GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 999
1 members and 998 guests
No Members online

Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek life - General questions and Penn State Univeristy park

Hi!

I'm an undergraduate student from Germany and it is pretty likely that I'll transfer to Penn State in Spring 2014.
During my abroad time in the US I become friends with many sorority and fraternity members. I would love to join a sorority when I'll be a penn state student, but I have so many questions and I would be so happy if anyone can answer them to me. Of course, I have used google and the search-function, but not all of my question are answered.

First, since I'm from Germany and we have to do one more year to graduate from High school and also because I have a gap-year, I'm pretty old for joining a sorority. In two days I'll turn 23 ... Depending on how many credits penn state will transfer, I'll be a junior.
Do you think I'll have a chance to get a bid or is it worthless to try? And does it change anything that I'm an international student? Of course, I read trough the official website, and of course it says that it is possible, but I really want some "real-life" opinions.

Second, I know that the formal recruitment is in fall, since I'll transfer in spring, I'll not be able to apply, but I think I should apply as early as possible in regard to my age and student-status. Can someone tell me which sororities do normally informal-recruitments?
I'm aware that I should not concentrate on one sorority, but since most of my american friends are Pi Beta Phi's I'm really interested in this one and I'm also impressed about their philanthropic. Does anyone know for especially this sorority how good or bad my chances are to get a bid or at least to apply in spring?
Unfortunately, I didn't find any top-tier list for penn state. I actually don't want to join a top tier sorority, since it is very unlikely that they will give me a bid.

And my last question is about hazing... I know that officially it is absolutely forbidden, but I've read so many posts that it is still a common thing during pledging. I'm not speaking about some funny (and harmless) drinking games, or waterball-fights or anything like this. Or for example I've heard from my friends they were not allowed to shower for a certain time - yes, that's not the best I can imagine, but would definitely allocate it to harmless, funny stuff.
I'm concerned about practices which are really humiliating and also dangerous. Honestly, I really cannot understand any person who can become friend with a "sister" who treated her as shit and also risked her life because of dangerous drinking games.
I'm an outgoing person, I love to party, to meet new people, to make friends, and many other things which are related to the sorority-life. But as I said, I would never join a sorority when that would mean I may end up in hospital because they forced me to drink so much alcohol until I threw up, loose my conscious or whatever.
Can someone please tell me if hazing in such a dangerous sense is still common? Are there some rumors about certain sororities which have such rituals? Since I'll be a Penn State student, I'm especially interested about the hazing rituals at this school. Does anyone know about Pi Beta Phi? (I really couldn't take girls seriously, when they describe themselves as angels and on the other side risking the life of the new members ^^) So, please tell me which horror-stories are true or if you know about any rumors.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm thankful to any answers!!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim90 View Post
Hi!

I'm an undergraduate student from Germany and it is pretty likely that I'll transfer to Penn State in Spring 2014.
During my abroad time in the US I become friends with many sorority and fraternity members. I would love to join a sorority when I'll be a penn state student, but I have so many questions and I would be so happy if anyone can answer them to me. Of course, I have used google and the search-function, but not all of my question are answered.

First, since I'm from Germany and we have to do one more year to graduate from High school and also because I have a gap-year, I'm pretty old for joining a sorority. In two days I'll turn 23 ... Depending on how many credits penn state will transfer, I'll be a junior.
Do you think I'll have a chance to get a bid or is it worthless to try? And does it change anything that I'm an international student? Of course, I read trough the official website, and of course it says that it is possible, but I really want some "real-life" opinions.

Second, I know that the formal recruitment is in fall, since I'll transfer in spring, I'll not be able to apply, but I think I should apply as early as possible in regard to my age and student-status. Can someone tell me which sororities do normally informal-recruitments?
I'm aware that I should not concentrate on one sorority, but since most of my american friends are Pi Beta Phi's I'm really interested in this one and I'm also impressed about their philanthropic. Does anyone know for especially this sorority how good or bad my chances are to get a bid or at least to apply in spring?
Unfortunately, I didn't find any top-tier list for penn state. I actually don't want to join a top tier sorority, since it is very unlikely that they will give me a bid.

And my last question is about hazing... I know that officially it is absolutely forbidden, but I've read so many posts that it is still a common thing during pledging. I'm not speaking about some funny (and harmless) drinking games, or waterball-fights or anything like this. Or for example I've heard from my friends they were not allowed to shower for a certain time - yes, that's not the best I can imagine, but would definitely allocate it to harmless, funny stuff.
I'm concerned about practices which are really humiliating and also dangerous. Honestly, I really cannot understand any person who can become friend with a "sister" who treated her as shit and also risked her life because of dangerous drinking games.
I'm an outgoing person, I love to party, to meet new people, to make friends, and many other things which are related to the sorority-life. But as I said, I would never join a sorority when that would mean I may end up in hospital because they forced me to drink so much alcohol until I threw up, loose my conscious or whatever.
Can someone please tell me if hazing in such a dangerous sense is still common? Are there some rumors about certain sororities which have such rituals? Since I'll be a Penn State student, I'm especially interested about the hazing rituals at this school. Does anyone know about Pi Beta Phi? (I really couldn't take girls seriously, when they describe themselves as angels and on the other side risking the life of the new members ^^) So, please tell me which horror-stories are true or if you know about any rumors.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm thankful to any answers!!
Sounds like you've heard of some fraternity hazing. NPC sororities do not haze. This is strictly enforced across every sorority, every where, by every governing body. Not even "funny (and harmless)" pranks, and especially not drinking games (which I think are neither harmless nor funny). In fact, many sororities forbid alcohol in their houses and only allow them at social events under strict guidelines. If you are hazed, I urge you to report it immediately.

