GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Omicron Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,601
1 members and 1,600 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 10-16-2001, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Famous Sisters

Hey everybody,

I was thinking about a post I saw a while back on the AOII website, and thought I'd propose the question here: who are some of our famous sisters?

I know what international says about listing famous members, but I'm sure that this is something that most of us have wondered about at some point. So....let's use this thread to see if we can compile a list.

Last edited by AOIIBrandi; 12-11-2001 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2001, 08:41 PM
Banned

I know the former director of the Air and Space Museum is an AOII from Northerwestern (Rho Chapter). I can't remember her name of the top of my head right now, though.

I hope to some day be famous (definitely not rich, though!) *grin*
Old 10-17-2001, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I think that Debbie Matenpolous(she was on the first season of The View and now does a show for TV Guide) is an AOTT and Margaret Bourke-White(Famous photographer) is also an AOTT. And I agree with Sarah(Beryana)--I want to be famous, so maybe someday me!!
Old 12-05-2001, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Famous Sisters

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIBrandi
Hey everybody,

I was thinking about a post I saw a while back on the AOII website, and thought I'd propose the question here: who are some of our famous sisters?

I know what nationals say about listing famous members, but I'm sure that this is something that most of us have wondered about at some point. So....let's use this thread to see if we can compile a list.
Does your Nationals dislike announcing famous alumni because of certain reasons? Quite interesting...just curious!
Old 12-06-2001, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Re: Re: Famous Sisters

To paraphrase the policy, each sister is "famous" in some way and therefore, it does no good to point out certan members.

I'm like, OK, then why have individual awards or point out specifically that Margaret Bourke-White's photographs hang at international headquarters?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie

Does your Nationals dislike announcing famous alumni because of certain reasons? Quite interesting...just curious!
Old 12-11-2001, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Not being picky ... but we are International ... only 14 NPC groups are

... that and it hurts the Canadian sisters feelings when AOII is referred as 'national'

Thanks, diva queens!!
Old 12-11-2001, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry neonpi, it just didn't look right saying international's for some reason. I'll change it
Old 09-13-2002, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the Miss Americas, Heather Whitestone, was an AOPi , I am not sure which school. It is in her autobiography. She was the deaf Miss America.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:31 PM

If I may clarify a bit here

Heather Whitestone McCallum indeed was an AOII new member, at Jacksonville State U. She did not initiate due to her duties with the Miss America organization. It is my understanding that she never has initiated I hope her area alumnae chapter would contact her and invite her for alumnae initiation one day!

She also was the first deaf Miss America, and I recently read that she had a cochlear implant! Here's a link: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/G...hitestone.html

Roses,
Christin
Old 09-13-2002, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, actually she was a New Member she never got initiated due to time constraints.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I almost hate to say this - but I rather like our IHQ's response to famous alumnae. It can be frustrating at times when other groups promote one person or another. I like to think that we are all "indivdually unique, together complete" and that's what makes us who we are as women and as a Women's Fraternity.

I know that it's great the we think our PIPs are the most important women to serve our Fraternity, instead of someone who became famous through hard work or luck.

And I'd also like to think that a women who devoted time and energy to a worthwhile cause is just as special as the first CEO in an industry. Without all different types of people within our organization, we might become cookie-cutters.

So, when you're next asked who are famous women in your sorority don't forget about mentioning yourself. I think your pretty special for being my sister.

Heidi
Old 09-13-2002, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pandarose18 Send a message via Yahoo to pandarose18
Lambda Chi's theme party this year was based on the idea that every sister is a star in AOII. The new members even made hand prints and added them to our AOII walk of fame! It was very cute! We aren't allowed to do skits anymore on our campus so we had a portion of the night where we described some things that set a particular sister apart from the crowd and then that sister would stand up and they would go on to the next. It was a good way for the PNM's to see what types of things our girls are involved in and what makes each of us special! It was fun for the sisters too!

Roses,
Sarah
Old 09-13-2002, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't disagree with IHQ, but you know when you're watching a movie and you see a star that you just think is absolutely beautiful or you watch a news conference and you see a woman and you think wow she's got it together? I think it would be nice to look at that woman and know - we share a common bond, she is my sister. It also kinda helps to think that they also started out in the same place as you. I'm in no way trying to say that any one of our sisters is less special it's altogether an association thing with everyday names
Old 08-05-2003, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

famous aoii's

Someone verify this for me if you can. I had NEVER heard of any "notable" so to speak AOII's until just last night when our president and I were speaking. She told me that the reason a Coke can is red and white is because the guy responsible for making tha can (i dont even know if that was the pres of coke or just somebody in charge of making the can design), his daughter was an AOII. Origionally the design was green or something, but she asked him to make it cardinal red and white. Also, i was told that if you go to the Cocacola museum that there is a decorative fountain there, and if you know to look, the fountain spurts and the trees or landscaping around the fountain make an AOII. Anybody know if there is any validity to this??
justhey
Old 08-05-2003, 11:31 PM

That's the first time I've ever heard that one! Beryana, you've been in the archives, ever see or hear like this?