GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,784
1 members and 1,783 guests
Titchou

Old 02-27-2020, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Almanac of Fraternities and Sororities

God bless Dr. Fran Becque for sharing this resource, and being willing to update it. I have really missed Baird's - this is terrific!

https://www.library.illinois.edu/slc...ority-almanac/
Old 02-27-2020, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, thank you Fran. And SWTB, I too loved Baird's.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Good work, indeed! This is definitely a work of love!

Thank you, Dr. Fran Becque!
Old 02-27-2020, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I love this! I now know what will be taking up several hours of delightful reading.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, GCers, but the Almanac isn't my work. I am only updating it. Carroll Lurding is the one who did the research. I just helped him find a way for it to be available to those of us who love this type of information. It's an incredible amount of information and I am in awe of it.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Well your collaboration is a great resource so thanks to both of you. I enjoyed looking through some of it and learning. There is a lot of interesting information in there!
Old 03-02-2020, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you expect the Almanac to expand beyond the social fraternities and sororities to the Professional fraternities
Old 03-03-2020, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Do you expect the Almanac to expand beyond the social fraternities and sororities to the Professional fraternities
I do not think so.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

I can’t seem to look up individual organizations listed by letter of the alphabet.Are they online yet?
Old 03-05-2020, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
I do not think so.
That’s a shame. That’s one thing I wish we had a more up-to-date version of Bairds for, since it was a pretty all-inclusive guide to all Greek organizations. Also, on some campuses, the professional groups function more as social groups anyway, even being members of a Greek council with other social sororities and fraternities.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unarose View Post
That’s a shame. That’s one thing I wish we had a more up-to-date version of Bairds for, since it was a pretty all-inclusive guide to all Greek organizations. Also, on some campuses, the professional groups function more as social groups anyway, even being members of a Greek council with other social sororities and fraternities.
Yes it is. But unless someone has been keeping track of professional organizations for the last 30 years or someone has a lot of time their hands to do some free research, I don’t think it will happen.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes it is. But unless someone has been keeping track of professional organizations for the last 30 years or someone has a lot of time their hands to do some free research, I don’t think it will happen.
If you ever get an inkling they might be open to adding any of them, let me know. I can likely help with info for a few. I at least have SAI’s info in a spreadsheet…just need to update it since I think we might’ve added some chapters since I last did so. Having put that together, I do understand it is time consuming to compile the information.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you need for a group to be included? Or to put it another way, how does the info for a group differ from what is likely to be in a recent (post 1935) copy of Baird's Manual of American Fraternities?
Old 03-09-2020, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
What do you need for a group to be included? Or to put it another way, how does the info for a group differ from what is likely to be in a recent (post 1935) copy of Baird's Manual of American Fraternities?
Please know that it is not my call. The Almanac is now held by the University of Illinois Library.

Note there is no narrative information included in the organizational information, just basic contact info and then the list of each chapter, when it opened (closed, reopened, closed again, etc.), the local organization that became a chapter, and chapter name. Many chapters have come and gone in the last 30 years, 1991 being the publication of Baird's 20th edition. Having the most up-to-date information would be imperative.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Please know that it is not my call. The Almanac is now held by the University of Illinois Library.

Note there is no narrative information included in the organizational information, just basic contact info and then the list of each chapter, when it opened (closed, reopened, closed again, etc.), the local organization that became a chapter, and chapter name. Many chapters have come and gone in the last 30 years, 1991 being the publication of Baird's 20th edition. Having the most up-to-date information would be imperative.
So Ellen Swain's decision?