GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,238
3 members and 2,235 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 03-20-2010, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

All the Phi Mu badges are fabulous. I'm amazed at the size from the early days.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2010, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

BabyPink...I can't believe you were sitting on those pictures all along!!!! Shame on you!

BTW...I'm loving the early trend of the wearer's monogram for a badge guard!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-20-2010, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey BabyPink I have a question for ya. I can't tell, but does the founder's replica have the hand on the left side?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
The hand is approaching from the right and the hand meets the heart in the center. It does not appear that it fully enclose around the heart though, it might be that the heart is merely resting in it. The pictures could have been better, but I didn't realize at the time that'd I'd want photos of each individual badge, just thought I'd grab a quick memory of our history. They were taken in February 2009.

Thanks to someone for identifying the monogrammed guards. I was always looking at them like "HUH! What's that?"

I wish I could make one. It looks amazing.

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 03-20-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Would anyone be interested in starting a list of members who wish to be PMed when badges from their org are found on ebay? I know I would be interested in knowing about vintage/interesting tri delta badges that come up for sale.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I took some pictures today of my badges, both with a dime for sizing and some clasp photos. To our friends up north: I pulled out some Canadian coins and found that our dimes (much like our pennies) are the same size... so just pretend it says Canada on it

First, the sizing. Here is a dime above 1900, 1925, and 1931 keys, and a 1947 plain key on top of a dime:

Here are the Gamma Phi badges from pbear for easy comparison (since we've had so many text-only posts lately):
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
Clasps up next...
Old 03-20-2010, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDlady View Post
Would anyone be interested in starting a list of members who wish to be PMed when badges from their org are found on ebay? I know I would be interested in knowing about vintage/interesting tri delta badges that come up for sale.
I've seen several efforts by various group forums to get lists of ebay user names & internal collectors (as in for that group), and I don't think they've been entirely successful. The challenge is that sometimes the "approved" people wind up doing less than pleasant things, and those lists become hard to really use/maintain. If you read through this incredibly long thread, that's mentioned once or twice. It also gets to the point where everyone is on the list so you don't really know who to contact.

I'd lean toward looking through here & other forums to see who might have the best badge intentions. Often if you PM someone who isn't able to act on it, s/he may know someone else who would be interested. In the past, if I didn't have someone in particular to contact for an org but found a badge locally, I PM'd that group's mod. Hopefully the group mod would have a good pulse on who's on the up & up.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Been lurking this thread for a while, it's great to see all different styles of badges. It's sort of sad that my fraternity doesn't have the option blinging out our badges so it's cool to see the styles some of our older badges.

Here's one of my favorites:

It's a pre-1903 badge with opals and (I think) ruby or garnet points. After 1903 all jeweled badges were banned and we returned to the founder's badge style of today.

Let me know if you guys want to see some more badges, IHQ has some pictures of older styles that I can post
Old 03-20-2010, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaowl View Post
Been lurking this thread for a while, it's great to see all different styles of badges. It's sort of sad that my fraternity doesn't have the option blinging out our badges so it's cool to see the styles some of our older badges.

Here's one of my favorites:

It's a pre-1903 badge with opals and (I think) ruby or garnet points. After 1903 all jeweled badges were banned and we returned to the founder's badge style of today.

Let me know if you guys want to see some more badges, IHQ has some pictures of older styles that I can post
You don't even have to ask! Please, please, please post more!!!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Clasps

1900 clasp. As opposed to the more modern clasps with the opening on the top, this one is down off to the side. To open it (or lock it into place), you use the little lever on the side. It's almost like a lobster claw style clasp you'll find on necklaces- but a lot wider.

Here are clasps from 1925, 1931, 1935, and 1947. They vary slightly but with limited knowledge they look really similar to me. On the hinges, some are a bit more bulbous and some have the center hinge pin stick out a bit more, whereas others are flush so you don't see it. On the clasps, the top is the thinnest/most delicate, the next is kind of tube-shaped (rounded but cut off straight on the sides), and the bottom two are rounded on the sides.

And then here's the only non-dated piece I have, the recognition pin. It looks most similar to the 1935 hinge because the hinge pin sticks out. But it also looks a bit less rounded where it connects with the pin so perhaps I just don't have a good comparison for it. This photo is of the recognition pin between the 1931 and 1935 pins. I'd love to hear other interpretations though, since this was day 1 of me looking at clasps

Does anyone have any good resources for clasp info? I thought someone shared a link but I couldn't find the post.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha ok here's a few more.

This is Founder Naaman Fletcher's badge from 1848.

10 years later this style was adopted, it's basically the Founder's Badge with a raised face and a gold rope boarder. Sometimes a chain and stick pin was attached or a diamond was set into the white star. Around this time, the face was also beveled.

Here's some examples of badges with stick pins and chapter letter guards from 1870-1880. Stick pins and chapter letter guards were banned in 1903 along with jeweled badges.

In 1892 half-sized badges were made.

Here's a white gold and diamond honor badge made for Archon Treasurer Karl Lemmerman in 1918.

Here's a picture of some of the badge held at IHQ, the white star badge at the top is the pledge pin and the delta badge is for Delta Colony members.

And in 1923 all badges were standardize to match the Founder's Badge style that all FIJIs wear today. And there's a brief history of Phi Gam badges.

All of these images can be found on the Phi Gam website.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

That is awesome- thank you for sharing, gammaowl! Great reason to come out of lurkdom for your first couple of posts. That white gold diamond one is major bling.

It's interesting that chapter letter guards were banned- do you know why, by chance?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
It's interesting that chapter letter guards were banned- do you know why, by chance?
Not sure but I think it has to do with our ban on using the badge as ornamental jewelry. With that said, I'm also not sure why Herff Jones sells a sweetheart pin because I think it falls into the "ornamental jewelry" category haha. And besides wives and fiances can wear our badge so I don't really see a need for a sweetheart pin .

As a side note, I'm always really surprised to see how small a lot of badges are when compared to quarters and dimes haha.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

e-bay notifications

I've received a few notifications from GC members about Gamma Phi badges - and in fact, won one! But I think I was notified because I've been here a while and mentioned I am a Crescent Catcher - I know that I would happily notify GC members I feel I "know" when their GLOs badges come up for auction. I'd say that most of us should just send pms if we find a special badge on e-bay.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought I might as well post some Kappa Delta badges from my collection. In 1917, it was decided that only diamonds, pearls and emeralds would be allowed on KD badges.

In the 1920s/early 1930s the trend was to have a mini badge. Here's a photo of a mini next to a regular sized badge:

A mini with diamond points:

White gold with alternating emeralds and pearls:

This is my oldest badge. It's from 1909. You can kind of see part of the bullet clasp at the bottom. It's just pearls but I love the scalloped look it has.

I love this diamond and emerald pin:

This was a lucky break. For years I had been searching ebay for a pin from the local sorority (Kappa Xi) that became my chapter of Kappa Delta at Maryland. Finally, it showed up along with the owner's KD badge. She was a chapter founder in 1929:

This is a photo of the original badge designed by one of our founders. It was silver with olive green enamel. Only about 12 of these were made before the design was changed to the current one in 1898 (one year later.)