GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,933
0 members and 1,933 guests
No Members online

Old 09-15-2006, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Question local question

hi all! i will try not to make this too long but i kind of have a lot to ask...sorry in advance...i am very interested in starting a local sorority on my campus but i am completely clueless..i have all the forms necessary to be acknowledged by the university but other than that i have no idea where to start...see i have always wanted to be involved in a sorority and i got married last june with the intentions of rushing in the fall until i unexpectedly got pregnant in july...i realize that sororities take up a lot of your time and between work, school, baby, and marriage that is not something i have much of..i am very happily married and my son was just the icing on the cake but i would still like to be involved without taking too much time away from my family so i thought i could start a sorority for people that don't have time to dedicate to traditional organizations for one reason or another..i have played with a few names, colors and things like that but honestly i am just lost...does anyone have any suggestions...i also have no idea how to get people interested once i have the basics covered...anyone can email me at ashleycamille@hotmail.com or just post on here...thanks for your time..again sorry it was so long i just thought some background info might be necessary to understand why i want to start this organization...thanks again
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

C-L-U-B....
Old 09-15-2006, 10:41 AM

Geez Jess, you missed the boat on this one.

Ashleycamille, meet BLACKROSE.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/se...earchid=132066
Old 09-15-2006, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

I thought about that...but I figured purposely subjecting someone to BlACKROSE's posts would be considered "Cruel & Unusual"... (not that this poster has much better typing skills ).
Old 09-15-2006, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I thought about that...but I figured purposely subjecting someone to BlACKROSE's posts would be considered "Cruel & Unusual"... (not that this poster has much better typing skills ).
That is just wrong. Funny, but wrong.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

There's also Mu Rho Sigma ... no idea how you start a chapter or anything, but it sounds like they would meet your needs.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks

thanks i will look them up
Old 09-16-2006, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to be a killjoy, but I just don't get where a young mom/student thinks that it would be less of a time committment to found a new student organization, actively recruit members and plan activities for them than to be a member of an existing campus group where all you need to do is show up, and where taking on a leadership role is up to you.

You don't need to be starting a sorority/campus organization. Any local founder you speak to will tell you it takes a ton of work, effort and more work over years, some disappointment, a lot of late nights, and yes, more work. Doesn't quite sound like that is what you are looking for. Get involved with another established activity on campus.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
No, going to MOM's website and trying to figure out WTH they're all about is "Cruel and Unusual".

This post was brought to you by "Hooked on Phonics".
Old 09-16-2006, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I was looking into student organizations and sororities a while ago. I had been recently married and i wasnt sure of the requirements so I asked one of the girls I had class with that was in a sorority if it was ok if you were married. She informed me that being married was fine but having kids "was not okay at all." At the time I didnt realize I was pregnant so I didnt even worry about that remark but when I found out I was that kind of turned me away from the traditional sororities on campus.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it depends on the school and the chapter. I have advised chapters with older women with children.

One woman with younger children did not bring them to chapter events (never to meetings) although if we were having an informal picnic or something of that nature she would.

She was looking for something to have for herself, so it was not a conflict that her children were not involved. But its entirely possible that the culture at other schools is different in this regard.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

That is a shame that people who are often ridiculed find the need to ridicule others!

Well,to all of you who feel the need to criticize me for some minor or major misspelling or grammar issues on a chat line, excuse me but you all don't grade my papers so i really do not care. You may feel that I really proofread these comments as if they are being graded. Well no, I do not do that. I'm
usually only responding to an idea while I'm in the middle of doing some home work assignment. (THAT I MUST ADD I HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED MY ASSOSICATE DEGREE AND AM MAINTAINING A 3.1 GPA WHILE BEING A
MOTHER OF THREE VERY INTELLIGENTCHILDREN MY OLDEST WHO HAPPENS TO BE IN THRID GRADE SCORES AT A SIX GRADE READING LEVEL AND WE STARTED DOING HOOKED ON PHONICS AS A GAME WHEN HE WAS IN FIRST GRADE SO YES, HOOKED ON PHONICS WORKS FOR ME), but any way i will agree with some of the others on this post. That trying to start an organization from scratch is difficult most of our members have children three years of age and older, and the couple of sisters that do have very young children have chose not to hold a major position. I do not know what exactly you are missing but I did most of my research to start my sorority thru local greeks webpage. If you would like some help starting your own chapter for non traditional students,I would talk to your NTS office first. Here you may meet others who share with your desire. If you would like any info on Mu Omicron Mu, I would be pleased to send it to you.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlACKROSE View Post
(THAT I MUST ADD I HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED MY ASSOSICATE DEGREE AND AM MAINTAINING A 3.1 GPA WHILE BEING A
MOTHER OF THREE VERY INTELLIGENTCHILDREN MY OLDEST WHO HAPPENS TO BE IN THRID GRADE SCORES AT A SIX GRADE READING LEVEL AND WE STARTED DOING HOOKED ON PHONICS AS A GAME WHEN HE WAS IN FIRST GRADE SO YES, HOOKED ON PHONICS WORKS FOR ME),
Bloody murder.

If your CAPS LOCK is broken, you can borrow KABillyMac's chainsaw to fix it.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Bloody murder.

If your CAPS LOCK is broken, you can borrow KABillyMac's chainsaw to fix it.
LOLOL. The chainsaw story is never not funny!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
LOLOL. The chainsaw story is never not funny!
I just bumped it so the new generation of GCers can know it too!