GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,583
0 members and 1,583 guests
No Members online

Old 06-12-2002, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Bye bye to 5th year seniors?

Yesterday the University of Georgia announced that they won't be using the terms freshman, sophomore, etc., any more. Instead, they'll use first-year student, second-year, etc. This is because they want to discourage students from staying on extra years--the university is terribly crowded. As one administrator put it, "We have done much too good a job of making UGa and Athens a warm, welcoming place to be."

The university is so determined to send students on their way that fifth-year undergrads (and beyond) will register last--after the freshmen! I had no idea it was such a problem!

What do you think?

Last edited by carnation; 06-12-2002 at 11:51 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-12-2002, 10:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
I don't agree with trying to weed out 5th years - At UBC and I believe other universities in Canada, more and more students are taking 5 years to finish their 1st degree (me included). In fact at UBC you have up to 7 years to complete your bachelors degree. I think doing a 5th year is beneficial as it allows you to complete more courses, get higher grades, work, be involved in other activities, etc. If you want to get a decent job in Canada you have to go beyond 4 years of post secondary education and taking an extra year can be very helpful in getting into a masters program, professional school, etc. I don't agree with penalizing 5th years at all.

On a side note Canada has never used the term freshman, etc. It has always been 1st year, 2nd year, etc.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I read this in the paper this morning, and I agree with it. Is it really that hard to graduate in four years (In the United States, it's expected, I know in other countries like Italy, it's more like 5-7 due to the difficulty of the curricula)? I know that there are some people who have mitigating circumstances (family/personal problems, health emergencies, major/interest changes, financial situations) that would require them to take longer than the usual four years, and I don't think they should reap the negative consequences (being last in parking lottery, etc.). Just the kids who have the money, etc., and are just "living large".
Old 06-12-2002, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThetaGirl1997
Quote:
The university is so determined to send students on their way that fifth-year undergrads (and beyond) will register last--after the freshmen! I had no idea it was such a problem!
How is that supposed to get them out faster??? If they can't get into required classes because they are last to register, it's going to take even longer for them to finish.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaGirl1997

How is that supposed to get them out faster??? If they can't get into required classes because they are last to register, it's going to take even longer for them to finish.
Actually it shouldn't be TOO much of a problem, fifth year seniors usually have only 400 level classes left--which frosh and sophs wouldn't really be registering for.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for bringing up this info, carnation. First I'd heard about it. Quite frankly, I don't like the idea of 5th year seniors registering after freshmen one little bit. And I also don't like the idea of UGA rushing people through the curriculum.

It took me 5 years to graduate, and it had nothing to do with liking the school so much that I wanted to stay. On the contrary, it had everything to do with the fact that the administration had courses set up so that it was practically impossible to finish all required classes in 4 years.

Some upper level classes were only offered during one quarter each year, which meant that once that class filled up you had to wait another whole year to get in. Many students were left twiddling their thumbs taking waste-of-time courses like underwater basketweaving while waiting for a spot to open up in their final one or two required classes. It was ridiculous and extremely frustrating for both the seniors and their parents who were footing the tuition bills. Unless school administrators change the course schedules, it's going to be very hard to "rush" students in and out of school within a four year period.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaGirl1997

From what I read, which could be wrong, that fifth-years and beyond get lowest priority not in registering for classes, but for the amenities of college life, like parking spaces and season football tickets.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard this on NPR yesterday. I think it's a bit wacko to "punish" 5th year seniors.
The report also stated that Ga graduates students at the rate of a little more over 4 years-- the US averages out to more than 5.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

i think its a good idea...at sdsu it is unheard of to finish in 4 years...this place in so impacted. i know many people who took 5+ years.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:59 PM
Unregistered-

Thumbs down You have got to be kidding me....

Man, if UH-Manoa did that, I'd be isht outta luck! I'm going to be a 6th year SUPER DUPER SENIOR this Fall!

True, most people won't have to register for 400 level classes unless you're a Junior/Senior and you NEED to take those classes...but at UH-M, the distribution of parking passes is determined by your registration date. It's on a first register, first served basis.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I think that UGA and other colleges and universities that have overcrowding issues ought to either admit fewer students or offer more classes or both. Mandatory summer session or study abroad can be other ways to combat overcrowding and help complete a degree in four years.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
I am working on my 2nd undergrad I wonder where that would leave me??lol
Old 06-13-2002, 08:44 AM

I think they'd be better off limiting the amount of freshman they allow into the university rather than punishing the students who take longer to graduate. A friend of mine works full time so he can't take as many credit hours. He is now going onto his 6th year as a senior.
With my boyfriend's major, it is impossible to finish on time. Some classes are only offered once a year and classes are so hard that it's impossible to take more than 15 hours a semester (Chemistry).
Where does that leave the students who are working on a double major?
Old 06-13-2002, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I was a fifth year senior too!
Old 06-13-2002, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Carnation - Did Georgia Southern say the same thing to you they did to the parents in my orientation? They said that "college is no longer something that can be completed in 4 years." Now how does that work??? UGA punishes 5th years, but other schools in the system are saying over 4 years....

BTW, by going every summer except my Freshman I was going to finish in 3.25 years, and there were many QUARTERS I only took 15 hours (3 classes - minimum for being full-time). That's before I transferred and took a year off....

Cream - The Florida system has gone to 1 mandatory summer term. It has reallly helped.