GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Nu

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,573
1 members and 2,572 guests
Joobee

Old 10-06-2011, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Question lavaliering

Hi,
My name is corey mcnew. I serve as the chaplain for the theta sigma colony (we're oh so close to that charter) at missouri state university, and I had a question about lavaliering a girl. Specifically, me lavaliering my girlfriend. She just joined a sorority and is immersing herself in the collegiate greek culture, and I think she'd appreciate this.

Problem is, I don't know too much about it, I read what some of the ladies on this site had to say about it, but I'm more interested in what fellow sigma nu guys have to say.

Anybody have experience with this? Any traditions your chapter had?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 AM

Ask your colony director (or whatever you call him in Sigma Nu land) if lavaliering is permissible for you at all. Since you're still in colony status, I assume you haven't been initiated - and giving away your letters before you even got them would not be cool. Even if you have been initiated, I would wait a while.

Lavaliering isn't just "something [someone] would appreciate." It shows that you value that person as much as you value the bonds made in your GLO. You have a ways to go before you understand exactly what those bonds entail.

Last edited by 33girl; 10-09-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: to make the post make sense
Old 10-09-2011, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Lavaliering isn't just "something [someone] would appreciate."

Sorry for any confusion, when I used the word "appreciate," I meant it's actual definition (to recognize the full worth of) rather than just a synonym for the word "like, or enjoy". This is my girlfriend of 4 years, we live together, and I love her dearly. Lavaliering is something I had heard of and wanted more information on. But you do make a good point on the rules for colony situations. I'll look into that.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Check the rules of your colony status. That said, are you and your brothers allowed to wear the letters & the badge? After you find out the rules on this it is pretty straightforward.

You can 'drop' your serious girlfriend with your fraternity letters - but make it a special occasion for her, a surprise. In our chapter after you did this the brothers would tie you to the house flagpole, in your boxers and cover you in all kinds of stuff we found in the fridge. Then call the girl and only she can let you free....

In our chapter it was considered like a promise ring. Pre-pre engagement type of situation. Not sure what your chapter will define it as.

Last edited by banditone; 10-11-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

It's happened several times in our chapter, but I've only been able to witness one of them. From what I've heard and witnessed, there's usually just a small ritual, which has been written up by the brother lavaliering the female with the help of the chaplain, and then voted on by the rest of the chapter. Our most recent ritual was made with the help of several alumni, though, and is going to be used for future lavaliering ceremonies as well. Nothing too special, but it's a neat ceremony. Also, since you say that y'all are very close to finishing your colonization, why not wait just a little bit longer so you don't have to worry about the colony status?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Old thread, but FWIW, nothing in The Law would specifically forbid lavaliering. As a colonist, the only two things you can't wear are the badge and the crest.

That said, it does raise an interesting point. Colonists are not Sigma Nus per se. They are probationary members--like candidates.

I think it comes down to your campus' individual culture more than anything else. Are other fraternities' pledges lavaliering their girlfriends? It seems unlikely... but if they are, why not?

I was a colony member for 3 years. During that time, I think we had a few lavalierings. No one really thought anything of it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
What's new Kevin? How you been?