GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 304,671
Threads: 114,432
Welcome to our newest member, gylkrifyl

Old 05-22-2003, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
Scrapbooks and Rush

Do you think that everyone should have one?
Do you think that there should be a time during rush that you sit down and show the pictures?
What would be their purpose?
We have scrapbooks but we never have time to get to them.

How does everyone structure their rush?
Old 05-22-2003, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this.

Do you mean, does your chapter have a scrap book? Do you mean is it just a scrap book of the rush events?

In my chapter, every year our historian puts together a scrap book of that years events. We usually have that scrap book an few from past years out to show our rushees the events and such that we did over the year.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
well, we have a chapter scrapbook
and we have individual scrapbooks that people made
the chapter scrapbok with all of the events is always on a table
but we have yet to structure our rush in a certain way
Old 05-22-2003, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
is just because there is a lack of time that the rushees never get a chance to look at the scrap books? If that's the case, is there a chance you could change the length of the parties.

Our rush is very different, because we're the only sorority on our campus, so we have a lot more time to spend with the rushees.

If you can't change the length of your parties, perhaps you could pass them around while people are talking. Although you do run the risk that the rushees will not be paying attention to what you have to say.

What we usually do is leave them out, and let the rushees have a look at them when they can.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
We used to make scrapbooks for rush but we cut them out last year because we felt like people were just talking about the pictures rather than sharing why they chose Pi Phi.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

We used to show our individual scrapbooks during the house tour. We would lay them out on our beds and while you were showing the rushee your room you could flip through it. I would point out pictures of certain events in the pictures and use them to steer the conversation.

I think showing scrapbooks are a great way to personalize your events. All houses say they have date parties and socials and formals, but it really means something to see the pictures and hear the sisters talk about their experiences from past events. "here's my date and I at last year's winter formal. This is when we present our new sisters right after initiation." or "This is a picture of me with my big sister during big sis/lil sis revealing. It's so much fun because we..." etc.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

We always have our scrapbooks out - so do most of the other chapters -- its a good way to get conversation going (especially if you are with a quiet one that doesn't talk) and to remind our newer members of all the events we do (sometimes its hard to remember all the stuff!) as they talk to the women.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

As a sort of compromise, you could have pictures in picture frames out around the room where you rush, and you could just casually point out a picture to talk about if the conversation runs dry. Even if you don't talk about them, the pnm will probably notice the pictures and the sisterhood that they represent. But at my school most of the houses show slide shows during one of the rounds, which sort of takes the place of scrapbooks too.

Sarah
Old 05-22-2003, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a scrapbook with a page for every member. We all made our own pages and included our interests, reason for joining, major, age, etc... this helps a lot when sisters can't make it to a rush event PNMs can still see what kind of women are represented in the chapter.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a Greek intro fair thing that they have in the student center prior to rush and we have our chapter scrapbook on display there. Also, during the first round of rush, all of the sororitie on campus show a video of various events and things.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't recall any scrapbooks from UW rush last year! A lot of the girls had pictures around the room during house tours, and in Tri Delta we all decorate the doors to our rooms with pictures and Tri Delta stuff.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

They are nice.....

If you use/see them! I was at a house where they had a scrapbook lying on the table and when I went to look at it was firmly told "NO! you can't see that!" And all I could think was "why in the hell do you have it out!?" I wouldn't have minded seeing it but was kinda muffed when the girl said that!
Old 05-22-2003, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

We use scrapbooks for round one. we have them set up on different tables around the room surrounded by other memoribilia. We do use them, mostly to help move conversation or to answer a question. If a pnm asked "how are you involved with community service?" a sister would answer "oh we do lots of things, for example we help out with a children's carnival every fall, here let me show you..." then they would walk over to a scrapbook and look at pictures of us doing that philanthropy as well as others. I think they show how sisters are really involved and what a great time we have together. The books are put away after first round though.

We also donate one scrapbook (with the px's stickered) along with the other chapters to the panhellenic interest table at the freshman orientation campus activities chair in the fall. They're pretty handy. They keep girls at the table and spark them to ask questions.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessHeather
We use scrapbooks out here too. We have some girls in my chapter that go all out with them (myself included). Since it is only us and one other group in Panhellenic we both have our scrapbooks out at the table in quad during informal and info days.

Back to the whole 'go all out deal', has anyone heard of Creative Memories? It is a scrapbooking company that puts on parties. (like candle parties and stuff). sisters put these on all the time. We have even had a scrapbook party with the consultant at a chapter meeting!! Creative Memories consultants even put on workshops for us where they supply everything and you just bring the pictures. Very cool. (These parties are a good idea for a social with other sororities too; we haven't done this but I'll let you all know how it works out)

Also, during Rush since there is no houses out here every party is on campus so we came up with something last year that worked very well to decorate the room and have the same feel as scrapbooks. We call them "Sister Boards". As our Membership Recruitment Chair last year, I went to the fabric store and bought tons of fabric. I tried to get a big variety of cute different patterns and then let the sisters pick what they wanted. I also gave them a big board of cardboard. (it pays to work in retail sometimes) Each sister in our chapter made their own board and put whatever they wanted on it. We then hung them up all over the room. They were so cute and they were a lot of fun to show all the pnm the different types of women in our sorority.

But anyway to sum up my entire post: I love scrapbooks!!

Last edited by PrincessHeather; 05-23-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by chloe173

I do remember one house though that seemed to have an ulterior motive for their scrapbooks. While touring this *name witheld* sorority during fall rush we came to a room that the girls said they used as their study room. It was decorated nicely and there were scrapbooks on the tables. However, sitting at the tables looking at the scrapbooks were 2 or 3 PNMs in my rush group who could be described as overweight. While I (and I assume most other girls) were quickly shown the room and ushered on to the next, these curvy women were forced to stay in that room and only meet one girl all day. I asked one of these girls in my rush group about it later, and she said that the entire time they were just forced to sit there with girls that weren't even very nice to them. I thought that was appalling. I dropped that house that day for other reasons, but I was also appalled that they would treat anyone that way. Sometimes rush is just so shallow.
So I would say, if you are going to use scrapbooks, don't use them just to seperate the "choice" girls from the "umdesirables"
This type of nonsense just appalls me! I keep thinking about that scene in Animal House where the "undesirables" are kept in the one section.

I've heard of Creative Memories. My future mother-in-law has already gotten me an album & tons of stickers etc, as her church had a Creative Memories party. Mine did, too, but that was when my mom was just out of the hospital & I couldn't go. Their website is awesome! I've done two scrapbooks for friends who turned 40 (!), and have 2 more planned. Once the creative muse strikes, there's no stopping me! I'd like to get my college years in a scrapbook, too, before it's too late and the pictures get funky.