GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,090
1 members and 1,089 guests
Sarak24034

Old 08-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Advice to incoming freshmen on campus safety...

Anyone have any words of wisdom to potential rushees regarding safety on campus?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-02-2006, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Always be aware of your surroundings. I come from a urban campus and at night they have a van that will come and pick you up at the building you're at and take you to anywhere on campus (parking lot/dorm). Don't be scared to go on your campus but also don't think nothing will happen to you.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

LOCK YOUR LAPTOP when you're not in your room. In fact, I always suggest that Freshmen get desktop computers instead.

Guys: NO MEANS NO. Always. Just stop. And a yes when a girl has been drinking is STILL a no. Just walk away.

That's all I can think of right this second.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 AM

*When walking somewhere at night, remember that there is SAFETY IN NUMBERS. If you find yourself walking somewhere at night alone, stick to the WELL LIT AREAS.

*Ladies, when you are walking to your car at night, have your keys in YOUR HAND before you walk outside. That way you don't have to fumble around in your purse looking for them in the parking lot.

*As always, if you're at a bar/club/party, DO NOT ACCEPT A DRINK from someone you don't know. I don't care how hot he or she is.

*If you have a roomie, keep your computer password protected. If he or she wants to use it, make sure you are in the room. (My friends' roomie took one of her essays off of her computer for a class that they were taking together).

*If you know that your roomie has a habit of bringing people into your dorm to hang out, hide/lock up your valuables or anything you don't want someone to take. Your roomie could be the nicest person in the world, but you never know about some of their friends.

*If you're in the library, student center, or some other high traffic area, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR STUFF UNATTENDED. It might not be there when you get back. I lost a $50 textbook that way.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

campus safety

Freshman should attend the dorm meetings that are held throughout the semester. Knowing what is going on in your surroundings is a good thing.

It would be wise to try to meet and get to know your campus police . It is always good to know what services that they have to offer , such as nightly shuttle services, safety forums, community events etc.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JocelynC

*Ladies, when you are walking to your car at night, have your keys in YOUR HAND before you walk outside. That way you don't have to fumble around in your purse looking for them in the parking lot.

Just a small addition to this one. If you hold those keys with your hand in a fist, one key sticking out between each finger, they can be a good weapon.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Most campuses have Blue Emergency Light stations. Know where they are. Ususally there are enough that you can keep one in sight at all times.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are going to get drunk on campus be smart about it, don't trash the halls, don't give in to peer pressure, and don't do drugs.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Be careful who you choose as friends, boyfriends, or girlfriends.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Self Awareness is key. Know about any medical or health conditions you have and always have the necessary medication available with you at all times. Eat properly and understand where you can visit your campus clinic/health center. You can run from a creepy criminal type person but an untreated serious illness is hard to avoid and can significantly hinder your growth as a healthy individual and student.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Take a self-defense class. You'll hopefully never need to know what you learn in there, but if it could save your life, it'd certainly be worth it. Besides, it can be a fun way to release some tension and stress.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't leave a friend at a party. Do not leave a party with someone you just met.

And if you come to college never having been on a date, don't kiss and then sleep with the first person who shows you any attention. Remember what Grandma said, "Petting doesn't make you popular!" Have some self-respect and put the brakes on.

Putting the brakes on also applies to driving. The campus police are out to get you. Don't drink and drive and don't go speeding around campus. Be very aware of the slower MPH signs.

Drink in moderation. The senior next to you or your lush for a roommate may be able to chug back 6 beers as his pre-drink, but know that if you take shots or have a drink, it takes a little while to "kick in." Do not slam back more shots or beers thinking you need more to drink to look cool or get buzzed. And if you're underage, you should not be drinking.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
know that if you take shots or have a drink, it takes a little while to "kick in."
This applies DOUBLE to Jello shots!! One night when I was manning the make-shift bar I told this girl that after 4 jello shots she needs to take it easy for awhile because they're all going to hit her at the same time in a half-hour or so. I found her later that night laying on the floor because she didn't listen.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
And remember this saying: "Beer before liquor, never been sicker; Liquor before beer, you're in the clear." Realistically, you will probably drink if you're underage (probably more often than when you actually turn 21) so just try to think ahead. Hangovers are terrible and tomorrow is another day.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Freshmen women beware of the senior men. They are not interested in you for your mind

PAY ATTENTION when you're walking. If you feel uncomfortable go into a building. Don't worry about feeling stupid.

Don't get so absorbed in a phone call or reading notes or your plastic beer cup that you wouldn't know if someone was walking behind you.

Cell phones make you feel safer but chances are that a) the person you're talking to isn't close enough to help you if something happens and b)it'll be the first thing taken away from you by an attacker.

Use shuttles if they're available. They're warm in the winter.

If you're out drinking, go with someone you trust not to leave you. And be careful. You don't want to be passed out unconcious in a strangers room. At least not during your first week at school, ok? If you don't know your limits.. take it SLOW.