GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,609
0 members and 1,609 guests
No Members online

Old 04-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Banned

This stuff varies by GLO cultures and campus cultures.

I considered the "no matter the letter, we're all Greek together" stuff to be bullshit. We have had GC discussions about the "all-inclusive" Greek thing and how it reminds some of us of most multicultural churches. Invite the non-white people but everything will be based on white culture(s).

We always wanted the Greek Life office to get out of our way and leave us the hell alone.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Well that's my neutral/unbiased answer. To be really real... you're right. Apples and oranges still means we're all fruit. Maybe we're apples and tomatoes. Both fruits except we're fruits that everyone treats like vegetables?

Now this is stuck in my head:
You're A Vegetable, You're A Vegetable
Still They Hate You, You're A Vegetable
You're Just A Buffet, You're A Vegetable
They Eat Off Of You, You're A Vegetable
LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I've said this in other threads. There is no reason to act like the different councils have anything in common other than Greek letters. At a national level, there are some common interests, such as allowing single gender organizations, housing and insurance policies, etc., on which the groups might want to work together (for example, the bill to allow donations to Greek housing to be treated like donations to a university for tax purposes), but as far as programming? Nope.
Word.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
LOL. I had typed a post but decided not to post. In the 1990s, my chapter hated Greek Week. We considered it an NPC-IFC-centered waste of our time.**

They tried to require our participation but we fought that tooth and nail. We agreed to participate in later years but it still was a hassle because we are an intentionally small chapter. Although we were friends with some NPC and IFC members, Greek Week wasn't fun. We would much rather hang out with other GLOs without a formal Greek Week.

They unfortunately had the same Greek Life advisor for all of the GLOs. We didn't pay that advisor any mind and only cared what the Delta chapter advisor, et al. dictated.

**This was also connected to the notion that NPC and IFC are "real" sororities and fraternities whereas the rest of the GLOs were for "those people." That is correlated with race and ethnicity which is why it grates my nerves when national bodies like NPC present themselves as representing "all sororities" and "the sororities."

/there ya have it

I considered the "no matter the letter, we're all Greek together" stuff to be bullshit. We have had GC discussions about the "all-inclusive" Greek thing and how it reminds some of us of most multicultural churches. Invite the non-white people but everything will be based on white culture(s).
THANK YOU!!! This is exactly how I was thinking. We don't have a problem with the Greek Unity idea, but when one NPC Chapter is larger than the entire NPHC x3, it's just...Idk. Different.

Our current Greek Life Coordinator is saying we will face disciplinary actions if we don't participate, but in order to participate we have to buy these shirts, and honestly, we don't have money like that to purchase shirts for no reason. The larger chapters can add on fees on their dues and have ample money left over, but we dont.

And yes, she is def a member of a NPC sorority so I feel she views us as "others". I've heard her mention at our school's Black Grad ceremony a few years ago that she wishes she wasn't associated with the Black Greeks and was upset how we are allowed to stroll at the end..etc. It's just a battle I feel I have to prepare for and I wanted to see how other schools handle it.

I tried to explain it to someone else that even though she's Black and Greek, she's not necessarily a Black Greek. I'm a Pan African Studies major and I just have issues with her continuously trying to force us to act like a NPC org. We even tried meeting her halfway and asking if we could host a yard show/stroll comp during Greek Week and that got shut down TOO quickly. Smh.

For everyone else commenting,
THANK YOU as well!
I have a President's Meeting with the GL Coordinator on Wednesday and I wanted to ask her why it's mandatory for us to participate, but I wanted to see how other universities handle this.
We have to do Quarterly Reviews too and Binders, and the NPC/IFC get awards on their regional level for some of the stuff they are mandated to do, but our org is different and these mandatory events are just taxing and time consuming.
I want to see if we can have a seperate NPHC Advisor, since they understand we don't necessarily recruit for the numbers and aren't trying to have a line of 50+ every year.

ZPHIB - SOLO ACE - @BabyGucci_13
Old 04-13-2014, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

"THANK YOU!!! This is exactly how I was thinking. We don't have a problem with the Greek Unity idea, but when one NPC Chapter is larger than the entire NPHC x3, it's just...Idk. Different."
We have an NPC associate member with a chapter in that same situation--they've elected to participate in Greek Week the past year and this one coming, but if they didn't want to join in, we never would have the gall to tell them they have to. It would be so unrealistic and unfair to make a group with 30-40 members do something with us and expect they be on the same level as chapters with totals around 200 members.

