GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,629
0 members and 1,629 guests
No Members online

Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I used to work for a very popular for-profit institution. I stopped working there because of policy changes that were seriously starting to weird me out about their commitment to education over profits. I would say when I started the focus was education, but then they started advising us to "step up our game" because profits were down 10% etc.

While the accreditation was that same as that of ASU, UMichigan, UArizona among others-I quickly learned the credits did not transfer to traditional institutions the same once I began working in a SACS-accredited institution's transfer/evaluation office. The reason for this was the format of the classes-particularly the online courses. So basically they are worthless in transfer.

But my overall opinion of the student's and the work was that everyone was working on making the courses relavent to work Also we did have entrance requirements, but those were mostly for people who didn't speak English, didn't have a legitimate HS diploma, or a legitimate AA or transfer credits. It wasn't a cake walk. We had to turn a lot of people away. And it truly was efficient for people with years of experience who needed accelerated degrees in order to get promoted or explore new job options. Also this institution has MANY campuses in local communities that are brick and mortar. Many of the other for-profits do.

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 02-03-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I echo the others in suggesting that you avoid for-profit institutions and to try for a brick-and-mortar university which offers online programs.

I may be out of touch with current hiring trends; but, I don't think it's a requirement to specifically state on one's resume that a degree was earned online, is it?
No, but when you get a resume from someone in Alaska who lists U of Illinois, you are probably going to ask.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
What field are you going into? I think that hiring mangers in some fields are much more accepting of online degrees than others, so that's something to consider.
I'm thinking about Health Information Technology or Human Resources. Before I started this job, i had enrolled in Baker College which I believe is just in Michigan. They advertise that they are great for those already working full time jobs and that they are so flexible, yet the HIT program classes were during the day. You had to take a semester of in house classes before you could do anything online. My co-worker is doing their Occupational Therapy program and she had to go down to part time because her classes were only offered T/Th during the day. It's frustrating.

KLTC
Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

My niece got her Master's from Georgia Southern.

A sorority sister just registered for a Masters in Journalism from U Florida (and she plans to wear red and black when signed on. _
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Don't even consider a for-profit online university. I don't care if they're accredited. They have a high number of defaults on their student loans. So much so that the administration is looking at cutting off some of these schools' access to FAFSA, which would in turn kill the school making proving you have a degree probably problematic. They're also a lot more expensive.
Don't forget low graduation rates. Last time I checked, my school was at 36%.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I work for a regionally-accredited university that has a traditional century-old campus, about 80 satellite campuses around the world, and online programs as well. Our school will not let professors teach online until they have taught at least a year in the classroom. The university is very diligent to ensure learning objectives and continuity outcomes are the same for each section whether it is taught traditionally over a full semester at the main campus or during an accelerated term here in DC or our overseas campuses or online delivery.

The satellite campuses in my area have classes on evenings and weekends, thus appealing to a working adult about 35-45 on average. When our classes are full, some students will opt for the online format. Unfortunately many students who perform quite well in the classroom do NOT do well in an online setting. It's not so much not knowing the technology, it seems to be an oral vs. written method of synthesizing information.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Central Michigan has an online program for a graduate certificate in HR.. check this one out:
http://global.cmich.edu/programs/deg...c=GCERT&cc=568
Old 02-04-2013, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely choose a reputable campus-based university that has online programs. As others have been saying, many colleges and universities are developing online programs. I teach for a small, private college, and most of the online classes are taught by the same professors as the on-campus sections.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
I'm thinking about Health Information Technology or Human Resources. Before I started this job, i had enrolled in Baker College which I believe is just in Michigan. They advertise that they are great for those already working full time jobs and that they are so flexible, yet the HIT program classes were during the day. You had to take a semester of in house classes before you could do anything online. My co-worker is doing their Occupational Therapy program and she had to go down to part time because her classes were only offered T/Th during the day. It's frustrating.
The University of Minnesota - Crookston offers 100% online bachelors degrees in Health Management, Business Management, Applied Health and Information Technology Management, among others. It's a great school. It's like attending a private school, but you get a big-name university degree. Got to www.umcrookston.edu
Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I used to work for a very popular for-profit institution......
While the accreditation was that same as that of ASU, UMichigan, UArizona among others-I quickly learned the credits did not transfer to traditional institutions the same once I began working in a SACS-accredited institution's transfer/evaluation office. .....
This is a HUGE problem at my school also. If I knew then what I know now, I would have avoided the place altogether. I've taken classes mostly on campus but some online classes too and hated them. I can't learn that way but some folks can.

