GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,376
0 members and 2,376 guests
No Members online

Old 10-04-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Umm...I'm a little confused. Are you saying Sigma Sigma Sigma National Sorority that IS part of the NPC is on your campus, and you want your chapter to become a part of them, because they have a deaf chapter??
I think she's saying that her school suggested Tri Sigma because they already have a deaf chapter.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-04-2006, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
From what I understand, and I think I know what school the OP is in, since the Tri Sigma chapter at her school is a deaf chapter, and her local is a deaf chapter as well, they would just become a part of the Tri Sigma chapter there.
In that case, I doubt Sigma would just take the whole chapter...they'd probably have to rush and get bid, just like all the other PNMs.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:50 AM

Greekgal7 - Just to let you know (cause I wasn't sure if you knew from your post) Sigma is not a deaf sorority on a national level. The chapter at RIT (where I'm assuming you are) just happens to be deaf.

I think the school telling you to merge w/ the Sigma chapter is kind of offensive, just because it sounds like they're saying "well Sigma's deaf and these girls are deaf...sounds like a plan!" If you wanted to join Sigma, you would have joined Sigma to begin with.

I would definitely take steps with your other two chapters to create a national constitution and obtain insurance and such and become national like that. Especially if being part of the deaf community is a big part of your sorority's mission. You don't have to be NPC to be national.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Umm...I'm a little confused. Are you saying Sigma Sigma Sigma National Sorority that IS part of the NPC is on your campus, and you want your chapter to become a part of them, because they have a deaf chapter??
Sigma Sigma Sigma is part of NPC on my campus, and since we are a deaf local sorority, my university wants us to consider to have our chapter to join the Sigma since they have deaf members on the same campus (to clarify, both of the chapters have deaf members)
Old 10-04-2006, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose View Post
OK. I think I know what's happening. Your university has decided to have the locals obtain national backing. Even though your sorority has two other chapters and could be considered a small national, steps to create a National Board and all that other stuff were never done. Correct? The university mentioned affiliating with Sigma because the chapter on your campus seems most similar to you. (Sigma may or may not be aware of this.) If you don't obtain national stature/affiliation of some sort, your sorority chapter must disband. Has the university set a deadline?
how does "small national" work? i havent heard of that possibility. is there some small nationals out there and how is it processed? The greek affairs have mentioned a year deadline, but one thing, that lady in charge of greek affairs NEVER told us the deadline, she says we are "safe" but other greek chapters on campus warned us that SHE MENTIONED we have a year left to become national.

the current sorority president is going to question her about this asap because shes hard to get ahold of
Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

[quote=33girl;1333019]Greekgal7 - Just to let you know (cause I wasn't sure if you knew from your post) Sigma is not a deaf sorority on a national level. The chapter at RIT (where I'm assuming you are) just happens to be deaf.

I think the school telling you to merge w/ the Sigma chapter is kind of offensive, just because it sounds like they're saying "well Sigma's deaf and these girls are deaf...sounds like a plan!" If you wanted to join Sigma, you would have joined Sigma to begin with.

I would definitely take steps with your other two chapters to create a national constitution and obtain insurance and such and become national like that. Especially if being part of the deaf community is a big part of your sorority's mission. You don't have to be NPC to be national.[/quote]

how is it possible to become national without NPC? i looked online and couldnt find anything and but came across this forum.

yes the Sigma chapter at my campus is deaf and i know its the only deaf national chapter out of all Sigma chapter out there.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekgal7 View Post
how is it possible to become national without NPC? i looked online and couldnt find anything and but came across this forum.
NPC is only a conference, like the Big 10 or SEC. Just because Old Miss is SEC and Illinois is Big 10, doesn't mean they can't play against eachother. Delta Sigma Theta, Alpha Kappa Alpha, and Sigma Gamma Rho (I know I'm missing one, I'm having a brain fart, and apologize to that group) are national sororities, but they are in a difference conference, the Divine 9. And, you don't necessarily have to be in a conference to be national.

ETA: Zeta Phi Beta...I knew it would come to me as soon as I hit the "post" button.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 10-04-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm certainly no expert, but it is possible to be a national organization without being a member of the NPC. My sorority, Beta Sigma Phi, is an international sorority, but we are non-collegiate and therefore non-NPC. Kappa Beta Gamma and Phi Beta Chi also come to mind. They are both national sororities (one social, one Christian...not that these are mutually exclusive). They have multiple chapters and are governed by a national executive board. There are many others. Some are catered to a specific interest group (religion, ethnicity, nationality, cause, or common academic field); others are not.