Your biggest concern would be your age and upperclassman status. And, of course, grades. If you are open to any group, there's a chance you could pledge.

Do read all the stickied threads about recruitment, especially about rushing for particular groups (don't), a group's openness to upperclassmen (depends on the chapter) etc. Educate yourself first.

Best of luck!

Old 10-15-2013, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thankyou AnchorAlumna for your response!
Do you know if Pi beta Phi is a top tier sorority or in general how hard it will be to get a bid from them? (at Penn State) I know I shoudn't focus on one sorority and I'll definitely have a look on all sororities which do informal recruitment in spring, but I'm really interested in this one.
Also, the symbol they use is wearing my last name, not sure if this is an advantage ^^

Do you know how I can figure out which sororities are doing informal recruitment in spring?

In regard to hazing, I actually read more horror-stories about sororities and also I've often read that girls from sororities are saying that hazing is still a part and if you don't like it, you should not pledge....
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, you are in Germany, we are here. Quit reading online junk about hazing. That is not what is going on today. Laws here have gotten very strict and all the 26 NPC groups have a NO HAZING policy.

Second, since you aren't from here you do not realize what "bad form" it is to talk about a particular group. No one here will talk with you about "tiers" and you should ignore anyone who does. Many of us here have been or currently are national or regional officers in our groups. We know that every group is worthwhile and has a great deal to offer. We will not talk bad about a group nor will we hold one group higher than the rest.

To find out if any group is participating in spring informal recruitment, you would need to talk with the adviser in the Penn State Greek Life Office. They are the only one who can tell you exactly what is happening with regard to that.

I trust this answers your questions.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Titchou,

I am really sorry if I have offended you or anyone else here! This was really not my intention.
Just to explain my questions: Yes, you are totally right, I'm from germany and I am still in Germany and I am aware of the fact, that I do not know so much about the american-sorotity-culture, that is the main reason why I have asked.
Since I have many american friends (who are still in america) and who are in a sorority I became really interested and therefore I tried to inform myself through them and the internet, since this was until yet the only option for me.
During my "research" especially from the year 2013, I read many many many times about hazing and top tiers. So, this is the reason, why I asked about those two topics. Again, I am really sorry, if you are bothered by my questions, but when I - as a foreign person, who is not used to the american system- read so many times about those two mentioned topics, it is for my unterstandable why I am asking those questions.
Of course, I am sure that every sorority/fraternitty is great in what they are doing, but apparently there exsist top tiers. I am not asking because I want to become a member of a top tier sorority, but I am asking because they will probably do not any kind of informal recruitment and since I am very old for joining a sorority, I do not think I'll have a chance. If I am wrong with this, please correct me. And again, I am not asking because I am judging the sororities in this way, I am asking because many people are talking about top tiers, so many other people apparently judge them in this way and therefore it seems to be harder to get a bid.
Almost same with hazing, as I wrote in my first post here, I know it is strictly forbidden and illegal. But when I read so many times from girls or boys that hazing is still a common practices, but most sisters/brothers are just not talking about it, I actually really have to ask about that. I am really referring to posts from 2011-2013.

I hope you can understand, that I want to get as much information as possible, since I am a foreign person and I need those information when I want to join a sorority.
Again, sorry for any inconveniences!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I was not offended just trying to inform you. This site is probably the only one that does not allow tier talk nor anything about hazing. We try to be "above board" and treat everyone in a "Panhellenic" manner. Yes, you'll find stuff on the internet about hazing and about tiers and bullying and other untoward topics. That's not we are about.

Does hazing exist? Sure. So do a lot of other things that are wrong and against the law. Do people talk about tiers? Sure, they talk about all sorts of gossip.

What is important in your case is not whether Pi Beta Phi is doing informal but rather who all are doing it. You need to know who has openings - not who does not. Contact the Greek Life office. That is the only place that can give you accurate information.

And yes, it would be cute if you pledge a group that has an arrow for its sympbol. But please don't look at just them because of that - or Delta Gamma because they use an anchor and your dad was in the navy, or Kappa because theirs is a key and your was a locksmith. Make sense? It's about the women who will be your sisters....
Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks titchou for your response and the information.
i'll definitely contact the greek life office about informal.
and just as a last thing, i was not thinking that an arrow is cute and that definitely not made my decision to be interested in them... i just noticed that they're using my last name "....." their symbol, as well. that was the reason why i mentioned the symbol

Last edited by kim90; 10-16-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

And another thing you don't do is share enough personal information so that you can be identified. I suggest you delete that last comment before someone QFPs it (quotes for posterity)....

Either way...should latch onto a group because of symbols, words, etc. I dare say they are not the only one with "******" in their verbiage or symbolism.