GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,046
1 members and 1,045 guests
No Members online

Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't get too excited about V.P. candidates. They have little to no effect on public policy (unless they happen to be Dick Cheney, which she isn't). Consider that in this relationship, she'll be far and away the junior "partner." Unless we want to consider the fair probability that McCain will have some sort of health event which will cause him to be unable to continue to serve, we must look at Palin for what she is -- a means of attracting the female vote as well as attracting social and paleoconservatives back to the flock.
I don't know if that's as true anymore; I think it may be more accurate that, whatever ideas the VP has on public policy, the credit for them will be given to the President.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's see...what do we know...

a Miss Alaska beuty Queen (hence the Hotness)
Married an Eskimo
MINORED in politics her bachelor's is in journalism
Hunts moose
Smoked weed and didn't like it...
2 terms in city council
Served on the Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission
Has challenged pork barrel spending in Alaska
Approval rating was in the 90s until this year.
Is presently being investigated on charges of abuse of power.
Because of her policies, the price of milk has risen
Signed into law the largest ops budget in Alaska's history while at the same time make the 2nd largest construction cut in Alaska's history.
She also an advocate of drilling for oil in her state's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

got what .... 5 kids? One having Down's syndrome (4 months old mind you!!) ...and another in the Army...God Bless her!

But I DO have a question....how are you going to bash Obama for his lack of experience, when she has never served outside of Alaska?

Is this what McCain calls fighting fire with fire? ....or lack thereof? LOL

hey...they could run on the ticket as "Old Classic, New Hotness."
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 08-29-2008, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

"smart" move for McCain. I wasn't voting for him no matter who he picked, but now this will make for an even more interesting election
Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't get too excited about V.P. candidates. They have little to no effect on public policy (unless they happen to be Dick Cheney, which she isn't). Consider that in this relationship, she'll be far and away the junior "partner." Unless we want to consider the fair probability that McCain will have some sort of health event which will cause him to be unable to continue to serve, we must look at Palin for what she is -- a means of attracting the female vote as well as attracting social and paleoconservatives back to the flock.
Normally, I would agree with you. But this election may be different in regards to the Vice President. It was discussed on another thread.

I am COMPLETELY thrilled with the choice of Governor Palin! As insider had told me that she would be a good choice back in June, but didn't think the Old Boy Network would allow her. The more I read about her, her views, her past, the more I liked her. When I made a donation to the RNC, I included a note that was something like, "Please consider Sarah Palin for VP." I can honestly say that, from what I've read, Sarah Palin is a step forward, not just another Beltway Insider.

WOO HOO!!!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't realize that JFK was the last Senator to be elected President...
Old 08-29-2008, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Normally, I would agree with you. But this election may be different in regards to the Vice President. It was discussed on another thread.

I am COMPLETELY thrilled with the choice of Governor Palin! As insider had told me that she would be a good choice back in June, but didn't think the Old Boy Network would allow her. The more I read about her, her views, her past, the more I liked her. When I made a donation to the RNC, I included a note that was something like, "Please consider Sarah Palin for VP." I can honestly say that, from what I've read, Sarah Palin is a step forward, not just another Beltway Insider.

WOO HOO!!!!!
If McCain buys it...what happens to the foreign policy experience?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 08-29-2008, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Pretty sweet deal. Hopefully it works out for McCain.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've been pushing for Sarah Palin, and it's looking good for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
"smart" move for McCain. I wasn't voting for him no matter who he picked, but now this will make for an even more interesting election
I'm on my way to the beach, but I had to weigh in first.

I don't think it's smart at all.

Her experience is as a mayor of a town in Alaska and as governor for two years of one of the smallest states (population wise)? She may be a great person with a promising future, but I'm not impressed with her credentials at this point.

I think that the 72-year-old candidate is going to fail the straight-face test when he claims that Obama lacks the experience to be commander-in-chief, yet he picked someone younger and with less experience (and no foreign policy experience; at least Obama has the fp experience that comes with being a Senator) to be next-in-line should something happen to him. Obama's not ready but she is? I think he may have shot himself in the foot by neutralizing his strongest argument.

I used to like McCain, at least enough to hope that he was the GOP nominee (on the theory that if the GOP won, at least he'd probably make a good president). The more I see, the less I like.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post

Her experience is as a mayor of a town in Alaska and as governor for two years of one of the smallest states (population wise)? She may be a great person with a promising future, but I'm not impressed with her credentials at this point.

I think that the 72-year-old candidate is going to fail the straight-face test when he claims that Obama lacks the experience to be commander-in-chief, yet he picked someone younger and with less experience (and no foreign policy experience; at least Obama has the fp experience that comes with being a Senator) to be next-in-line should something happen to him. Obama's not ready but she is? I think he may have shot himself in the foot by neutralizing his strongest argument.

I used to like McCain, at least enough to hope that he was the GOP nominee (on the theory that if the GOP won, at least he'd probably make a good president). The more I see, the less I like.

Very dead on and very eloquently put!!!

talk about flip flop!

he should have asked hillary!

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 08-29-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post

I am not at all surprised. McCain picked Palin for one reason. She is a woman. He is trying to woo disgruntled Hillary supporters by having a woman on his ticket, even though she has absolutely nothing in common with Hillary.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Very dead on and very eloquently put!!!

talk about flip flop!

he should have asked hillary!
Well, now both candidates have something to answer to - Obama has to answer about putting a long-time Congressman on a ticket promising "change," and McCain has to explain his prior comments in light of having a relative newbie on his ticket.

Should be an interesting back-and-forth, if nothing else.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Anybody got money that she is a helicopter mom in disguise?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
Well I normally would do that as well, but I have a personal stake in the pro-choice/pro-life movement. I was adopted at birth. I only know that my biological mother was 19 and unmarried. I dont know the circumstances regarding my conception, but I thank God each day for the decision she made because I have and have had a great life over all. My husband got married to his first wife because she got pregnant with my oldest step son. I'll not comment on her shortcomings, but without that marriage we would not enjoy the company of the younger two children and who knows what wouldve happened to the oldest.

I know people here disgaree with me on this issue and more power to their own opinions, but I WILL NOT vote for a party or candidate that supports pro-choice. End of discussion
Just because your biological mother chose life doesn't mean every woman faced with an unwanted pregnancy should be forced to chose life. Hell, lots of them will risk their own lives not to be pregnant.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't realize that JFK was the last Senator to be elected President...

Maybe a third of the Presidents had been Senators prior to their presidency, but only 2 have been elected directly from the Senate. JFK, and I think the other one was Harding? But don't quote me on that.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Just because your biological mother chose life doesn't mean every woman faced with an unwanted pregnancy should be forced to chose life. Hell, lots of them will risk their own lives not to be pregnant.
Don't hijack the thread, kiddo - seriously, wrong place, wrong time.

As far as "neutralizing his best argument" - the only people who will buy that bit of rhetoric are people who wouldn't vote for McCain already (and the same goes for people who think Biden's inclusion is "anti-Change").

Somewhat ironically (given the two men who are promoting those views), it's a classic split between a "lawyer argument" and a "juror argument" - most people won't make the connection on their own, and when it's drawn that thickly for them, I don't think it'll hold much sway.