GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,426
2 members and 1,424 guests
FSUZeta, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Egg Donation

Has anyone here ever done it?

Since I got my tubes tied (two kids is plenty, thank you), and my eggs are just sitting there, unusable, I'm considering it. My OB said it was possible to donate, even with my tubes tied. I've read that the hormones they give you can cause cancer, but I've also read other studies that says those hormones aren't any riskier then birth control.

The other concern I've read about is the psychological concern: Can you handle the fact that you'll have "other children" out there that you'll never meet. Although, after being pregnant twice, and not wanting to go through that ever again, I don't think it would be that big of deal to me, since I wouldn't be the one carrying the egg for 9 months. Also, I like the idea of giving the gift of a baby to a couple who otherwise couldn't have one.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-24-2007, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

There is a thread about this in the archives:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/ar...p/t-63685.html

I remembered it because I have considered selling my eggs in the past. I've got the paper work from a clinic in another state because (at the time) there were no clinics in Kentucky that performed the service.

I feel the same way about giving a gift to a couple that otherwise could not conceive. It pains me that I'm able to have children but don't want my own, and that there are women out there that want children but can't have them. In the past I'd only considered donating an egg to someone I know that needed one, like my sister who is unable to have children. But now that I'm a bit older I don't think that would be as much of a deal anymore.

If I can drop down within the required weight range before I reach the maximum age limit, I do plan on interviewing with a clinic to see if I am eligible.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I searched and couldn't find that thread (because I thought I remembered one about it as well). It's kinda hard to read in that format.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I'm considering donating to stem cell research because frankly, I don't like kids and I'd much rather have a cure for my disease.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I've read an article in a magazine about this one women who was desperately trying to find an egg donor but end up disappointed becuase 1. A good amount of eggs end up being a poor donor; 2. The psychological effects. Some donors who originally promised to donate ended up backing up becuase they were afraid and couldn't bear the thought of having a child outside who shares their genes.

Knowing how badly some women wanted to have kids but couldn't have it is a painful feeling. If you feel that your eggs would be a good donor and you're sure that you won't feel any psychological effects afterwards (like trying to search for the child), then I would say go for it. It would definitely help a lot of women out there
Old 01-24-2007, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_cat_4ever View Post
2. The psychological effects. Some donors who originally promised to donate ended up backing up becuase they were afraid and couldn't bear the thought of having a child outside who shares their genes.
A lot of reputable clinics have the donors go through psychological evaluations for this reason specifically. They want women to donate, but want to be sure they aren't at risk for asking to have their child once it is born or being depressed afterwards.

The clinic I had contacted pays for you to come & stay near the clinic for several weeks surrounding the donation. You take hormones, have psychological evaluations, doctor visits, the whole deal.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

One website I read, complied by a NY Special Task force, said that it can range, as with adoption from complete anonymity, to meeting with the potential recipient, to keeping in contact, to actually being a part of the child's life as a "special family friend".

I think if I did it, I would want to meet the couple, and that's about it. I don't think I'd want to keep in contact or pictures or anything.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I was approached by a couple I knew to donate an egg. I went through all the paperwork/psych testing and then ended up backing out because they wanted to have the child meet me later on in life when the kid started asking questions....I just didn't know if I could handle that. I think it's a great thing to do for someone but definitely think about all the possibillities of the psychological/emotional issues that may arise
Old 01-24-2007, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe most of the egg donation centers (or, maybe just the parents themselves) usually prefer women with spotless medical histories, who aren't obese, and who have good test scores. I guess it would be different if you knew the couple.

In my college newspaper, there would always be requests for potential egg donors.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I believe most of the egg donation centers (or, maybe just the parents themselves) usually prefer women with spotless medical histories, who aren't obese, and who have good test scores. I guess it would be different if you knew the couple.

In my college newspaper, there would always be requests for potential egg donors.
Mine too!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you get to see pictures of the donors when selecting eggs? I'd totally want to so I could pick someone hot. I'm serious. I mean, that's what I'd do if I'd ever in a million years even consider having anything to do with egg donation, LOL. She'd have to be a totally hot genius.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post

The agency I almost went through was very picky about all that stuff too....I think except the test scores, but the couple knew I did well on my SATs and LSATs and was in law school (at the time) so i think they were fine with it. The agency was particular about the weight/height ratio and any genetic medical issues or emotional issues. I think it's good they're strict though...if you're choosing someone for an egg you SHOULD be particular.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
Do you get to see pictures of the donors when selecting eggs? I'd totally want to so I could pick someone hot. I'm serious. I mean, that's what I'd do if I'd ever in a million years even consider having anything to do with egg donation, LOL. She'd have to be a totally hot genius.
My best friend's little sister has been donating eggs. She indicated that they did want pictures of her, but I think she said they were not shown to the potential parents. Not sure on that one though. She said that commonly they try to get a donor who at least marginally resembles the mother (I guess some people try to hide the fact that they've used donated eggs?!).

Personally it's something I'd never want to go through. My friend's sister underwent some major mood swings due to the hormones you have to take.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
When my friend donated her eggs years ago, she had to submit pictures of herself at different ages. The family that eventually received her eggs also wanted to see how some of her family members looked like.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

that sounds awfully picky for infertile couples to request photos of the donor at different stages in life as well as those of family members.