I don't know very much about how a group like yours would become national, but you will certainly need a constitution and board of officers as 33girl suggested.

Other posters will probably have more info.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient

Last edited by erica812; 10-04-2006 at 12:32 PM. Reason: because I needed to be more specific
Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
NPC is only a conference, like the Big 10 or SEC. Just because Old Miss is SEC and Illinois is Big 10, doesn't mean they can't play against eachother. Delta Sigma Theta, Alpha Kappa Alpha, and Sigma Gamma Rho (I know I'm missing one, I'm having a brain fart, and apologize to that group) are national sororities, but they are in a difference conference, the Divine 9. And, you don't necessarily have to be in a conference to be national.

Thats new to me, the college didnt mention about not necessarily joining the NPC. Do you have a process how to become a national on our own?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thats new to me, the college didnt mention about not necessarily joining the NPC. Do you have a process how to become a national on our own?
It has to do, mainly, with having a National Board that oversees all the chapters of your sorority, and of course, insurance, which I'm sure is one of your campus' main concerns.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:32 PM

This does raise the valid and rarely addressed question of what actually makes a national sorority a national sorority. Besides having plural chapters. I think, from reading way too many national websites, that it starts with INCORPORATION. Sorry about the caps, years of reading posts in which the D9 members are so very very proud of it have rubbed off on me.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
There's a forum on here called "up and coming nationals." Some of the people there could probably give you ideas on where to start.

The Greek advisor may not have told you about this possibility because she may not have known. Some people (even those in authority who should know better) think there's NPC and NPHC and that's it as far as nationals are concerned...so not the truth.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There's a forum on here called "up and coming nationals." Some of the people there could probably give you ideas on where to start.

The Greek advisor may not have told you about this possibility because she may not have known. Some people (even those in authority who should know better) think there's NPC and NPHC and that's it as far as nationals are concerned...so not the truth.
Or is it possible that she wants them to go NPC or NPHC only? That's osmething you have to look into.

And telling you all to look into Tri-Sigma becauses both chapters have deaf members is wrong. First off, you would all have to go through rush like a typical PNM, and some of you might not get bids...and I'm asuming that if you wanted Tri-Sig, you would have gone there in thef irst place.

Good luck

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 10-04-2006, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
SoCalGirl, pretty much hit it on the head. A key component in becoming “national” is having your business side in order and being a legal entity. It would involve being incorporated according to the laws of your state. Those laws definitely vary from state to state so you may find an attorney helpful. Things to include are national officers and/or a board of directors, a tax ID number, and liability insurance. Your alumnae association can be a valuable asset in getting these things together. Rally them.

Here is a list of some sororities with less than 15 chapters.

Kappa Beta Gamma – www.kappabetagamma.org/
Arethusa (Sigma Gamma Phi) - www.arethusa.org/
Agonian (Alpha Kappa Phi) - www.agonian-kappa.org/
Clio Sorority (Phi Kappa Pi) - www.geneseo.edu/~clio/

Your president and chapter adviser really need to sit with the Greek Adviser. Have the GA outline in writing what is expected of your chapter. Only then can you determine what to do next.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you are all going about this the wrong way.

You need to think about the reasons WHY universities are requiring sororities to become national.

-Insurance
-National Affiliation

Insurance is a MUST. No University today will recognize your organization without it. They might ignore the fact that you are not national, but without insurance, it is a liability. But it is very expensive. They only way to afford it is to save, and to have many chapters paying for it.

So if you're planning to try to expand I suggest that you maintain high numbers of membership, continue excelling academically and maintain a good reputation with your own university administrators. You may need your university to back you in the process. If you aren't fulfilling their requirments they wont' put in a good word for you.

You will also want to make sure you have alumnae support in expanding. Undergrad members are busy with classes and work. You will need alumnae to help present to other schools, and also contribute financially. Write a National Constitution to include National Board and expansion process/requirements.

Find out what requirements you are NOT meeting at your university that is causing your organization to go national. Find out the details, and possibly set up a meeting with your active members, alumni association and greek advisor to discuss and explore your options.