GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,153
2 members and 1,151 guests
Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 01-28-2016, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Call to eliminate recruitment skits

I've been wanting to hear what y'all think of this as soon as I heard about it coming down the pipeline a few months ago. Have I missed a thread about this or is it not as big of a deal as I think it is?
Old 01-28-2016, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I rushed before they were used at my school, so to me it's no big deal.
A couple of years ago I saw the skit our current chapter sisters are/were using, and it didn't resonate with me at all. I don't see the appeal of skits.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

They've been moving in this direction for some time. It's just lately becoming reality instead of theoretical.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Most of the women in the chapters I'm working with are very disappointed about it. Especially those who felt they had strong skits. I think many of them want to try to incorporate their skits into a sisterhood video, but I'm not really sure how that will play out.
the confidence in our actions,
and the purpose in our hearts.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

My personal opinion is that the skits were a waste of time, ridiculous productions and wasted an opportunity for the chapters & PNMs to get to know each other. I am glad they are being eliminated.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Wonder what the chapters who built rooms with a stage for the skit will do with that now?????
Old 01-28-2016, 09:07 PM

I think skits initially had a really good purpose - to give the rushees a few minutes to relax and stop talking and have a laugh or two - but as with most everything else, the importance and the production values got blown out of proportion.

Although I'd much rather see a skit than a generic made-by-nationals video.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh, the generic made by nationals videos get very old after a while. That's part of why I think my chapter does so well in recruitment-we have custom videos for both philanthropy and sisterhood day and they do a much better job of showing who we are than a video simply sent to us.

My chapter is unhappy about the skit/dance because a lot of girls enjoyed doing them, and while I wouldn't say I'm sad about it I remember enjoying the skit a lot when I went through recruitment because I thought the chapter was close and funny when they did it. Still, more time to talk to PNMs is never a bad thing.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

skits

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
My personal opinion is that the skits were a waste of time, ridiculous productions and wasted an opportunity for the chapters & PNMs to get to know each other. I am glad they are being eliminated.
I agree...although it took working as a national officer in the membership department to get me to step back and see how much valuable time and energy was being wasted for skit rehearsal. And how many great chapters who had "funny skits" had not practiced for preference ceremony or conversation for more than an hour or two....compared to 20+ hours of skit practice.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

And I am sure that there are chapters who had a great balance between skit preparation and preference preparation...but I did not see very many of them.

I have seen more chapters who have a great balance between sisterhood round and preference. And they have managed to incorporate the chapter's personality into these rounds.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I pledged in the mid sixties in the age of skits. I don't mean one round. I mean ALL rounds. Round 1 German Beer Garden where we sang among other things, our drinking songs (Let's drink a toast to Kappa Delt as the final song) Round two was KD's Hades ( which included in the skit black and red tights with horns on our heads) Round three Wizard of OZ ( you know the story, little pledge finding her home) and then Preference (all white, pearls, diamonds emeralds and white roses).
I am so glad they are doing away with skits and going to substantial conversations. When I think of the expense of all of that fluff it boggles the mind.
I saw the budget for a chapter, not to be named, and the price for one skit was unbelievable.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

With the number of girls going through rush and the growing number of chapters at more and more schools, I think skits are a luxury of time that the chapters simply cannot afford. I think a good skit can hold a chapter in the memory of a rushee but not improve their reputation, but a bad skit can damage it. Better off taking those charming girls who are great performers and turn them into star rushers.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Better off taking those charming girls who are great performers and turn them into star rushers.
The two are not always contained under the same roof.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
And I am sure that there are chapters who had a great balance between skit preparation and preference preparation...but I did not see very many of them.

I have seen more chapters who have a great balance between sisterhood round and preference. And they have managed to incorporate the chapter's personality into these rounds.
The chapter I worked with spent significantly more time on conversation prep than skit prep. And most of the women in the skit were the better recruiters. I was always surprised how much information about the chapte they were able to pack into the skit in a fun non-preachy way.

To be honest, I wish they would get rid of the incredibly stupid philanthropy crafts. I watched one chapter haul out bags of their "crafts" to the dumpster as soon as the round was over.

the chapter I advise stuffed panda bears- but who wants a bunch of germy stuffed-unstuffed-restuffed panda bears.

The crafts are a bigger waste of money than the skit.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-29-2016, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
To be honest, I wish they would get rid of the incredibly stupid philanthropy crafts. I watched one chapter haul out bags of their "crafts" to the dumpster as soon as the round was over.
But think of all the rooms at children’s hospitals across the country that must be wallpapered by now with cheerfully magic markered greeting cards drawn by anonymous sorority members and prospective sorority members as they nervously chit-chatted about where they’re from and what their majors are.