GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,559
1 members and 1,558 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 01-13-2006, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

"Legalize Polygamy" ~~~ Canadian Study

Quote:
Ottawa — A new study for the federal Justice Department says Canada should get rid of its law banning polygamy, and change other legislation to help women and children living in such multiple-spouse relationships.
Somehow, I doubt it'll happen

Globe and Mail Link
Old 01-13-2006, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

It's a step down the path to inter-species marriage, I think.

Eventually the Canadians will be allowed to marry non-species, such as rock formations or trees.

Some of those Canadian leaders played too much hockey without a helmet.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
It's a step down the path to inter-species marriage, I think.

Eventually the Canadians will be allowed to marry non-species, such as rock formations or trees.

Some of those Canadian leaders played too much hockey without a helmet.
I guess at that time, I would have long left the country...don't plan on staying long if morality goes down hill in Canada...
Old 01-13-2006, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Re: "Legalize Polygamy" ~~~ Canadian Study

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Somehow, I doubt it'll happen

Globe and Mail Link
Hmmm... I'm kinda suspicious about the timing of the "realease" of this 'study' done by a Queens law professor.... kinda plays into Harper's court.

Other than that; no it won't happen - the quote from the Justice Minister (well for now) pretty much highlights that fact. However I do agree with the thrust of the paper that a Canada-wide legislative standard does need to be in place, instead of a collection of provincial and municipal legal codes...

"Cave ab homine unius libri"

Last edited by RACooper; 01-13-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Instead, Canadian laws should be changed to better accommodate the problems of women in polygamous marriages, providing them clearer spousal support and inheritance rights.

I like this. If someone wanted to be a part of a polygamous marriage then they should be forced to abide by the same laws about support as a monogamous marriage. It make make people think twice if they are going to have to pay 3, 4, 50 ex-wives spousal support .

Cynthia, I'm not trying to attack you, but you keep saying how unhappy you are with the moral and views of this country and how if it gets any worse you are going to leave. If you are really that unhappy, maybe you should move to another country that shares your values.

However, living in Canada, there are numerous options for Joe Citizen to affect change. When election time comes around, vote for the candidate/party who espouses your beliefs. Encourage your friends who are feeling disenfranchised to exercise their rights to vote or try to convince them to vote for your party. If you're unhappy with current legislation, you are allowed to propose your own (although that route is much harder I will admit). Lobby against any of the government's proposed legislation if you don't like it.

There are so many things that you can do to try and change the climate of Canada. However, remember, not all Canadians are going to think like you and in our country majority rules. But I shouldn't have to explain that to you. But do something other than complaining if you don't like the way things are.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
Cynthia, I'm not trying to attack you, but you keep saying how unhappy you are with the moral and views of this country and how if it gets any worse you are going to leave. If you are really that unhappy, maybe you should move to another country that shares your values.
I wonder which country that would be.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I like this. If someone wanted to be a part of a polygamous marriage then they should be forced to abide by the same laws about support as a monogamous marriage. It make make people think twice if they are going to have to pay 3, 4, 50 ex-wives spousal support .

However, living in Canada, there are numerous options for Joe Citizen to affect change. When election time comes around, vote for the candidate/party who espouses your beliefs. Encourage your friends who are feeling disenfranchised to exercise their rights to vote or try to convince them to vote for your party. If you're unhappy with current legislation, you are allowed to propose your own (although that route is much harder I will admit). Lobby against any of the government's proposed legislation if you don't like it.

There are so many things that you can do to try and change the climate of Canada. However, remember, not all Canadians are going to think like you and in our country majority rules. But I shouldn't have to explain that to you. But do something other than complaining if you don't like the way things are.
I do vote and have volunteered for various politicians. However, Toronto-Centre isn't exactly a riding that shares my values. It's kind of hard to change things when the riding is diverse in culture.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Quote:
I do vote and have volunteered for various politicians. However, Toronto-Centre isn't exactly a riding that shares my values. It's kind of hard to change things when the riding is diverse in culture.
Okay, yes, I will give you that. Toronto is Liberal. Perhaps you would be happier in a province such as Alberta?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay, yes, I will give you that. Toronto is Liberal. Perhaps you would be happier in a province such as Alberta?
Hmmmmm...I dunno....I have relatives there (Edmonton), and they seem to like it...I've never been out there for more than two weeks at a time.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hmmmmm...I dunno....I have relatives there (Edmonton), and they seem to like it...I've never been out there for more than two weeks at a time.
I think you'll find that Alberta is the most Conservative (small C as well) and maybe the Maritimes (but I'm not sure). But when it comes right down to it, Canadians tend to be very liberal.