I don't know if Arizona State is an option for you PM_Mama00 because they've recently been advertising their online program here in the bay area. Might be worth looking into.
http://asuonline.asu.edu/

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 02-05-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Don't forget low graduation rates. Last time I checked, my school was at 36%.
I think that has a lot to do with the majority of students who tend to be attracted to a for-profit institution. Many are bright and motivated, but they have a number of factors stacked against them: first generation college student, working concurrently with school, poor advisement because the only ones in their peer group going to school, and low standards for admission. Some for-profit schools don't require standardized tests scores like the GMAT for admission, so they are lowering the bar whereas those exams might have otherwise weeded or discouraged people who aren't well-suited to the rigors of those programs. Generally, the easier it is to get in, the harder it will be to stay in.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
I think that has a lot to do with the majority of students who tend to be attracted to a for-profit institution. Many are bright and motivated, but they have a number of factors stacked against them: first generation college student, working concurrently with school, poor advisement because the only ones in their peer group going to school, and low standards for admission. Some for-profit schools don't require standardized tests scores like the GMAT for admission, so they are lowering the bar whereas those exams might have otherwise weeded or discouraged people who aren't well-suited to the rigors of those programs. Generally, the easier it is to get in, the harder it will be to stay in.
Nail-->head
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post

This.

I went to what we could safely class as an "inner city" public high school in a major metro area. We constantly (as in two to three times a year) had hour long free info-mercial style presentations, in class, only from for-profit institutions. The reps went on and on about how traditional colleges "waste your time" with classes you don't need.

It annoyed me then, and it infuriates me now. Traditional colleges got a table in the library, no announcements of their presence, and no hall passes to go and talk to them.

What sort of message are we sending to those students? The message I got as a 17/18 year old was "You're not bright enough for real college" or "This is your only option" or "They'll never accept you". Despite the fact that a number of my peers went to Northwestern, the Air Force Academy, Gonzaga, Pitt, PSU, and a slew of other great SLACs...we only were able to do that by doing our own research, no advising help (Advisers were always available to send you to the military recruiters though.)

Ugh. Sorry. Major thread hijack.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
This.

I went to what we could safely class as an "inner city" public high school in a major metro area. We constantly (as in two to three times a year) had hour long free info-mercial style presentations, in class, only from for-profit institutions. The reps went on and on about how traditional colleges "waste your time" with classes you don't need.

It annoyed me then, and it infuriates me now. Traditional colleges got a table in the library, no announcements of their presence, and no hall passes to go and talk to them.

What sort of message are we sending to those students? The message I got as a 17/18 year old was "You're not bright enough for real college" or "This is your only option" or "They'll never accept you". Despite the fact that a number of my peers went to Northwestern, the Air Force Academy, Gonzaga, Pitt, PSU, and a slew of other great SLACs...we only were able to do that by doing our own research, no advising help (Advisers were always available to send you to the military recruiters though.)

Ugh. Sorry. Major thread hijack.
Wow. Take a bow, PPS. That's hideous. I hope they've stopped that in light of all the shadiness that's been brought to the forefront about these schools.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post

I don't know if Arizona State is an option for you PM_Mama00 because they've recently been advertising their online program here in the bay area. Might be worth looking into.
http://asuonline.asu.edu/
I was going to recommend ASU as well. They are offering ALOT more programs online now then when I graduated 10 years ago (obviously).

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt