GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,466
4 members and 1,462 guests
AlizaXzd60, bannetattsa680, NikiMussen

Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Online Universities

So, I'm deciding I need to do something with my life. My big problem is that I work 30 miles away from home, so going to actual class would be difficult. I need something on my own time.

Has anyone obtained a degree from an online university? I already have my Bachelors in PR but that did nothing for me. I'm unhappy in my current job and I need something else. Suggestions?

KLTC
Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm doing my Masters at Webster, and they have a lot of online programs. My program isn't online, but I can choose online classes when I want them. They are fully accredited and are a brick and mortar school. I'm very wary of schools that are online only or that have weak accreditation. Webster is well known in the St. Louis community. The classes aren't nearly as expensive as my husband's were at Florida Tech-- but to be fair I'm getting a huge discount because I'm taking them on a military base (although neither of us have a military affiliation.) You might want to check it out. http://www.webster.edu

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Don't even consider a for-profit online university. I don't care if they're accredited. They have a high number of defaults on their student loans. So much so that the administration is looking at cutting off some of these schools' access to FAFSA, which would in turn kill the school making proving you have a degree probably problematic. They're also a lot more expensive.

I'd look into your public state schools first. You could probably get a much cheaper education with a recognizable name. Here in Oklahoma, the University of Oklahoma has entire degree programs online. I believe the University of Alabama does as well (at least I heard they offered an entirely online LLM [Masters in Law], so they probably have other programs as well).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Kevin is right. The quality of education from the for-profit schools is questionable.

Many state schools are running on-line degree programs now. I know University of Illinois has one and there are lots of others.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of well-known universities offer these programs. And since you're not tied to geography, I would definitely shop them for price.

But back to the degree you have... you should consider your degree a blank slate that allows you to paint in the picture. My Journalism degree felt like a HUGE waste of time when I was in my 20's, but I love my job now (travel agent) and my ability to write helps it in innumerable ways. I almost always end up rewriting professional flyers the cruise lines and tour operators design for ease of use because they are bland. A PR degree seems like a similar, hard to get a job specifically in the field kind of degree, but awesome as you use it as a background for something else. Look for the crappy job in a field you'd like to move into, and then maybe go back to school. I believe I've heard Suze Orman say going back to school for another degree in order to make more money isn't a good investment.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I got my masters from Georgia Southern University and it was mostly online. I liked it because I was taught by actual professors who teach at the university and had access to all of the university's resources. Georgia has tons of degrees and programs offered online through the state university system. Because of all the choices, it really baffles my mind why people continue to choose for-profit schools (well, except perhaps for the lowered admission standards of the for-profit schools. But that's a whole other issue!) Check out your state university system for online or cohort programs. You might be surprised by all of the options!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I received my Masters in Education from Lamar University, a state school in Texas that offers 100% online Masters programs. I never thought I'd be able to earn my Master's because I teach and have a family but this was the perfect solution. It was very reading and writing intensive but worth it.

I agree you should avoid the for profit schools because there are so many state schools that offer online programs now that are cheaper (and the school is more reputable). Good luck!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

You'd likely be surprised by the quality programs one can find online. I agree with those above who say stay away from for profit places. Go with brick and mortar who are also doing online. It is much more likely that those programs have the rigor and quality you need.

I'll do a shameless plug: http://learnonline.kennesaw.edu/

There's no out of state tuition - just etuition. Doesn't matter where you live.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
What field are you going into? I think that hiring mangers in some fields are much more accepting of online degrees than others, so that's something to consider.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Boston University also has online degree programs.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00
Has anyone obtained a degree from an online university? I already have my Bachelors in PR but that did nothing for me. I'm unhappy in my current job and I need something else. Suggestions?
I echo the others in suggesting that you avoid for-profit institutions and to try for a brick-and-mortar university which offers online programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I think that hiring mangers in some fields are much more accepting of online degrees than others, so that's something to consider.
I may be out of touch with current hiring trends; but, I don't think it's a requirement to specifically state on one's resume that a degree was earned online, is it?

True and Constant
Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't think so, but certain schools would be known just by their advertising. I'm all but certain an online degree from the University of Illinois (as an example) says UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, no asterisk or qualification. They wouldn't risk their reputation if the online degree couldn't compete with the brick and mortar version.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I wouldn't think so, but certain schools would be known just by their advertising. I'm all but certain an online degree from the University of Illinois (as an example) says UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, no asterisk or qualification. They wouldn't risk their reputation if the online degree couldn't compete with the brick and mortar version.
Right. There is a definite process that is in place with most universities that have brick and mortar/online programs to ensure that the degrees are comparable and have same expectations.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

For sure! DoctorD and Xidelt are right, Kennesaw and Georgia Southern have fantastic online programs. The universities of the state of Georgia have this wonderful online education system (www.usgs.edu? Something like that) through which you can get a solid and high quality degree.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Carnation, there used to be a site called Georgia on my line that had all of the info for the online degrees offered through the state universities. It's a great site. You can easily search programs by degree, institution, etc.