GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 944
1 members and 943 guests
Titchou

Old 09-04-2002, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a Junior?

Hi y'all I've been lurking for a few days, and I have learned SO much about Greek life. Y'all seem so sweet and helpful! So I'm hoping maybe you can help me too.

I'm a junior at UNC Greensboro, but this is my first semester here after transferring from UNC Chapel Hill. While I was there, I attended some informal recruitment events with their DZ chapter, but by the time I was considering pledging, I already knew I wasn't going to be there much longer.

From everything I've heard, being in a sorority is a great way to make new friends and be involved on campus, and I would really like to be in one. But... I AM a junior. When I start thinking about it, I have so many concerns: Do sororities really want girls that are only going to be there for two years (lol maybe three)? Will I have a hard time finding a group that will want me? And most importantly, will I look like an idiot during Recruitment week surrounded by freshmen?

Were any of you juniors when you first pledged? Does your sorority have a unwritten rule about bidding juniors? Any help, advice, support you could give is needed

Just for reference, Recruitment Week is Sept. 10-15 and the sororities we have here are:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Chi Omega
Phi Mu
Sigma Sigma Sigma

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-04-2002, 11:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Hey Carolina,
I went to school at Elon (right down 85 from ya) and I know that we had some juniors that always went through rush. Esp. transfer students. some of them got bids, some of them didn't. Same as everyone else that went through.

However, our greek system is much larger than yours so, you may in fact have a better chance going through at UNCG as a Junior then some place like UNCCH or Elon. So goodluck and let us know how it goes!
-Maggie
Old 09-04-2002, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Carolina i can't speak for all the sororites at your school or even for the Phi Mu chapter that is there, but my chapter has had members join as juniors and they are some of our most valuable members (in fact my roommate pledged as a junior). go for it!
Old 09-04-2002, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah! Another rush thread for me to get addicted to! I know I'll be pulling for Tri Sigma!
Old 09-04-2002, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NewGirl Send a message via Yahoo to NewGirl
go for it..

Hey there!
i think that its awesome that you want to rush.. but also
there are some sororities in BIG greek systems that cut a jr no matter what. But since you re rushing at a smaller school. i think it should be great! last year i met a girl in my sorority who rushed as a jr and she has been amazing asset!
How do you like it there? i have a cousin who goes there!
anyways,, have a wonderful time.its never too late to go GREEK!
im pulling for Alpha Chi!!!!
Love
Ashley
Old 09-04-2002, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I am going to have to agree with what a lot of people said. Some larger greek systems will automatically drop juniors, but others dont. The main thing about going through recruitment as a junior is try to show what you can bring to the chapter in those two years you would be there. Show how you can be yourself and how being yourself is an asset to their chapter.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, when I went to a Panhel interest meeting, they gave me the impression that lots of girls, including sophomores and juniors, go through the recruitment process... but they never said much about how many of those girls actually ended up joining sororities. I talked to a recruitment counselor for a while, and she said that most girls who go all the way through get bids, so I'm really starting to get excited now!

Of course, now that I've definitely decided to rush... I have to find something to wear

I'll definitely keep y'all posted on my rush experience! I'm trying to not get even the tiniest idea in my head about which girls I might prefer... although pink is my favorite color, so I keep gravitating to Phi Mu lol.

**NewGirl, I love it here... I think it's a great small, state supported school, and I just "FIT" better here than at Carolina. Thanks for asking
Old 09-04-2002, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie

I'll definitely keep y'all posted on my rush experience! I'm trying to not get even the tiniest idea in my head about which girls I might prefer... although pink is my favorite color, so I keep gravitating to Phi Mu lol.
Pink was my favorite color before I rushed too, and it still is, but for many more reasons than before! Good luck! I know you'll find the sorority for you, although I have to say i'm cheering for Phi Mu !
Old 09-04-2002, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
hey, carolinacutie, i'm from north carolina but i go to school up in virginia. hope you have a great experience!! too bad my sorority doesnt have a chapter at uncg, but i'll pull for chi o since i have a lot of friends there!
Old 09-04-2002, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RosmaPomia
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Hey! I know what you mean. I just went through recruitment as a junior and was nervous as anything. Please don't let it discourage you!!! As so many people keep telling me, YOU ARE NOT OLD!! In fact one of my fellow pledge class members is married!!!
This is just my opinion but if a chapter won't give you a chance because your "older" than it's their loss. Sisterhood is for a lifetime. My Grandma was initiated over 50 years ago into Alpha Xi Delta and is still active!!
Just be sure to let all of us read your story
Old 09-04-2002, 09:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Re: Don't Worry, Be Happy

Quote:
Originally posted by RosmaPomia
Hey! I know what you mean. I just went through recruitment as a junior and was nervous as anything. Please don't let it discourage you!!! As so many people keep telling me, YOU ARE NOT OLD!! In fact one of my fellow pledge class members is married!!!
This is just my opinion but if a chapter won't give you a chance because your "older" than it's their loss. Sisterhood is for a lifetime. My Grandma was initiated over 50 years ago into Alpha Xi Delta and is still active!!
Just be sure to let all of us read your story
I agree with RosmaPomia. Two of my pledge sisters were older girls/women. And they turned into great sisters!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I rushed as a junior at Texas A&M-I am glad I was older b/c I was more relaxed and had a better handle on school and what to expect. Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-05-2002, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

CarolinaCutie,
Go ahead and Rush! You'll meet so many women, other pnms as well as sisters. It'll be so much fun for you. Also how can you not rush when they have a great ADPi chapter on their campus? (My version of a shameless plug)
Good luck cutie and keep posting,
violets
Old 09-05-2002, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Juniors Rushing

I recently joined a sorority and two of the girls in my pledge class are juniors who trasferred to this school. I would go for it definately as you won't look like a fool. Its not too late to make friends that will last a life time.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Ahhh my thread is getting down to the bottom of the first page so I gotta BUMP it up...

I'm getting more and more nervous waiting for Tuesday night. I'm pretty sure that it's just an orientation to meet your Rho Chi and your group.

I feel so rushed in getting ready... Tuesday is only a few days away and I haven't picked out any outfits or gotten a pedicure! And being a college student like the rest of us, it's not like I have any extra cash sitting around to pay the price of beauty

GAHHHH I'm so excited Out of all the things to be worried about, I keep hoping that the girls in my group will be nice... I am not going through rush with a friend or anything like that, and I want someone to gab with about everything that's going on. But then, I can always come home and talk to you guys

Hope y'all are having a great day, and you KNOW I'll keep you posted!