GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,209
0 members and 1,209 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Realization

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelo212 View Post
I figured since this is a retro thread that you were trying to set up the storyline....
20/20 hindsight definitely makes a story read quite differently than a live one!

And you ARE being brutally honest.
I hope my honest recollection will help PNM's

My entire freshman year I heard tons of stereotypes of the different sororities.

Here were the sorority tiers (each person was definitely biased, so again take this info with a grain of salt). I am saying the tiers to prove a point. If you would like to know why it was tiered this way, PM me and i will write you.

Jenny and Ryan
Serena
Dan
Vanessa
Blair

Bottom
Marissa and Nate
Summer
Seth
Chuck

HERE ARE THINGS I HAVE LEARNED:

1) DO NOT BE STUBBORN!!!! everyone on GC and during recruitment said to have an open mind. Have an open mind EACH DAY of recruitment.go through the ENTIRE process and pick what you think is best for you ONLY at pref. You meet ppl everyday that will be swinging your vote. Getting so attatched after 45 min of visiting a house is not rational.

2) DO NOT listen to tent talk. Some PNM's are telling you their favorite houses suck. This is so you will rank them low and they will rank them high. Yes, in some schools- including mine- this does happen. Therefore, keep your mouth shut and do what you believe is for you.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Take 2

Like I told you, there are several twists and turns that happened during my recruitment process.

Here is twist #1. lol.

I went through formal recruitment the following year. Being a sophomore, i knew, would not be a positive thing.

I just saw Cassie experience all these things through being in Dan that I had wanted to experience in college- date parties, formals, community service, etc. It seemed like each time she went out, she came home with such an amazing story/memory. I loved the friends I had, but I wanted to be more involved in my school. In a school composed of over 45,000 students, i really wanted to find my niche at _____ university. my friends and i did more in the city than we did in the school.

So hear we go again!!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread. I really like when people can be honest about how superficial they may have been as freshmen, I definitely know I went through rush making some very superficial decisions that embarrass me now. Such a fun read, please update soon!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

DAY 1

Nate Archibald- I went in with a total open mind. I remember talking to 3 girls. it was nice.

Chuck Bass- again, the house just felt so barren. 2 PNM's per an active. When the active found out I was a sophomore, she kind of stopped talking to me and only concentrated on the other freshman PNM

Blair Waldorf- i had a letter of rec to this house. One of my friends' girlfriends was in this house 2 and I ended up talking to her a lot. I do not remember much of the conversations though.

Serena van der Woodsen- this house was still way dark. But i had an amazing conversation with this one girl. She was so funny. I remember talking to her about gilmore girls. We also talked alot about the dance team (I was going to audition and shes been in dance forever). i remember laughing like crazy with her.

Dan Humphrey- I have been to this house several times and knew just about every girl because of cassie. Cassie came and said a quick hi, i know she was busy doing whatever she had to do on her side of recruitment. I love Cassie, but I knew I wasn't a Dan. I think she knew it too.

Vanessa Abrams- This house still felt like home. I got into a conversation with the girl about their house cook and how he made these excellent desserts. we laughed.

Jenny Humphrey- One of my floormates was a Jenny. We loved each other, so I was excited to come here. Since I knew the area of the school better, we talked about the shopping and boutiques in the area that we liked.

Ryan Atwood- again, was everyone in this house blonde? man. I did not know anyone in this house, but i just went in and hoped for the best. i got seated with this one girl who ended up knowing one of my best guy friends. we talked about the funny shenanigans he pulled.

Seth Cohen- I knew a girl here who deactivated. She ended up telling alot of the sororities secrets to anyone who would listen. this made me sad. i didnt say her name or ask about it during this recruitment party. nice girls, not for me.

Marissa Cooper- this house still had the home feel. (FLASH FORWARD: remember that guy on the yacht that i knew from my hometown? well after recruitment, i talked to him a few times and was like 'duuuddde you went on a yacht for a sorority event?' and he told me a few things. This guy was one of the most 'popular' guys in his high school and was infamous for cheating on girls. I know thats not commendable, but I've known him for years. Turns out he dated that girl in the sorority for like 2-3 years and cheated on her. all of the sisters of marissa hated him). I was respectful and nice during the recruitment party but decided that my friendship with a person I have known for over 5 years was more worth it.

Summer Roberts- this house was nice. I was paired with an eager freshman PNM and didnt have much room to talk

now to the ranking

1 Serena
1 Ryan
1 Jenny
1 Nate
1 Blair
1 Summer
1 Vanessa
1 Dan

2 Chuck
3 Seth
4 Marissa

Since i was a sophomore and recruitment is pretty competitive, I would be happy with one from my tops. I did not expect a full schedule. I was just trying to keep an open mind.

OK GCer's bed time. Day 2 is to come.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

could you hurry it up a little??? I'm impatient ... I'm glad you decided to tell your story. This will help so many PNM's, IMO. I went to a midwestern school with only 5 sororities and I think things could have been different for so many including myself if I just would have not listened to other people. (But I would still be an A XI).
Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

i love your story! please continue when you are able.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
I'm hooked! I can't wait to hear more!

