GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,400
0 members and 1,400 guests
No Members online

Old 05-07-2007, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
I think at a lot of black colleges, the grad schools are often more mixed than the undergraduate population.
That's the case for 99% of the HBCUs that have graduate programs. But the mixture doesn't come from whites as much as from "Asian" groups.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2007, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
You're hardly arrogant.
LOL, that's not what my co workers say

Old 05-07-2007, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
LOL, that's not what my co workers say

You're talking about work.

I'm talking about your NPHC interactions.

Run along, attention whore.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
You're talking about work.

I'm talking about your NPHC interactions.

Run along, attention whore.
i'm trying to make it about me

:rockon:

arty:
Old 05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, if you're from SoCal and you go to NYU or UF or LSU, thats not that confusing. But if you're from Orange Co. and you go to Georgia Southern or Oswego St., its a little weird.
My brother is at GA Southern, which is definitely not a bad school, but also not most well-known in the state, and whenever he mentions out-of-state friends, I do wonder about that. But I guess if I wanted go out of state and couldn't get in to the top schools, why not? Sometimes you just want to leave. (Although, honestly, I think I'd go to somewhere with a beach or some sort of attractions, not Statesboro ... )
Old 05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
My brother is at GA Southern, which is definitely not a bad school, but also not most well-known in the state, and whenever he mentions out-of-state friends, I do wonder about that. But I guess if I wanted go out of state and couldn't get in to the top schools, why not? Sometimes you just want to leave. (Although, honestly, I think I'd go to somewhere with a beach or some sort of attractions, not Statesboro ... )
Yeah, I think it probably boils down to them visiting and just feeling that it is the right place, but it makes one wonder.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

We have several members in or around the grad chapter who are not African-American. I think the best thing would be to keep an open-mind about the culture and doing new things.

Try not to act like you don't belong. I was at a step show a few months back and saw a caucasian soror who got out there and did her thing, so I guess it really depends on the individual and how comfortable they are with the situation.

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 05-07-2007, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educatingblue View Post
Try not to act like you don't belong. I was at a step show a few months back and saw a caucasian soror who got out there and did her thing, so I guess it really depends on the individual and how comfortable they are with the situation.
I really agree with that. At HU, I can remember three very well-known and popular nonblack male students ... one asian, two white. I'm pretty sure most everyone liked them because they were a) comfortable around black people and b) comfortable in their own skin (i.e. not acting stereotypically "black").
Old 05-07-2007, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think at a lot of black colleges, the grad schools are often more mixed than the undergraduate population. I know a lot of people that applied to HBCU's as fallbacks for law school. From the sound of it, some of those grad programs are fairly evenly split along racial lines.

Its less mysterious when its based on locale or other connections. I just am interested in white folks from like California who up and decide to go to Howard. Of course, I'm also interested in people from like NY who end up at NM State without a scholarship or other connections. People just sometimes seem random with their college selections.

There is a FIJI down here from New York. I have no idea how he found his way down here. I think he just wanted to go to Texas. Great guy though. Would never know he was from New York.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
DSTCHAOS, DSTRen and Senruset all gave you great advice.

Just as a side note, I just returned from my regional conference and I learned that the photographer is a Phi Beta Sigma. He is caucasian. His photos were great!
Every NPHC organization has caucasian members. I think I know the frat you are talking about. He shot our pictures when our boule was in Cali in 2002. He is a good photographer.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I always refer to Zeta Phi Beta as the "chocolate zeta" and Zeta Tau Alpha at the "vanilla zeta". I wonder what you call a white ZPhiB. A white chocolate zeta?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finer Woman10-A-91 View Post
Every NPHC organization has caucasian members. I think I know the frat you are talking about. He shot our pictures when our boule was in Cali in 2002. He is a good photographer.

Thank You for making this point!

It has to be up to The Individual where He or She feels comfortable.

I do not see the big difference of Black going to White or White going with Black as some people seem to want to make it!

If, there is a switching over from Color, then let them do it!

It is non of anyones business here is it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-07-2007, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I always refer to Zeta Phi Beta as the "chocolate zeta" and Zeta Tau Alpha at the "vanilla zeta". I wonder what you call a white ZPhiB. A white chocolate zeta?
You need to be washed in the blood of the lamb.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ziasha07 Send a message via Yahoo to ziasha07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Sometimes that's the point - if you really didn't enjoy high school or your hometown and 80% of the populace goes to a certain school, you may want to get as far away from that as possible.

I applied to colleges as far away as my parents would let me go. I've attended PWI's all my life and I knew there was nothing I wanted more than to go to an HBCU. I want unfamiliar settings as far as away I can get. For me, college will not only be about academic education, but learning to stand on my own (with the exception of finances) and proving to others that I can as well.

*Sorry I completly hijacked!*
Spring 2009 #5 1000 Words Spring 2010 Beta Class

*Miss Nikon* Colors so vivid, you pose like *click, click*
Old 05-07-2007, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

there's this asian AKA up in indianapolis, i think.

if i wasn't bethrothed to chaos.....i'd drink her bathwater.