GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,906
2 members and 1,904 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-25-2006, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UnoriginalErin
Social Co-Ed Fraternity looking to go National

Howdy (first post here).

I'm a member of Delta Nu Psi, a social co-ed fraternity as Keene State College (I think another member posts here).

Our college, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that all Greek organizations on campus must be in the process of going national by 2008. We've done some research into pre-existing national co-ed organizations and have found them all to be academic or service based, which isn't what our main purpose.

After consulting with one of our campus' volunteer Greek Advisors, we were directed to the NIC's website (nicindy.org). We've sent them a few emails now asking for advice but with no response, so I was hoping that you guys could perhaps help us with what steps we need to be taking.

Naturally, we have time to be doing this within (they just said in the "process" of going national within 2 years, not that we have to be established), but we'd like to start heading in the right direction.

And (I forgot to mention this before), we also have three campuses potentially hoping to start their own Delta Nu Psi chapters (Cornell, Suffolk, and BU).

Any advice, tips, suggestions, etc?

Oh, and of course, thanks in advance.

Last edited by UnoriginalErin; 10-25-2006 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Forgot about something
Old 10-25-2006, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Suggestion #1 is to find out what *EXACTLY* the university is looking for.

Are they wanting you to be "National" due to insurance?
Are they wanting you to be "National" as in Incorperated?
Are they wanting you to be "National" so you have a governing body, besides the local one?
Are they wanting you to expand YOUR org, or combine with another, and in either case - why?

Technically, you can open a chapter at one more campus, and become Delta Nu Psi National Fraternity, Inc, and be consitered "National".
Old 10-25-2006, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, I'm not sure if even the school knows.

All the Organization Handbook says is that we need to "be in the process of going national..."

However, after talking to the volunteer advisor (who also happens to be my Social Activities Council advisor), she has explained that the school feels that by having all the Greek organizations go national, their national chapters (or whatever) can better keep an eye on them to make sure no hazing or illegal actions are taking place (which is offensive to Delta Nu Psi in particular since we were founded on a strict anti-hazing policy).

So, I would guess it would be due to insurance purposes since Keene State College does not anyone who is actually employed as a Greek Advisor to keep an eye on campus-affiliated Greek organizations.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

In that case (and depending on what you really want to do) my advice would be to:
1. Start a second chapter at another school (thus being "National")
2. Put together a board of Alumni (To "keep an eye on you")
3. Become incorporated (due to liability issues)
4. Get insured (expensive, but obviously what the university wants out of this)

The reason I say this is because there aren't a whole lot of "well-established" National Co-Ed SOCIAL fraternities. Most Co-eds are Prof. or service. Any group that you affiliate with will probably make you lose the co-ed or social status.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

There are other "social" co-ed fraternities, but a lot are local or regional. See thread:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=80785
Old 10-28-2006, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Id say stick it to the school no one should be forced into changing who they are expecially if they are following the rules. Tell them you are already following national rules by being a member of IFC and you think its unfair that they are making you change because of the precived notion about greeks. Also I suggest you have prominant alumni write letters to the director of student activities and the president of your school asking to remain local. The school should take the alumni comments and concerns a little more seriously then undergrads.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

You said you are a CO-Ed group? Is that both male and female?

If the Greek Adviser suggested NIC web site, then I take it you are all male.
True? If not, then they steered you wrong as NIC is male only.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-29-2006, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBpc30 View Post
Id say stick it to the school no one should be forced into changing who they are expecially if they are following the rules. Tell them you are already following national rules by being a member of IFC and you think its unfair that they are making you change because of the precived notion about greeks. Also I suggest you have prominant alumni write letters to the director of student activities and the president of your school asking to remain local. The school should take the alumni comments and concerns a little more seriously then undergrads.
And then the school laughs in their face and shuts them down. Really, not a good idea. You're playing David vs. Goliath...and in this case, I don't think David has a prayer.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
And then the school laughs in their face and shuts them down. Really, not a good idea. You're playing David vs. Goliath...and in this case, I don't think David has a prayer.
I almost posted the same thing but held back. There's a quarter of a chance they could make a good case to the school, though not in the "screw you" fashion suggested above. But mostly, yeah... David's getting squished.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
You said you are a CO-Ed group? Is that both male and female?

If the Greek Adviser suggested NIC web site, then I take it you are all male.
True? If not, then they steered you wrong as NIC is male only.
Yeah, we're both male and female (I'm a chick).

So, here's my question: If NIC is male-only and Pan-hel is female-only, which national council can we at least turn to for support?

We're a member of Keene State College's IFC which is all-male... well, save for us.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, IFC and NIC are not quite the same thing. Though I wonder if the split off fraternity counsel (initals someone?) has the same male-only rules. I think you may be stuck there though since you have several years the idea of expanding and forming your own national HQ is a possibility.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnoriginalErin View Post
Yeah, we're both male and female (I'm a chick).

So, here's my question: If NIC is male-only and Pan-hel is female-only, which national council can we at least turn to for support?

We're a member of Keene State College's IFC which is all-male... well, save for us.
There are national groups out there that aren't part of any national council. You want to find one of them.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
the idea of expanding and forming your own national HQ is a possibility.
Of course I would see that requiring some immense funds which Delta brothers and sisters seriously lack.

Yeah, KSC has pretty much signed our death-warrant and we all knew this as soon as we were informed.

I could see the idea of forming our own national HQ for co-ed organizations going really well, if we had some more involved alumns. Sadly the majority of us students are busy as all hell and even more broke. It's something that I had given thought of assisting Delta with once I'm out in the world working and have some money saved up, but at least for myself that's another 5 or 6 years (gotta get my MBA after graduation).
Old 10-30-2006, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I'm not suggesting forming a council, but the biggest difficulty would be the legal stuff, incorporation, etc. If there's another national co-ed social fraternity, then think about a council...
Old 10-30-2006, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Check out Alpha Delta Phi Society. It may be what you are looking for with regard to a co-ed GLO. http://www.adps.org/

ALPHASIGMAPHI
Est. Yale 1845