictures.

As a former....I repeat....FORMER Creative Memories consultant, I have a few things that I want to let people know about that are thinking about these parties....

1) They are NOT FREE -- the cost for a basic workshop is $10 per person! You bring 8-10 pictures and the CNS (Consultant) gives you an album page and a long strip (12") and a triangle for the corner (its called a "Simple Steps" class). Then you use her personal trimmer ($19.50 to buy one) and her tape runner ($6.75 not refillable) to mount your pictures. The catch is this....that album page ONLY fits into CM albums (12x12 strap hinge style) -- so if you made a really cute page, you better own an album to put it in otherwise, those pictures are stuck on the page.

2) Most of the materials that CM markets and sells are NOT what they are cracked up to be, and they have TERRIBLE customer service from HQ. One of my friends had a BRAND NEW corner rounder (which are very cool by the way) but it was the old style -- CM had too many probs with it, so they re-did it. Anyway, this customer had just taken her rounder out of the box and it was broken -- CM REFUSED to refund her money. Instead they told the CNS to replace it with a new one, thus the CNS was out the money.

3) For the love of Pete -- DO NOT sign up to be a CM Consultant without knowing what you are getting into. The cost of the kit is about $300 -- then (they don't tell you this when you sign up) you have to keep an INVENTORY -- plus, you have to buy all the "free" stuff that you give to a hostess for holding a class or show. I lost $3000 to CM and I really want to make people better understand what they are getting into with it!

4) A Pro -- the albums are without a doubt the BEST on the market. They are very durable and great quality. The same size pages can be found at Michaels and the like (I think the ones I use are called Westrim maybe) -- as long as they are 12x12 strap hinge style. I would definitely say spend the money on the albums -- a 12x12 is $36 (sounds like a lot I know, but trust me its worth it).

5) The stickers and die cuts....eh - go to a scrapbook store for a much better selection (plus, at a store, you can buy just ONE sheet of lady bug stickers instead of a whole pack of assorted summer stuff, etc.).

6) Oh, another pro - the page protectors -- the off-brand ones I've seen at craft stores aren't as good. The CM ones are worth it and it really does help protect your pages from smudges and spills.

PLEASE PM me if you have any questions about CM stuff - I really want to be able to give you the info you need when you are thinking about doing your scrapbooks.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

AXO Alum, great post!
Old 05-25-2003, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Chloe173, that is saddest thing I have ever heard of. Nobody deserves to be treated the way those two or three girls were. A scrapbook should be used to show the sisters on adventures, goofing off, Greek Week, mixers and formals. I agree that it should be a good source of conversation between rushees and sisters. Using it to discriminate against the 'undesirables' is just plain sad and totally wrong. What is the point of displaying the scrapbooks if there are ulterior motives for it?

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 05-26-2003, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Hootie, the video scrapbook for rush is a cool idea!!!!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 05-26-2003, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Hootie, that is a fabulous idea! I am totally emailing my VP Recruitment when I'm done typing this.

I'd like to add to the "scrapbooking is worse than heroin" sentiment (or rather, that's what my friends back home refer to it as). I became Historian last year and I loaded up on CM stuff because one of my friend's mom's (an ADPi) is a consultant, and helped me sort out what was worthwhile to buy, etc. And then when I became Chaplain and passed on Historian to another girl, I had to buy my own! Damn this addiction!

Usually at Formal Recruitment we have the scrapbook lying out for the first 2 or 3 days and ask the girls if they'd like to see it at any point, or if they have seen it. (I especially asked because I was so proud of it. ) Most girls liked it, but only took a casual interest. Maybe Hootie's suggestion would work.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 05-26-2003, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie
Forget scrapbooks....do a scrapbook video. Seriously. We would rent a big screen tv and have it in the room the first night and we'd have a video slide show with music professionally put together and we showed it to all the PNM's so they got an idea of what we did and what fun we had.
We do this every year and get really good feedback!