GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,281
1 members and 1,280 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I liked the OP's candor too, and frankly, I don't think she said anything too negative or innapropriate. If the majority of the girls in a chapter seem to look similar, it's only natural to notice!

I believe in friendships formed at the spring time of my youth...

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 09-04-2007, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

The candor is refreshing and fun to read, but it's kind of complicated when you think someone might be setting herself up for a negative outcome.

It's certainly not that I want a negative outcome for her, but when a junior at a competitive school is making a lot of superficial judgments first round, it doesn't seem to typically equal recruitment success.

Let's hope that the new junior quota and littlemissvixen's merit get a different outcome this time around!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Peoria?
Yeah, one of my sisters who is from Peoria says that the U of I's relationship with ICC is really strong -they have worked with them a lot on making classes cross over and transferring to the UofI for your bachelors very easy- and there are hints that they're developing it towards becoming a full branch of the university.

Their med school is there as well I think so it's certainly not a crazy idea. I have no idea of any sort of timeline or if it's a done deal or not. It's just out there at this point I think.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Yeah, one of my sisters who is from Peoria says that the U of I's relationship with ICC is really strong -they have worked with them a lot on making classes cross over and transferring to the UofI for your bachelors very easy- and there are hints that they're developing it towards becoming a full branch of the university.

Their med school is there as well I think so it's certainly not a crazy idea. I have no idea of any sort of timeline or if it's a done deal or not. It's just out there at this point I think.
Wait, wait, wait....

HARVARD ON THE HILL IS (possibly) GOING TO BE A U of I BRANCH???????????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

My mom actually worked at the UofI AIDS clinic for awhile. She loved that job. The only thing she didn't like is "back then" people still weren't living like they are now, and so she was constantly having to deal with client's deaths.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebutsmart View Post
littlemissvixen's comments are one of the reasons that make me think twice about sorority life. I hope she is the exception rather than the rule. I know there wasn't much time, but all of the comments seemed focused on appearances.
Remember - she isn't a sorority member - she is a rushee. This just goes to show that it isn't always the sorority members who are looks-focused. Many times, it's the exact opposite.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
It is Champaign-Urbana, and it is U of I. HOWEVER, even when I was there, the university seemed to be pushing to get us to stop calling it U of I and call it UIUC. Like my student ID said UIUC, etc. They told us that there is U of I in Chicago, etc. so our campus truly should be called UIUC. So, U of I people would certainly be familiar with the UIUC terminology, although in speaking we would refer to it just as U of I.

As for why it would be UIUC and not UICU I have no idea. The place rocks though so no criticism from me.

Oh, and OTW - just saw your question - UIUC is different now than when I was there, so DBB would know this better than I would. We only had fall formal rush and I don't think anybody COBd. I don't think they have spring recruitment even now, but several chapters do participate in COB after formal. So, to answer your question, I would think that all juniors - no all students - interested in getting a bid would go through fall formal.

And yes, juniors routinely get bids at UIUC, but they do tend to have fewer options than sophomores and freshmen.

As for the OP, I think even now most of the chapters there are pretty even and the school isn't hell-bent on tiers (although they do exist.) Unless things have changed dramatically, which I have heard they haven't, most chapters have a good deal of members who are stellar, since the PNM pool is very impressive there. Give each group a chance and maybe you will find the kind of girls you are looking for, even in chapters where you least expected it.

Down here at UIC (I might as well just spill out my alma mater ) we just call U of I ...well, U of I or Urbana Champaign. We do know about the uiuc term, but I guess we all got used to call you guys up there U of I. Just like people in the city would used to call UIC the Circle Campus.

I know a few people in U of I, and you're right about most sororities being equal, though I know a couple sororities which a considered top notch there. But nonetheless, the OP should give it an open mind and not to kill her options.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_cat_4ever View Post
But nonetheless, the OP should give it an open mind and not to kill her options.
Such as saying that a sorority was "desperate" and "unkempt" and then letting everyone know it was the "Jewish" sorority, of all details to give away...
Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Such as saying that a sorority was "desperate" and "unkempt" and then letting everyone know it was the "Jewish" sorority, of all details to give away...

lol...seriously, people can easily track down who the OP is...

well, good luck to her nonetheless!

But one of the sororities really amused me

Quote:
5. Empowermint
Um, I don't know why I listed this- this is the engineering sorority. Maybe I'm missing one? We didn't go around to see this one.
I was a bit confused. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I thought the OP was going through an NPC rush? I wasn't aware of that one of the NPCs was a engineering sorority? Or do all sororities (including no NPC) do rush all together?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was a bit confused. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I thought the OP was going through an NPC rush? I wasn't aware of that one of the NPCs was a engineering sorority? Or do all sororities (including no NPC) do rush all together?
I think she's talking about Sigma Alpha, which is probably listed on the Greek Life page...and when she made her cheat sheet/code names maybe she didn't realize that Sigma Alpha didn't rush with the NPCs? Or maybe they do, but I wouldn't think so.

ETA: Illinois' Greek Life site is sort of confusing. There's nothing that says "Here are the sororities that participate in Formal Rush" or "Here are the NPCs". They're all lumped together, including locals, professionals (some of them, I'm sure they have more that what's listed) and even 4-H.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 09-05-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

No, I was confused- all the sororities, even some without houses, are in our books, and I accidentally put that one in and left one out (which I am adding to the end, so there will be a #19). We didn't go around to the Engineering sorority!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, one more thing- there's more than one Jewish sorority on campus, so that detail doesn't give it away.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissvixen View Post
Oh, one more thing- there's more than one Jewish sorority on campus, so that detail doesn't give it away.
You beat me to it. Many GCers are used to just one Jewish sorority on campus, and it being an unpopular chapter. Certainly not the case at my alma mater.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissvixen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
You beat me to it. Many GCers are used to just one Jewish sorority on campus, and it being an unpopular chapter. Certainly not the case at my alma mater.
I'm pretty sure, though, that if someone from that chapter was reading, they would know who you were talking about. That's what I'm saying.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
You don't give GC sleuths enough credit... it is amazing what we can figure out with a just a few meager bits of information. Even if they seem innocuous.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I think she's talking about Sigma Alpha, which is probably listed on the Greek Life page...and when she made her cheat sheet/code names maybe she didn't realize that Sigma Alpha didn't rush with the NPCs? Or maybe they do, but I wouldn't think so.
Sigma Alpha is agricultural. Alpha Omega Epsilon is engineering.

I looked on their site, and there are 18 groups of PNMs even though there are 23 groups shown on the Panhel site. This would omit the 2 agricultural groups, the engineering group, the multicultural group, and the group that I thought was closing.