GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,508
0 members and 1,508 guests
No Members online

Old 03-17-2020, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
Oh, no -- where? I'm here in the Bay Area and we have been anticipating this, but I hadn't heard of any layoffs yet. This is an expensive place to be without income
She WAS a manager and sommelier at Mourad. https://www.mouradsf.com/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 AM

My kids are out of school indefinitely. They’ve said Georgia schools might open up after spring break in April, but I’m not counting on it. My kids are doing digital learning. I’m grateful for their teachers who are trying to keep the school year moving along, but my kids are in elementary school so they’re not self-sufficient like a high schooler or college student. My kids require a great deal of help from me in navigating the digital platforms and completing their lessons. I’m trying to do this while also fulfilling my own job requirements from home. It has not been easy, and it comes with a great deal of anxiety about the future. I am in the younger demographic, so my concern at this time isn’t about catching the virus, but more so about the economic losses.

This is a crazy time. I do hope that with the prevalence of asymptomatic cases (that are more than likely unreported) that we’ll reach herd immunity soon.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a University faculty member working from home. It's a lot of work as we are moving face to face classes to Canvas by the end of the month. I'm trying to stick to a routine and really get "dressed" for work and at 5:00 I'm shutting the computer and changing into my favorite worn out t-shirt and going outside.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

I think everyone is suddenly learning all about Zoom.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-20-2020, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

What do they do about classes where you have to be there (like labs, or social work practicum type things?) Does anyone know? My nephew is an environmental science major and right now they’re on a “break” but who knows if they’ll go back.

Are admissions personnel working? I guess it varies by state?
Old 03-20-2020, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Last night, California's Governor ordered a statewide "stay home" order for all of California, effective immediately. All residents are to stay home except for essential needs. https://covid19.ca.gov/

True and Constant
Old 03-20-2020, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Last night one of the PBS stations re-broadcast the American Experience from 1998 about the 1918 influenza epidemic. Sobering. (Also, note the documentary NEVER referred to it as the Spanish Flu, since it certainly did not originate in Spain, but according to several scholars, it originated at an Army Base in Kansas.)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
She WAS a manager and sommelier at Mourad. https://www.mouradsf.com/
Oh no! We are trying to buy food from locally owned businesses a couple of times a week since we don't want them all to close in this difficult time. I'm in Oakland so if she needs help with anything locally, don't hesitate to PM me!
Old 03-20-2020, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

So what was the point of cancelling college classes? Many Gen Z (not all!) and youngest Millenials are not taking the quarantines seriously or intentionally ignoring it. Sneaking out, going to parties, Spring Break partying etc. Saying that they won't get seriously sick, so who cares? THIS is what spreads it to the old and vulnerable. There is actually a trending hashtag that some disrespectful young people are posting called "Boomerremover". It's sickening and so disrespectful. Boomers Deserve to Die
Old 03-20-2020, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

They must not have, or care about, their grandparents, great grandparents, etc.

This virus is just exposing all the stupid and selfish in the world. Sometimes, it’s scarier than the actual virus.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
So what was the point of cancelling college classes? Many Gen Z (not all!) and youngest Millenials are not taking the quarantines seriously or intentionally ignoring it. Sneaking out, going to parties, Spring Break partying etc. Saying that they won't get seriously sick, so who cares? THIS is what spreads it to the old and vulnerable. There is actually a trending hashtag that some disrespectful young people are posting called "Boomerremover". It's sickening and so disrespectful. Boomers Deserve to Die

The "kids" who are out partying for spring break are irresponsible and foolish. The young woman in the article you shared? She's just attention seeking for fame and money. I can't even take her seriously. She's clearly a clown and not representative of the younger generation as a whole.

True and Constant
Old 03-20-2020, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Last night, California's Governor ordered a statewide "stay home" order for all of California, effective immediately. All residents are to stay home except for essential needs. https://covid19.ca.gov/
The governor of Illinois did the same thing today. It takes effect tomorrow at 5pm and runs through April 7.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone's GLO cancelled or postponed a scheduled 2020 Convention? At this point, ours is still "on" for late June in Palm Springs, CA, and we're encouraged to register, but I just saw an interview last night on the PBS News Hour with the U.S. Rep from that area, who was formerly an ER physician, and he said the area has been hit hard due to the predominantly retired/elderly population.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 03-21-2020 at 09:31 AM. Reason: updated to the correct year!
Old 03-20-2020, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Has anyone's GLO cancelled or postponed a scheduled 2019 Convention? At this point, ours is still "on" for late June in Palm Springs, CA, and we're encouraged to register, but I just saw an interview last night on the PBS News Hour with the U.S. Rep from that area, who was formerly an ER physician, and he said the area has been hit hard due to the predominantly retired/elderly population.
For my fraternity, just the conferences for the sections (approximately one per state). which are normally held in the spring.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Has anyone's GLO cancelled or postponed a scheduled 2020 Convention? At this point, ours is still "on" for late June in Palm Springs, CA, and we're encouraged to register, but I just saw an interview last night on the PBS News Hour with the U.S. Rep from that area, who was formerly an ER physician, and he said the area has been hit hard due to the predominantly retired/elderly population.
Congressman Ruiz is a good friend of my dad's (also an ER doc) and I had the privilege of spending time with him at his annual fundraiser last year in Palm Springs. It doesn't surprise me that coronoavirus is bad in that area, especially because the past few months through now are when it's not 300 degrees outside and all the community events are going on. Cornell just announced that commencement Memorial Day weekend is postponed so I wouldn't be that surprised if late June events don't make it either