GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,262
1 members and 1,261 guests
No Members online

Old 06-20-2004, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Militants threaten to behead South Korean hostage

(CNN) -- The Arabic-language television network Al-Jazeera broadcast a videotape Sunday night of a man identified as a South Korean hostage whose captors threatened to behead him unless his government quits the U.S.-led coalition occupying Iraq.

On the videotape the man cried in English, "Please get out of here. I don't want to die. ... Your life is important, but my life is important."

The South Korean Foreign Ministry confirmed that the man shown in the videotape is Kim Sun-il, 33, who works for a trading company. It was not known when or how he was taken hostage.

The Foreign Ministry planned an emergency meeting Monday morning to discuss Seoul's reaction to the development and steps to take toward Kim's release.

An official with the South Korean Embassy in Washington said South Korea has about 600 troops in the country and plans to send another 3,000.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

Looks like beheadings will become common now.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:35 PM

The militants might want to be a little careful. As our enemies in Vietnam found, the ROK's can be pretty nasty themselves.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if the effect on South Korea's public will be similar to the reaction in the US? In other words, will it make them realize that these are totally evil individuals that must be exterminated -- or will their public decide that they are tired of being US pawns in a US led war against those that don't like the US?

(note: I do not agree with the 2nd one, I just throw it out there because that is very likely the sentiment among many South Koreans).

The beheadings are an interesting tactic though. If nothing else, it shows that the terrorist cells are weakened. Their ability to carry out large-scale operations is hampered. The most they seem to be able to do is kidnap individuals and conduct publicity stunts through their deaths.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-20-2004, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I saw that poor man begging for his life on the news tonight. It was so awful and sad. I pray that they release him, but I suspect that they won't.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Banned

When do we behead an entire village? I think it would be nice to find a mosque where they preach against America, and to fill it with heads of all the men in the village. Anyone else?

-Rudey
--Anyone? Anyone?
Old 06-20-2004, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about that rudes, but am I the only one who thinks he's already beheaded?
Old 06-21-2004, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by AXJules
I don't know about that rudes, but am I the only one who thinks he's already beheaded?
*raises hand sadly*
Old 06-21-2004, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I bet that no mater what Seoul does, they will kill this guy anyway, if they haven't already.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:36 PM

I think I heard on NPR (in heavy traffic at the time) that S. Korea was sending more troops despite the kidnapping. As I said earlier, I wouldn't mess with the ROK's.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
The younger element of South Korea's electorate does not like America, and they don't like the South Korean presence in the Middle East.

If the South Korean government responds to the terrorists by capitulating to their demands, I believe that it will be time to give young South Koreans what they want. At that point, the US should initiate a complete withdrawl from the Korean Peninsula.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Banned

There were 670 Korean medics and engineers in Iraq in the past year. This man was not one. There was a decision to send 3,000 troops making S. Korea the 3rd largest member of the coalition and S. Korea has not wavered. I salute S. Korea's leaders on this.

-Rudey
Old 06-21-2004, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
The younger element of South Korea's electorate does not like America, and they don't like the South Korean presence in the Middle East.
Looks like the older guys are still running the country.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Looks like the older guys are still running the country.
A shout out to the old guys!
Old 06-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Banned

Funny how a young Mr. Roh cashed in on anti-American voters to defeat conservative Lee Hoi Chang. The smart people understand.

-Rudey
Old 06-22-2004, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Apparently, he has been beheaded. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in541815.shtml