GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 751
2 members and 749 guests
Titchou

Old 09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

My comment was in response to her saying "yes, you read that right" regarding that she was paying for it and was lamenting her situation. You are correct, it is NOMB, but then again, when something is posted, we all consider it "fair game" to comment upon, do we not? She brought up their finances. I certainly meant no disrespect. In fact, I have been feeling bad for her today b/c it seems like she is "herding cats" when it comes to her wedding party and I can empathize with how stressful that can be. I wish her only the happiest and most wonderful wedding ever. (and yes, I probably am stuck in the 1970's).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-06-2008, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

It is possible to show sympathy or concern without being rude and asking about personal information.

Just b/c someone posts something does not give you permission to ask questions that are not any of your business. It was obviously a venting post after all.

For all I know, ZTABullwinkle might not care, but if that was me and you asked me that, I'd consider it really rude b/c those details are really none of your concern.

One of my friends and her finance are paying for their whole shindig because both of their families are suffering some rough times due to layoffs and the crappy ecomony. That doesn't make his family bad people for not being able to pay for the rehersal dinner or her family bad people for not being able to pay for the whole wedding. Luckily, the two of them are financially in a good position and they don't give a flying squirrel that "tradition" says that the groom's family pays for something and the bride's family is supposed to pay for something else. Couples paying for all or parts of their own weddings is actually more common than you might think nowadays.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Let's end this discussion. While I am a bit upset that we have to pay for the rehearsal dinner, I understand that his family doesn't have that kind of money to pay for it. I am not happy about it, but it is what it is. As long as this time next week, we are headed to bed and ready for our honeymoon, I will be a very happy bride.

We are getting married at 35 (me) and 34 (him). So it is much later in life. I however am unable to work because of a bum knee. I would have appreciated some help for the rehearsal dinner, but understand that is not possible.

At this point, I want to have a great wedding where everyone realized how much love and effort went into the planning. We just got home from the joint Bachelor/Bachelorette dinner. We had fun (up until I fell in a puddle of water - typical for me) playing games and hanging out.

I look at it this way. If they leave early, their loss! We have Coldstone coming in for a "favor" to mix custom ice cream. I have sparklers for the send-off. I am bound and determined to throuroughly enjoy my wedding day with my groom. While he may claim to not care, I am most sad for him that this is going on. I want his family to care for him as much as he deserves. With that, I am off to take some Aleve and cuddle. No more single Saturday night for this ZTA! Thanks everyone. I was starting to feel like I was bridezilla about it all!

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 09-07-2008, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTABullwinkle View Post
Let's end this discussion. While I am a bit upset that we have to pay for the rehearsal dinner, I understand that his family doesn't have that kind of money to pay for it. I am not happy about it, but it is what it is. As long as this time next week, we are headed to bed and ready for our honeymoon, I will be a very happy bride.

We are getting married at 35 (me) and 34 (him). So it is much later in life. I however am unable to work because of a bum knee. I would have appreciated some help for the rehearsal dinner, but understand that is not possible.

At this point, I want to have a great wedding where everyone realized how much love and effort went into the planning. We just got home from the joint Bachelor/Bachelorette dinner. We had fun (up until I fell in a puddle of water - typical for me) playing games and hanging out.

I look at it this way. If they leave early, their loss! We have Coldstone coming in for a "favor" to mix custom ice cream. I have sparklers for the send-off. I am bound and determined to throuroughly enjoy my wedding day with my groom. While he may claim to not care, I am most sad for him that this is going on. I want his family to care for him as much as he deserves. With that, I am off to take some Aleve and cuddle. No more single Saturday night for this ZTA! Thanks everyone. I was starting to feel like I was bridezilla about it all!
You is good folks, Bullwinkle. I'm sure everything will be great, and your groom is lucky to have YOU to care for him as much as he deserves. Hope this week flies by, and that your wedding is magical, and the beginning of many happy years with your Zeta Beau.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh man. A few weeks ago, I received an invitation for a wedding that included this little note:

"Wishing Well

To save you looking, shopping, and buying,
Here is an idea we hope you like trying.
Consider the use of the Wishing Well!

Now you have the choice
Please do not fuss
The most important thing of all
Is that you come celebrate with us!"

Cute rhyme aside, this is freaking crazy!!! Who told them that this was appropriate?

I won't be going, but not because of the tackiness of this whole debacle.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ so are they basically saying "instead of buying us a gift, give us your money instead?"
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
You is good folks, Bullwinkle. I'm sure everything will be great, and your groom is lucky to have YOU to care for him as much as he deserves. Hope this week flies by, and that your wedding is magical, and the beginning of many happy years with your Zeta Beau.
agreed.... Hopefully this next week is not too nutty and the big day goes off without a hitch
Old 09-07-2008, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got an invitation that was very nice but at the bottom in small print was a request for the guests to not wear any perfume or cologne. Is this appropriate? I can understand it if someone has severe allergies but to print it on your invitation? Weird.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

^^My only guess for that one is that either the bride or groom have really bad allergies, and that was the easiest way to make sure everyone knew that wearing perfume/cologne wasn't a good idea.

I found out earlier this week that the jeweler FI bought my engagement ring from is going out of business! I'm not happy that our warranty is now no longer worth the paper it's printed on, but I'm glad that we can get an awesome deal on our wedding rings. 299 days to go...
Old 09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

That's the thing. I called the bride & she said that no one has an allergy that she is aware of. Her future mother-in-law had the printing company put this on the invites b/c she doesn't like the smell of any perfume but her own. I was like WTF? Just for that, I'm going to douse myself in the stuff.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Giorgio.
I hate the stuff, but I'd drench myself in it and stand next to mog.
(I'm trying to be a better person, truly I am . . . )
Old 09-07-2008, 03:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Oh man. A few weeks ago, I received an invitation for a wedding that included this little note:

"Wishing Well

To save you looking, shopping, and buying,
Here is an idea we hope you like trying.
Consider the use of the Wishing Well!

Now you have the choice
Please do not fuss
The most important thing of all
Is that you come celebrate with us!"

Cute rhyme aside, this is freaking crazy!!! Who told them that this was appropriate?

I won't be going, but not because of the tackiness of this whole debacle.
Haven't read the whole thread but this is beyond tacky. Worse than when those fools at bed bath and beyond and other home places tell you place registry cards in your wedding invites
Old 09-07-2008, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
That's the thing. I called the bride & she said that no one has an allergy that she is aware of. Her future mother-in-law had the printing company put this on the invites b/c she doesn't like the smell of any perfume but her own. I was like WTF? Just for that, I'm going to douse myself in the stuff.
OMGWTFBBQ!!!

If anyone besides myself or the groom put ANYTHING like that on the wedding invitation (or anything thing else that WE didn't put on it) I would be livid!!! OMG.

I think you should start a grassroots effort to make sure all the men show up doused in STETSON! LOL

Last edited by texas*princess; 09-07-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

question -- adults only wording on invitation

One of my friends doesn't want any munchkins running around like wild monkeys (my words not hers.. lol) at her wedding or reception.

What is a nice way to word this (adults only) on an invitation?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
One of my friends doesn't want any munchkins running around like wild monkeys (my words not hers.. lol) at her wedding or reception.

What is a nice way to word this (adults only) on an invitation?

My cousin put "Adult Only Reception" in small print at the corner of her wedding invitation. Then she had her mom spread it word of mouth that no children would be allowed at the ceremony which started a nice family drama. LOL!