GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,186
1 members and 2,185 guests
No Members online

Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't get much of a chance to post today, but I was going to guess Carol! Congratulations on going with your heart and getting the best bid for YOU - and to Kappa Alpha Theta!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-11-2008, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I'd kind of like to know what school too, unless I already missed it.
Texas Christian.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Our student affairs intern at my school was a theta at TCU and she was fabulous! I'm sure you have a wonderful chapter!

I believe in friendships formed at the spring time of my youth...

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 04-11-2008, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Can we at least know who Tootie and Mallory were, since you liked them so much?
Yep, that is fair.

Mallory is Kappa and Tootie is ZTA.

My friend that started giggling in the ZTA ceremony did so when they put the crown on her head, and said something pretty cheeseball as they did it. (I can't remember what they said). I didn't think much of the situation until I saw her giggling, then all of a sudden it hit mit... There is a friggin crown on my head, and I saw some humor in that too (flashes of Miss America....). I think the eye contact that we made then and there sealed us as friends forever.

That is not to bash ZTA (anywhere) or any part of their pref or their symbols. I loved the ZTA house, the girls in it, and their pref was great. It was probably just the cumulative stress and fatigue that hit us both at that moment.

And violetpretty got the school right.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Great story, Blondie!!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I am thinking Flo is AXO-I think the TCU chapter was colonized in 91.

Great story! I love hearing about other Texas recruitments.

Last edited by aggieAXO; 04-11-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you and Kappa Alpha Theta! Great story, Blondie. Thanks for sharing it.

Of course I'd love to know which chapters are which. You didn't say anything bad about any of them. As for Chrissy Snow...well, every NPC has had a struggling chapter close.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Yep, that is fair.

Mallory is Kappa and Tootie is ZTA.

My friend that started giggling in the ZTA ceremony did so when they put the crown on her head, and said something pretty cheeseball as they did it. (I can't remember what they said). I didn't think much of the situation until I saw her giggling, then all of a sudden it hit mit... There is a friggin crown on my head, and I saw some humor in that too (flashes of Miss America....). I think the eye contact that we made then and there sealed us as friends forever.

That is not to bash ZTA (anywhere) or any part of their pref or their symbols. I loved the ZTA house, the girls in it, and their pref was great. It was probably just the cumulative stress and fatigue that hit us both at that moment.

And violetpretty got the school right.

my word!! in all my days as a member of zta, i have never heard of any chapter putting a crown on the head of a pnm, which is probably good, because of the reaction that it drew with blondie and her pledge sister(and others, i am sure). i hope that they have changed their pref. ceremony.

congratulations to blondie on becoming a member of kappa alpha theta!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my favorite stories so far.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Regarding being Preffed by someone you didn't know...that is always the kiss of death (IMHO)
Actually, knowing what I know now, I could agree with this. It was probably true for Mallory, as I am certain I would have been down their bid list.

As for Carol/Theta...it all worked out in the end. So, apparantly that particular pref party had lots of girls that they really wanted. The girls that I knew or had bonded with that week had others at that same party that they knew or had bonded with also (it is not uncommon to have 1+ rush crush). I got matched with someone I didn't know, but who was veeeerrrry much like me, and in all honesty should probably have been matched to me earlier in the week. Later my best friend told me that she had "always known" that I was a shoe-in to go Theta and had been vocal about that with her sisters. I don't know if that factored into the matching or not. (and little did she know what a tough time I had ranking!)

Also, as I re-read some of my posts, I realized that I didn't do Carol/Theta justice. In an attempt to keep the thread moving, I tried to keep the posts brief, but I was clearly too brief with Carol. A very positive thing about this chapter was that you saw the Carols everywhere on campus... they held leadership roles, all the visible type positions, and were just incredibly active. These were girls that really had their acts together, were smart but also had the balance to have fun. This was very impressive to me. In reading the ranking thread, it sounds as if it were process of elimination. It wasn't.

