GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,611
0 members and 1,611 guests
No Members online

Old 08-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Advice to incoming freshmen on campus safety...

Anyone have any words of wisdom to potential rushees regarding safety on campus?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-02-2006, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Always be aware of your surroundings. I come from a urban campus and at night they have a van that will come and pick you up at the building you're at and take you to anywhere on campus (parking lot/dorm). Don't be scared to go on your campus but also don't think nothing will happen to you.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

LOCK YOUR LAPTOP when you're not in your room. In fact, I always suggest that Freshmen get desktop computers instead.

Guys: NO MEANS NO. Always. Just stop. And a yes when a girl has been drinking is STILL a no. Just walk away.

That's all I can think of right this second.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 AM

*When walking somewhere at night, remember that there is SAFETY IN NUMBERS. If you find yourself walking somewhere at night alone, stick to the WELL LIT AREAS.

*Ladies, when you are walking to your car at night, have your keys in YOUR HAND before you walk outside. That way you don't have to fumble around in your purse looking for them in the parking lot.

*As always, if you're at a bar/club/party, DO NOT ACCEPT A DRINK from someone you don't know. I don't care how hot he or she is.

*If you have a roomie, keep your computer password protected. If he or she wants to use it, make sure you are in the room. (My friends' roomie took one of her essays off of her computer for a class that they were taking together).

*If you know that your roomie has a habit of bringing people into your dorm to hang out, hide/lock up your valuables or anything you don't want someone to take. Your roomie could be the nicest person in the world, but you never know about some of their friends.

*If you're in the library, student center, or some other high traffic area, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR STUFF UNATTENDED. It might not be there when you get back. I lost a $50 textbook that way.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

campus safety

Freshman should attend the dorm meetings that are held throughout the semester. Knowing what is going on in your surroundings is a good thing.

It would be wise to try to meet and get to know your campus police . It is always good to know what services that they have to offer , such as nightly shuttle services, safety forums, community events etc.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JocelynC

*Ladies, when you are walking to your car at night, have your keys in YOUR HAND before you walk outside. That way you don't have to fumble around in your purse looking for them in the parking lot.

Just a small addition to this one. If you hold those keys with your hand in a fist, one key sticking out between each finger, they can be a good weapon.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Most campuses have Blue Emergency Light stations. Know where they are. Ususally there are enough that you can keep one in sight at all times.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are going to get drunk on campus be smart about it, don't trash the halls, don't give in to peer pressure, and don't do drugs.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JessicaSideways Send a message via MSN to JessicaSideways Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaSideways Send a message via Skype™ to JessicaSideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Most campuses have Blue Emergency Light stations. Know where they are. Ususally there are enough that you can keep one in sight at all times.
I know for a fact that many parking lots on the Hill here in Boulder, CO for many establishments and shopping centres have those same Emergency lights. This is worth noting as many houses (if not all) are in the Hill but the Hill is not CU property. Furthermore, the Boulder Police have a station in the Hill neighbourhood (13th & College), so it's quite possible you can get a fast response from either Boulder or CU-Boulder police (I see them driving around my apartment complex pretty often because we're on the East side of CU).
Old 08-14-2010, 04:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
LOCK YOUR LAPTOP when you're not in your room. In fact, I always suggest that Freshmen get desktop computers instead.

Guys: NO MEANS NO. Always. Just stop. And a yes when a girl has been drinking is STILL a no. Just walk away.

That's all I can think of right this second.
Just a quick note on this from a friend of mine who is a wealth of information on the subject of sexual assault.

In most states, there is a law that states that when a person is under the influence of any mind-altering substances, such as drugs or alcohol, they cannot legally consent.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerylle View Post
Just a quick note on this from a friend of mine who is a wealth of information on the subject of sexual assault.

In most states, there is a law that states that when a person is under the influence of any mind-altering substances, such as drugs or alcohol, they cannot legally consent.
Yeah, this is true, however it gets into a lot of really fuzzy places when both parties are drunk. /topic best saved for someplace other than GC or even its own thread. But, if guys have gone to the trouble of getting consent, getting a specific YES, it will go a long way towards protecting both parties.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Yeah, this is true, however it gets into a lot of really fuzzy places when both parties are drunk. /topic best saved for someplace other than GC or even its own thread. But, if guys have gone to the trouble of getting consent, getting a specific YES, it will go a long way towards protecting both parties.
Right, of course. I was just pointing out that it's a law in most states. Ironic that you bring up the mutual drunk point though, as that's what my friend and I were discussing last night. It was a rather amusing conversation to say the least.

Also, thanks for all the tips everyone. Dunno if anyone has actually come out and thanked you all, but I know all of these will probably come in handy the first few weeks of school.

I <3 Greek Chat.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

It's good to learn that some students at Texas are making the effort to get help for roommates / friends who have alcohol poisoning symptoms. Station KXAN reports:

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/educati...ts-ut-students

Excerpts: [I]
ALMETRIS DUREN HALL, 2624 Whitis Ave: Public Intoxication / Consumption of Alcohol by a Minor: A UT student heard her roommate having an extreme physical reaction to the over consumption of alcohol. The student found her roommate sitting on the shower floor not being responsive. UT Police Officers arrived and detected a very strong odor of alcohol on the UT student's breath and the wafting aroma of vomit. Austin EMS treated the subject at the scene for alcohol poisoning. During the investigation, the officers learned the student was in the process of pledging a sorority. Occurred on: 8-25-10, at 3:43 AM.

HARDIN HOUSE, 2206 Rio Grande: Assist Outside Agency / Public Intoxication: A UT student notified the UT Police Department that her roommate was involved in the pledging process and was bidding to join a sorority. The student reported finding her roommate inside their bathroom losing consciousness and foaming at the mouth. Due to the seriousness of the call, the UT Police Officers responded along with Austin EMS. Occurred on: 8-25-10, at 2:59 AM.[/B]
Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Where the hell do y'all live?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Where the hell do y'all live?
Please... there is crime EVERYWHERE. Don't fuel the falacy that it doesn't happen, even jokingly. I went to a private school my first two years and I can tell that it doesn't matter how much you pay or what town your school is in.

College is so full of new experiences, that sometimes it's hard to see what is happening right in front of you (or behind you). Criminals prey on the non-suspecting.

A girl in my suite (of 10) was raped in her own bed on the first Thursday night of classes. How? She had gone to a party and left her keys and ID (she had one of those plastic id holders) somewhere at the party. Someone took them and followed her home. Drunk, she just knocked on the suite door and one of the girls in my suite let her in. He unlocked the suite door, then opened her room door. She was passed out on her bed, as was her roommate. She woke up in the middle of him commiting the act.

She left campus the day after and never came back.

Crime has only increased since I started school, which was in 89. PLEASE don't take anything, or anyone for granted. Safety is not a passive practice.