J2
ΣАІ
ΚΚΨ
University of Kentucky
Old 09-07-2008, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

How long ago was this?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I love this story! Keep going please
Old 09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

come on more more more

Old 09-07-2008, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2

I remember feeling a HUGE deja vu at this point. I remember walking up to our group leader and getting my paper that had my schedule. I didnt even look at it!!!

I just started walking towards the houses. If I was standing in fron of the houses, I knew i wouldnt do what I did last year and walk away.

I thought to myself "dude, last year, some of the houses that invited me back to Day 2, i easily dismissed because they were on the bottom of my list last year. Now I WANT them on my list."

"screw it" I thought as I stood in front of sorority row and I flung open my schedule to see what it looked like:

Blair
Serena
Jenny
Ryan
Seth
Marrissa

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, WHATTTTTTTT?!?!?!?!?!??!?! I mean how did I end up with ALOT of my number ones?!?!?!?!

I was so confused. I had just prepped myself to hope for the worst. now i was in utter shock.

I was a little wierded out that I was not invited to Dan. I knew Cassie and Linette were pulling for me hardcore. I thought I would be the one to rank them low. honestily though, that thought was a 5 secon thought. I was still in shock about my amazing list!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

stop teasing and just post the whole story for me PLEASE???
Old 09-07-2008, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

ok so Marissa and Ryan were your tops from freshman year, and now Marissa is at your bottom, but NOW Marissa is on your schedule!

but you also got Serena! bah! this one is getting really good.

(i dont watch Gossip Girl, but have read all the books, so still excited!)
Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2... continued

Blair
Serena
Jenny
Ryan
Seth
Marrissa

Blair Waldorf- I got picked up by my good guy friends girlfriend. This kind of bothered me because 1) I knew she wasnt really involved with her house and 2) I already met her the 1st day. But the 'picking up' of the PNM's was way random (line of actives that picked up a PNM based on where they were in line). I was handed off to another active and she asked me the standard questions. I tried to veer away from these questions by asking her questions that were not 'typical' (I asked things like "have you gone to 'this mall'? I used to work at 'this place'." and she would answer, "oh thats so cool, i love their stuff. where's your hometown?") blah.

I left blair still EXTATIC about my amazing list!

Serena van der Woodsen- I was paired up with a girl who looked oddily like me. we laughed about that. This one active even came up to us and was like "tania, is that you sister who is going through recruitment you were talking about (I guess her REAL sister was going through recruitment). My name is lisa, ive heard so much about you!" Tania and I looked at each other and laughed. Then we explained to the active. She laughed with us. These girls really seemed interested in what I was saying. It was a totally different level. I left loving the girls. I loved that the active knew that tania's sister was going through recruitment. At alot of the houses, it almost seemed like when they 'switched girls' the sisters did not even know each other. but tania and the other active knew each other and looked like good friends! It was different this time. the house itself no longer looked like the 'dark' house I thought it was. Now it was just pleasent and beautiful. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Jenny Humphrey- Met a BEAUTIFUL girl and we talked about dance team in high school and how we both could not master this one move. They did a skit. This was cool because my floormate was in it and when everyone was pointing at people in the skit, she pointed at me a zillion times and made eye contact. As we headed to the door, I bumped into the girl who was the lead of the skit. I told her she did amazing. She thanked me and asked for my name and introduced herself (it was SUPER nopisy since we were near the door. I hope she heard me!!!)

Ryan Atwood- As I waited outside with the rest of the PNM's I kind of felt out of place here. I could feel myself thinking of how I should act. These PNM's weren't like the PNM's at Serena. They were all Regina George (mean girls) clones. Despite this, I walked in the house when I was instructed. The first active went really well. then the second active came. We were talking about all kinds of things from our favorite campus diners to the guy in the library who always sleeps in the same place at the same time everyday (true story). I left the house still stoked about my schedule. I didnt know what to make of Ryan because the actives seemed so cool, but the PNM's (and my potential pledge class) were girls that really made me feel uncomfortable. I didnt want to turn into something i was not. confused

Seth Cohen- I really did not like it here. It was very 'by the book' conversation. same questions that the girl asked the day before. Honestily, since that girl who deactivated this house kind of let out some of their ritual, it didnt seem special. i know thats harsh, but ritual is so secretive and very inticing. Without it, it just isnt the same.

Marissa Cooper- I felt wierd being in this house. I mean, I had wanted it so much last year. now it was on the very bottom of my list (?!?!) It was cool that they asked me back, but I know how loyal i am to friends. I know I cannot be in a house with many of the sisters hating one of my good friends (the girl from Marissa took the break up very hard and still had not gotten over it.) I kept repectful, but definitely did not go out of my way to ask tons of questions.

now to the ranking (4 number 1's)

1 Serena
1 Ryan
1 Jenny
1 Blair

2 Seth
3 Marissa

Today was so smooth that it scared me about tomorro (Day 3). Could things only go good for so long???
Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 PM

I am really enjoying your story. You point out some stuff that you've learned in hindsignt that all PNMs could benefit from knowing..

Lakers Nation.