GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,533
1 members and 2,532 guests
ajehnztsa1361

Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes one may not meet the school's criteria. That's a common reason. Or perhaps not enough presented to be able to choose that many. Any number of reasons. Alabama wants another group but no one who is capable of building a $10 million house has stepped up. Only 1 presented the last time around and they didn't elect to invite them to colonize.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

A huge CONGRATULATIONS to Phi Mu and Chi Omega on being invited to recolonize their chapters at Minnesota!! It is fantastic news that these 2 groups will be able to return to a campus where they have so much history!!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
According to their Facebook pages, Chi Omega has been invited to (re)colonize at the University of Minnesota in Fall '13 and Phi Mu has been invited to (re)colonize in Fall '15.
NOW, I can say officially: WOOHOO!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
A huge CONGRATULATIONS to Phi Mu and Chi Omega on being invited to recolonize their chapters at Minnesota!! It is fantastic news that these 2 groups will be able to return to a campus where they have so much history!!
I am thrilled. Welcome back, Pi Beta of Chi Omega (1921-89)!

(If anyone's counting, that will make Chi Omega 12/12 at Big Ten schools! Woo Hoo!)
Old 03-14-2013, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quatrefoiled View Post
NOW, I can say officially: WOOHOO!!!
Yes, sister! Now we can celebrate! Another Big Ten chapter! Let's Go Gophers!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post

(If anyone's counting, that will make Chi Omega 12/12 at Big Ten schools! Woo Hoo!)
Only for another year or two--then you're going to have to start working on Maryland and Rutgers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
“The University plans to add one sorority per year for the next four years, Vice Provost for Student Affairs Jerry Rinehart said.”

What happened to this plan at Minnesota?
I'd guess that they realized it just wasn't practical. Four groups in four years is an insane number for any campus, and seems especially excessive for a campus like Minnesota. While quota is up around 50 right now, the campus Greek scene tends to have pretty intense number swings--just ten years ago it was under 20--and it makes sense to make sure that the higher numbers of PNMs going through aren't just a blip before you bring on a whole bunch of new sororities. Housing is probably an issue too--like most Big Ten campus, Minnesota is a school where you can get away with not having a house for a year or two, but after that, if you want to be competitive then you need one . . . and there just isn't a whole surplus of Greek-ready housing in the area you'd need to buy into. The old Tri Delt house might still be available, and I think a fraternity or two might have shut down in the past ten years, but they'd all need a lot of rehabbing to be viable options, and I just don't think there's enough for four sororities to move in in quick succession. I'm sure they'll reassess the situation in 2015 after Phi Mu settles in, and if numbers are still up then I'm sure plenty of groups would still be interested.

Does anybody else know more about the housing plans for Chi O and Phi Mu? Regardless, it's always nice to see groups come back to campus, and I think they're both sororities that will fit in well there.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm surprised that West Georgia is open, only because Sigma Kappa is so new. I'm just surprised they are ready to bring on another sorority in such a short period. Curious to see who it will be.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

West Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
Delta Zeta. 3/25/13
AOPi 3/27/13
ZTA. 3!2813
Sad that Gamma Phi Beta was not selected to present - our alumnae chapter was super-excited that GPhiB was sending a packet indicating interest - we were even asked for some quotes about how we felt about the possibility of a chapter at West Georgia - we were thrilled because this would have been the closest collegiate chapter to us! So this news is disheartening from my old GPhiB eyes
Old 03-15-2013, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Any official announcement(s) about Tufts yet? Maybe too soon -- we'll supposedly hear by the end of March -- see

"By Justin McCallum

Published: Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 02:03

The sorority extension committee will choose two new sororities at the end of this month to join the Tufts Greek community, due to growing recruitment numbers in Tufts’ three current sororities.

The fourth sorority will colonize at Tufts this fall, while the fifth could join as early as fall 2014 . . . "

Presenting at Tufts, per the student paper: Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Alpha Gamma Delta and Kappa Kappa Gamma.

http://www.tuftsdaily.com/news/commi...7#.UUD1eaxm2vV
Would LOVE for Gamma Phi Beta to be chosen..... fingers crossed!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Excerpts from the Murray State News, Two of three sorority vists complete.

"Originally four groups were scheduled to visit Murray State, but Jason Hinson-Nolen, interim Greek Life coordinator, said Gamma Phi Beta is no longer in consideration for the new sorority coming in the fall.

He said Gamma Phi Beta is changing its national focus and doing some reorganization and it is over-committed [thus] deciding to drop out of the running for the new Murray State sorority."

... and...

The extension committee will make its vote for which sorority comes to Murray State in the fall on March 15.

Wonder what the heck Hinson-Nolen means about GPhiB changing its national focus and reorganizing???? And not sure I appreciate the dig about us being "over-committed"
Old 03-15-2013, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeTriDelta View Post
• Phi Mu to visit OSU March 20, 2013 at 6:30PM
• Gamma Phi Beta to visit OSU March 22, 2013 at 4:20PM
Would absolutely love to re-colonize our Beta Xi chapter!

The 13th president of THE Ohio State University from 2002 - 2007 was a Gamma Phi Beta (Dr Karen Holbrook) and she was actually the first woman president of OSU! A cute headline appeared in her college alumni magazine when she took office: "From Badger to Buckeye" (she earned her undergrad degree from Univ Wisconsin Madison).
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
Wonder what the heck Hinson-Nolen means about GPhiB changing its national focus and reorganizing???? And not sure I appreciate the dig about us being "over-committed"
I was wondering the same thing, so I started going over the upcoming presentations and colonies Gamma Phi has lined up:

Presentations:
Duke
Ohio State
Spring Hill
Tufts

Colonizations:
Fall 2013:
University of Central Florida
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
2015 or later:
Columbia
Oregon State
Virginia Commonwealth

It doesn't look to me like the colonizations planned are too taxing (only two planned in the next two years), but it does seem like there are some big prizes to win on that presentations list. I wouldn't blame IHQ for trimming down their presentation schedule to be better prepared for Duke, Tufts and Ohio State.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I was wondering the same thing, so I started going over the upcoming presentations and colonies Gamma Phi has lined up:

Presentations:
Duke
Ohio State
Spring Hill
Tufts

Colonizations:
Fall 2013:
University of Central Florida
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
2015 or later:
Columbia
Oregon State
Virginia Commonwealth

It doesn't look to me like the colonizations planned are too taxing (only two planned in the next two years), but it does seem like there are some big prizes to win on that presentations list. I wouldn't blame IHQ for trimming down their presentation schedule to be better prepared for Duke, Tufts and Ohio State.
That quote sounds like press spin. We have one chapter in Kentucky; the other groups have 5, 5, and 9. I don't think we would have been the obvious choice. Other groups would probably have larger alumnae bases in the immediate area, and the location doesn't allow for convenient visits. I think that this was a wise decision, as far as allocating limited time and resources.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Delta Tau at Emory has gone dormant (but not closed) in preparation for a reorganization in fall 2013/spring 2014:

http://www.emorywheel.com/sororities...in-bid-numbers
Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Murray State University

Having formed what was then called a Crescent Circle in Paris, TN (just down the road from MSU) I can authoritatively say that there are not many alumnae in the area, and those there are largely from our inactive TN and KY chapters. It was probably a good call, but I would have loved to see us start to come back in KY/TN.