As for being a sophomore... out of 60 sophomores going through Rush, 4 houses only took one sophomore each and a 5th house didn't take any. There were so many very qualified sophomores going through, and it saddens me that chapters are so rigid on this matter. I was able to "ascend" to an exec position, so it is possible in just three years. Also, the sophomores that I knew contributed mightily to their chapter's overall GPA.

The Code. At first, I wasn't going to post the code on the outside chance that some naive 17 year old future Horned Frog might be reading this and base judgments on the houses from my experience 15ish years ago. Then I decided that if they were dumb enough to do that, then they get what they deserve! Some chapters have really changed in the time since, so my impressions are of no reflections of the houses today.

So here goes:
Carol- Theta

Mallory- Kappa

Tootie- ZTA

Winnie- ADPi (and no, violet, I didn't know about Danica McKeller!)

Daisy Duke- Pi Phi. (several guesses have come in to me via PM from current students, and not one has gotten this one right)

Chrissy- KD. They closed down soon after, and were later replaced by Sigma Kappa.

Flo- AChiO

Vanessa- ChiO

Weezy- TriDelt (no current student guessed this one right either)

Laverne- DG (again, several guesses, and none correct here).

And of course, Gamma Phi Beta colonized there this past year. So.. Greek Life at TCU remains strong. Yay!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

you did fine by posting^^
Old 04-12-2008, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

haha! I thought this was TCU! It's amazing how different the experiences are just 15 years apart. Each house has changed SOOO much. Except I could guess three (ChiO because of the blood red walls, which are still there,Kappa, and TriDelt). I couldn't guess mine though, but looking at past years composites, I can see how it could be true (with the tanning) lol. I thought DG was Tootie (because the exact thing I felt during my rush). I heard all the rumors of how DG are party girls, and went through with caution, but I absolutely loved every single day.

I understand your reasoning though with putting ZTA last though.
I think that negative image really hurts us in philanthropies and other competitions. People think that we don't care, when in fact we put in A LOT of effort and time and energy into EVERY single one. People don't take us seriously either. But, I know that our chapter is really trying to prove ourselves as a top chapter (was that sentence grammatically correct?). For example, we've tried so hard on grades, and now we're 3rd (from 6th or 7th) among NPC sororities, in just ONE semester.
It also hurts us during rush. I have two REALLY good friends in two different sororities. They both put DG as 2nd or 3rd on their pref cards, despite loving the events jsut because of the rumors that they have heard. Now when we hang out or study together and talk about rush, they sometimes confess that they wish they went DG and didn't listen to the rumors

So, to PNMs next year Seriously, DO NOT pay attention to rumors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just go with where you feel most comfortable and have the best time.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I would def remember that as part of my pref and that didn't happen to me. I, too, hope maybe that has changed at that particular champus.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBeauty View Post
haha! I thought this was TCU! It's amazing how different the experiences are just 15 years apart. Each house has changed SOOO much. Except I could guess three (ChiO because of the blood red walls, which are still there,Kappa, and TriDelt). I couldn't guess mine though, but looking at past years composites, I can see how it could be true (with the tanning) lol. I thought DG was Tootie (because the exact thing I felt during my rush). I heard all the rumors of how DG are party girls, and went through with caution, but I absolutely loved every single day.

So, to PNMs next year Seriously, DO NOT pay attention to rumors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just go with where you feel most comfortable and have the best time.
Different TCU sorority member here, but COSIGN on the end for future Horned Frogs... well, future sorority members anywhere.

For the record, ClassicBeauty... I absolutely adore several girls in your chapter.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up WOW

I am brand spanking new to GC and just read Blondies retro story. It was GREAT. My Mom (and Dad) were horned frogs. She wasn't in a sorority ...tried rushing as a sophmore and dropped out. No bad feelings "it just wasn't for her." She is encouraging me to try it. I will be coming from far away and it is a great way to meet friends and get involved.

PS: she was there 20 years ago and said the "stereotypes were the same" But to remember they are just stereotypes!