The money complication here I would also take issue with--we set clear monetary expectations up front for members, and members are told upfront what we have to pay for, how much, and why. If anyone dared tell me I better pay for something we never voted on/never discussed having all participate in I would be equally livid. It's not fair to place unexpected financial burdens on college students; we're all trying to pay for rent and books and tuition, and sometimes even a simple t-shirt can be too much for one's bank account.
Pardon my lane swerve, back into mine….

Last edited by johansla; 04-13-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 04-14-2014, 12:52 PM

Lulutnl3 - if they are trying to force you to pay for things you don't want and participate in things you don't want to be involved with, I would get your national hq involved. This chick sounds like she has issues of her own that she's taking out on your orgs.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Lulutnl3 - if they are trying to force you to pay for things you don't want and participate in things you don't want to be involved with, I would get your national hq involved.
That's what I was thinking. She may need someone with some authority come in and explain to her how she's trying to force a round peg into a square hole.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
That's what I was thinking. She may need someone with some authority come in and explain to her how she's trying to force a round peg into a square hole.
And sanctions against any chapter that didn't participate in what is typically a competitive, social, risk filled week of activities? I would definitely clue in someone from headquarters.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Regardless of your council and organization:
Is Greek Week mandatory at your school? For example, if your chapter chooses not to participate, are there penalties?
Nope. If you don't participate, you just won't win. It's totally optional, though.

2. If you are in NPHC, are you required to participate in your university's Greek Week?
Again, no one is required to participate. But, the NPHC org(s) (the number fluctuates) aren't consistent with their participation.

3. If you go to a PWI, do you have different Greek Life Advisors for the councils or it's just one person over ALL Greek Life? It just seems like there is a lack of understanding between our Greek Life Coordinator and the NPHC at my school.
It's one person over all of Greek Life, but the NPHC org(s) is/are advised by the coordinator of Multicultural Programs. Also, there are/were the umbrella Greek Council with 3 councils underneath, one of them being NPHC.

It is worth mentioning, though, that when I started at school, all Greeks were in the IFC. At the end of my sophomore year, the NPHC orgs on campus resigned from the IFC, stating that everything the IFC and the orgs within it did were of absolutely no benefit to the NPHC orgs.

Also worth mentioning, when recruitment week comes around, NPHC is required to participate in the traditional events that the non-NPHC orgs are hosting.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
It is worth mentioning, though, that when I started at school, all Greeks were in the IFC. At the end of my sophomore year, the NPHC orgs on campus resigned from the IFC, stating that everything the IFC and the orgs within it did were of absolutely no benefit to the NPHC orgs.

Also worth mentioning, when recruitment week comes around, NPHC is required to participate in the traditional events that the non-NPHC orgs are hosting.[/B]
You mean formal recruitment? So... NPC/IFC don't have to participate in...well I wouldn't know what there WOULD be for those orgs to participate in on the NPHC side, nor would... Ehh. It's not reciprocal.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
You mean formal recruitment? So... NPC/IFC don't have to participate in...well I wouldn't know what there WOULD be for those orgs to participate in on the NPHC side, nor would... Ehh. It's not reciprocal.
Informal, I guess. It definitely isn't like formal NPC recruitment. But there is an event/party rotation that occurs on the weekends (recruitment is 2 weeks long) and all orgs are required to participate.

But at the end of the day, no, it isn't remotely reciprocal. It's all for the benefit of the non-NPHC organizations.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I've said this in other threads. There is no reason to act like the different councils have anything in common other than Greek letters. At a national level, there are some common interests, such as allowing single gender organizations, housing and insurance policies, etc., on which the groups might want to work together (for example, the bill to allow donations to Greek housing to be treated like donations to a university for tax purposes), but as far as programming? Nope.
I'd agree with this more except for the membership of Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi and Iota Phi Theta in the NIC.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I'd agree with this more except for the membership of Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi and Iota Phi Theta in the NIC.
There are individual members of fraternities in the NIC who don't know NPHC fraternities are members of the NIC; and there are Alphas, Kappas, and Iotas who don't know their fraternity is a member of the NIC.

Therefore, those national dynamics are minuscule as far as some people are concerned and do not mirror what is happening at the local and college levels.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Phi Beta Sigma is also a member of the NIC.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I've also seen non-NIC/NPC/NPHC fraternities in Greek Week. For example, Alpha Phi Omega at Ramapo (http://ramaponews.com/greek-orgs-tak...5#.U02OQ_ldU1I)
and Syracuse (http://fasa.syr.edu/greek_week2014/teams.html)
Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ Gamma Xi Phi was in that. I don't mind saying publicly that I do not support GXP's participation in any activity that isn't in support of the arts or artists.