GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,832
2 members and 1,830 guests
zjhnpetrovo7362

Old 09-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

My school is SUCH a gem. Every so often, I do a web search for articles on my school. I found this one, which was posted last year which I find to pretty spot on.

Quote:
"They have quite possibly lost their soul in a lot of ways in the drive to make money."
I couldn't agree more.

This really pisses' me off:
Quote:
"The Academy also has an impact on San Francisco's fast-dwindling supply of affordable housing -- especially when it purchases rent-controlled apartments and converts them into dormitories."

Article on Huff Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2006115.html
Old 01-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

So, I was looking up some other information and came across this list of for profit universities http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_and_colleges and online universities http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States
Old 01-15-2014, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
So, I was looking up some other information and came across this list of for profit universities http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_and_colleges and online universities http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States
Dang, a lot of the for-profit ones sound like legitimate schools-I imagine they get some students who think they're going to Brown University and get Brown College instead. Do your homework about a school that sounds too good to be true (pun intended).

Last edited by clemsongirl; 01-16-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: forgot an o
Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Dang, a lot of the for-profit ones sound like legitimate schools-I imagine they get some students who think they're going to Brown University and get Brown College instead. Do your homework about a school that sounds to good to be true (pun intended).
Actually, the list is much longer than it should be. That link goes to online universities or schools with online programs. It also lists schools like Florida State, Penn State, Purdue, Arizona State, NYU, Texas Tech, and so on. This list is comprised of schools that are also brick and mortar but, also offer online classes. That's why I am shocked when someone tells me they wanted to do their entire degree online and then chose a University of Phoenix, Walden, Kaplan, etc. There are so many reputable schools out there that offer online degrees. Why go to a for-profit?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
.... There are so many reputable schools out there that offer online degrees. Why go to a for-profit?
For a myriad of reasons but: shorter programs, not having to deal with pre-req's, general ed courses and so forth. Personally, I picked my school because:
  • working professionals for instructors
  • up to date equipment
  • updated curriculum and not theory based
  • a school full of art majors
  • great networking opps in and out of school
  • working portfolio at graduation
other reasons too but you get the idea

For me, traditional college was trying to fit a square peg in a circular hole. Just didn't fit. Yeah, it was fun (cheerleader, parties, etc) but I didn't focus on my major and when I finally did, it wasn't what I wanted to do in life.
Ultimately, I changed my major and found a school that had what I was looking for in academics and usefulness for the degree. For me it's been worth the investment.

Traditional college isn't for everyone. For-profit isn't for everyone. Hell, college isn't for everyone. But there's something out there for all of the different people with different educational needs. There are always options.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Vanishing Profit, and Campuses
May 7, 2015
By
Paul Fain

The dramatic collapse of Corinthian Colleges isn't the only shake-up happening in for-profit higher education, as a broad swath of the sector is shutting down or selling off campuses after years of declining revenue and enrollment.

On Wednesday two of the largest for-profit chains announced substantial cuts.

Education Management Corporation (EDMC) said it would gradually phase out 15 of 52 campus locations of the Art Institutes, which is one of the better known brands among for-profits. Roughly 5,400 students attend the closing campuses. (Click here for a list.)

Likewise, Career Education Corp. unveiled a broader restructuring, saying it will close or sell everything but its Colorado Technical University and American InterContinental University holdings. Those two universities, however, enroll most of the for-profit's roughly 45,000 students (20,300 for CTU and 13,500 for AIU, according to company officials).

Career Education is winding down all 14 Sanford Brown College and Institute campuses and online programs over the next 18 months or so. It is also seeking to sell Briarcliffe College, Brooks Institute and Missouri College. Collectively, those institutions enroll about 8,600 students.
Click link to read the rest.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-and-sell-offs
Old 07-03-2015, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I got my Master's from a brick-and-mortar school that offered the entire degree program online. It was nice because everyone knows the school, my diploma doesn't say it was done all online, and I was able to work full-time! I did go to the school to walk at commencement.