GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,313
2 members and 1,311 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-04-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
The most basic option is under $40.
That's not bad at all! Heck, textbooks go for 5-10x that!

When I joined AEPhi, our only option was a 14k yellow gold badge with pearls. It was $75. You could also get a chapter guard - it had to be yellow gold set with pearls - for an additional fee. There is now a 10k gold option. I'm not sure what the badges are priced at today.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In the 80s, the cost of our badge was embedded in our initiation fee and it was compulsory. Today, sadly, it is an option. New members are initiated with their big sister's badges and given an order form to get their own. This takes time and some young women with financial difficulties never place that order, and therefore never own a badge. I don't know when this change took place but it saddens me when a young women tells me that she does not own a badge due to the cost. The most basic option is under $40. With the expense of membership, I strongly preferred the days that it was embedded into the initiation fees and every sister had one.

Aww...that's a shame. I had always assumed that all sororities required their members to wear their badges for ritual and formal meetings.

True and Constant
Old 12-05-2017, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

If her chapter is still standing, it may be lovely to donate one as an honor badge to her chapter - we have a badge that members can "borrow" for weddings. I wore my rescued pearl badge over my heart on my wedding day - my husband found it in a thrift shop, and recognized it because of "all those stinking arrows in the house".
I would LOVE to see pictures of those arrows. I love seeing old styles of the badge.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In the 80s, the cost of our badge was embedded in our initiation fee and it was compulsory. Today, sadly, it is an option. New members are initiated with their big sister's badges and given an order form to get their own. This takes time and some young women with financial difficulties never place that order, and therefore never own a badge. I don't know when this change took place but it saddens me when a young women tells me that she does not own a badge due to the cost. The most basic option is under $40. With the expense of membership, I strongly preferred the days that it was embedded into the initiation fees and every sister had one.
Just thought I'd point out that some fraternities have the same issues. I was an active at a large state university. Our members were from all types of families and from all walks of life and all social-economic backgrounds. Some of our members simply could not afford to buy a pin. As an active, I never even saw an active badge of my fraternity. And we were not offered one to buy, though I suspect some members did have them but never wore them. This local "tradition" had been well established long before I arrived.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post
If her chapter is still standing, it may be lovely to donate one as an honor badge to her chapter - we have a badge that members can "borrow" for weddings. I wore my rescued pearl badge over my heart on my wedding day - my husband found it in a thrift shop, and recognized it because of "all those stinking arrows in the house".
I would LOVE to see pictures of those arrows. I love seeing old styles of the badge.
What a lovely idea!

I recently had the opportunity to visit the founding chapter of my sorority (not Pi Phi - although I love your arrow badge) and they had a huge display of badges, including those encrusted with rubies, sapphires, diamonds and opals as well as pearls (which is the traditional stone for my sorority badge) as well as with very embellished engraving. It was such a treat
Old 12-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

My chapter of initiation has two special badges: a President's Pin, which had belonged to our chapter founder, and a Sister of the Year Pin, which had been donated to the chapter. I think it's a lovely idea!