Also, I think there are quite a few Canadians who would vote Conservative if it weren't for Stephen Harper.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's different politically I'll give you that... but you might have different issues with the political climate there as well. For example I'm on the poltical fringe in a way here in Toronto (I would have run if my health was better this year) because I'm more conservative on a number of issues - however out in Alberta I'd also be out on the fringe as well for being too "old" Tory and firmly against the "faith/morality" based political undercurrent there...

Old 01-13-2006, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think you'll find that Alberta is the most Conservative (small C as well) and maybe the Maritimes (but I'm not sure). But when it comes right down to it, Canadians tend to be very liberal.

Also, I think there are quite a few Canadians who would vote Conservative if it weren't for Stephen Harper.
I think it's more like multigeneration Canadians are liberal. While new Canadians have traditionally voted Liberal, things are definitely changing this time around...

ETA: I'll probably prefer to go out west to Alberta over the Maritimes. There are more "authentic" Chinese restaurants there (at least in Calgary and Edmonton...Edmonton also has a T&T supermarket...)...I need Chinese food sometimes

Last edited by Taualumna; 01-13-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:31 AM

Quote:
I guess at that time, I would have long left the country...don't plan on staying long if morality goes down hill in Canada...
I think you need to get out of your parents' house for a while, travel the world (and I don't mean to places like Paris or London) and see how the majority of the earth's population lives. Perhaps Africa, or Latin America, or perhaps somewhere like India or other Asian countries. Go live abroad somewhere. I think you need to leave your nest in order to gain perspective; Canada isn't perfect but we have it pretty damn good here. It sure as hell is cleaner here (and by "here", I mean Vancouver...Toronto can be le stink at times and filthy ~ I lived in TO for 1 year) than any other place I've been to (except for Singapore, but we all know that that is a rare exception).

And I don't think Edmonton would be for you, to be totally honest. It's flat and land-locked (Toronto at least has a waterfront), and in my experience from living in Alberta for 2 years (albeit Calgary), the people are not particularly sophisticated. Edmonton is also pretty isolated, so there are not great road trip options, unless you want to go to Calgary (3 hours drive and it's a boring non-picturesque one) or Jasper (which I think is about 5 hours away). Why don't you try somewhere close'ish like Montreal or Ottawa? If you don't like it, you can always come home.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 01-17-2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
I think you need to get out of your parents' house for a while, travel the world (and I don't mean to places like Paris or London) and see how the majority of the earth's population lives. Perhaps Africa, or Latin America, or perhaps somewhere like India or other Asian countries. Go live abroad somewhere. I think you need to leave your nest in order to gain perspective; Canada isn't perfect but we have it pretty damn good here. It sure as hell is cleaner here (and by "here", I mean Vancouver...Toronto can be le stink at times and filthy ~ I lived in TO for 1 year) than any other place I've been to (except for Singapore, but we all know that that is a rare exception).

And I don't think Edmonton would be for you, to be totally honest. It's flat and land-locked (Toronto at least has a waterfront), and in my experience from living in Alberta for 2 years (albeit Calgary), the people are not particularly sophisticated. Edmonton is also pretty isolated, so there are not great road trip options, unless you want to go to Calgary (3 hours drive and it's a boring non-picturesque one) or Jasper (which I think is about 5 hours away). Why don't you try somewhere close'ish like Montreal or Ottawa? If you don't like it, you can always come home.
No $$$ right now...maybe in two years, right before I get married. In any case, my parents are probably 100% more liberal than me!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

You might not have to wait... 'cause it's looking like that nutter Harper is going to be elected. It's really a shame considering that it wasn't until recently that Canada and Ontario started recovering from the various Conservative budgetary spending orgies (Mulroney and Harris respectively).

I had hoped that Harper would by the farm in this election, thereby (hopefully) pushing out the republican-right crowd, and maybe getting back to the Tory or Red-Tory crowd. As it stands I a verrrry leary of his defence promises and anti-international/anti-enviromental policy statements - well that and the fact the asshole called Canadians cowards and a two-bit country Oh well there is still a hope for rational or central-ist government if some folks start actually looking at the various policies promoted by Harper.