GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,436
1 members and 1,435 guests
bgregoraswift61

Old 11-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see what the big deal is in admitting that some of our chapters simply perform better than others. Our respective HQs do it all the time when they close down chapters for lack of manpower.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2006, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

When you're the biggest, wealthiest, most popular, throw the best parties/events and have powerful student leaders and alumni, then I see nothing wrong with a tier system. At most big southern schools, most people would give you a list of who the top fraternities on campus. Even people in the non-top tier fraternities will agree on who the best are. However, those in the middle or lower tier fraternities probably aren't overly upset about it, because they'd much rather be in a second tier fraternity at Ole Miss than a top tier fraternity most other places.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think you could make a good argument for not calling the OSU KAs a "southern" chapter.
I agree completely. However it's not about how southern the chapter is, in terms of power of greeks on campus and so on, it's about how southern the campus is. In terms of how southern, South and East Oklahoma is, I'd disagree greatly. It's very comparative to NorthWest Arkansas (where I go, in Fayetteville) which is not Southern at all. Lambda Chi at Oklahoma, is tops on their respective campus, however would be completely made fun of at any SEC school. This sounds like a generalization, but every account I have seen and heard about, they just need to wash the gel out of their hair, stop popping their collars, and so on.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
there are chapters that are far superior to others nationally and there are chapters that are better than one another on different campuses.
No question about it. But they aren't all in the South.

The "tier" thing is totally unsupported.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Delt, thats exactly what the tier thing is. It refers to what chapters are the best on what campus. Hence saying things like "top tier chapter at any southern university." However, if I was to rank greek life, I'd put the south in front, but then we value different things.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BrendanMcGrail
It seems that people from the south value profoundly different things than we do in the north. From what I've gathered, I'd rank the south near the bottom. But that clearly goes back to the whole idea of profoundly different values.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Delt, thats exactly what the tier thing is. It refers to what chapters are the best on what campus. Hence saying things like "top tier chapter at any southern university." However, if I was to rank greek life, I'd put the south in front, but then we value different things.
Dude, let Me ask you a question?

If Your Franternity has been kicked off of every Campus but the Old South, How long will Your National last?

Is it not an National or International Organization just where does that put you?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-30-2006, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

..I believe we've had a discussion on this before Tom.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom we've been there. We have one loan through nationals, which I think has now been paid of via another loan (fire system). We get very little from them, if anything. An obvious problem would be that the university gives fraternities good price on land, and I'm not sure what the deal would be with that if we went local. Also, there is a problem with insurance. However, nationals didn't buy our house, we did. They don't pay our social budget, we do. In fact, that social budget is probably larger than the operating budget for half our chapters. Nationals are a required evil. They do not aid our chapter outside of the technical affiliation and insurance.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

agree. Our house was privately funded.....as is our social budget, rush budget, etc.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Also if you went local, if your members decide to attend a college elsewhere, they couldn't affiliate, which i understand not every campus has every fraternity but if your in a large enough fraternity chances are youll find it
Old 01-07-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed, but most of our ritual would come from the nationals, though bastardized to some degree.