GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,251
1 members and 2,250 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 02-15-2001, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Post University of Washington sororities

Last edited by Jen; 08-13-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-07-2001, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RxyChrldr
I go to the UW, so if you're still in need of help feel free to drop me an email..Rxychrldr@aol.com

~eirian
Old 08-07-2001, 04:26 AM
Unregistered-

Smile

I sent you an email.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I really, really encourage people to reply via e-mail and not post here. Recruitment is coming up, and we don't know who is reading this...
Old 08-08-2001, 05:05 AM
Unregistered-

I sent brooklineu an email
Old 08-09-2001, 10:40 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby:
I really, really encourage people to reply via e-mail and not post here. Recruitment is coming up, and we don't know who is reading this...
Excellent Advice, DeltaBetaBaby!

Old 09-22-2001, 10:14 AM

brooklineu, I'd strongly encourage you to change the names of the sororities in your story. Keep the structure if you like - say there are 8 sororities at UW, 4 are big and 4 are small, then have 4 big and 4 small sororities in your story (I'm making up these figures; I don't know UW's Greek system at all). But I for one would hate to read something like "...and she cut AEPhi immediately, because blah blah blah..."

I am deliberately posting this rather than emailing/PM'ing, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Just my $0.02
Old 09-22-2001, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
brooklineu,

I read your story every month, and sometimes can't wait for the next one to come out. I just went back and checked the site. In response to aephi alum's post, I didn't see an AEPhi listed as one of the sororities on the fictional campus of Brookline University. While it's true that XOB does sound close to the NPC org XO, AXO does too. DGR is similar in name to SGR. Many real NPC orgs have similar-sounding names, and many locals have names similar to NPC orgs. There are only so many Greek letters to go around! Don't worry too much about the names. The stories are great, and you tactfully handle the situations. I am a bookworm, and now I have another avenue to read !! Keep writing. And if you ever need a writing partner, LET ME KNOW!!!!

Last edited by tcsparky; 09-22-2001 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2001, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry if this is something I should already know, but how can I read your stories? They sound great and I'd love to see them if they're available somewhere. I'm also a writer (well, sort of, sometimes, when I have time).
Old 09-22-2001, 03:57 PM
Unregistered-

Talking

Brookline University can be found at www.geocities.com/brooklineu

and

Sandy Cove can be found at www.geocities.com/sandycove3

Brookline U is updated on the 1st of the month, Sandy Cove on the 15th. They are both fabulous stories and I always look forward to reading them!
Old 09-22-2001, 04:24 PM

Hm. I picked AEPhi as an example because (a) it's my sorority and (b) I didn't think they were represented at UW.

While the sororities at Brookline U are fictional, the author is talking about introducing a real school and several real sororities into the story (as I understand it... correct me if I'm wrong), and this bothers me. You would have to be extremely careful what you said... and I would hate to read anything that could be construed negatively about any non-fictional group (not just my own). IMO, it would be best to whip up some fictional national groups.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RxyChrldr
[B]<<I have been curious about UW's rush for awhile, so maybe RxyChrldr or another UWer can enlighten me. How in the heck does that whole rush and move into the house as a new pledge thing work? I remember reading on the Panhellenic website that they encourage rushees not to sign up for other housing if they are going to rush. My first thought was I hope they are guaranteeing every woman a bid, because it would suck to come to college, plan to live in the house, and then not have a place to live because they discouraged you from signing up for alternate housing. My second thought was what happens when someone depledges? She has to go find other housing, right? And how much do the physical houses influence the rushees choices?>>[B]

Okay, sorry this took me a while to respond! lol..at UW, you go through the whole rush week process, and then move into the sorority right on bid day. It is true that you're encouraged not to sign up for other housing, just because it's pretty expensive when you cancel at the last minute (don't get your whole deposit back). But this past rush was pretty tough..more girls rushed than years before, so cuts were in turn more harsh. I know a few people who didn't get *any* invites back after the first day (!) of rush. And there are 16 houses! But the houses couldn't afford to be really generous, they needed to narrow it down in a hurry. One of my good friends, and i'm sure it happened to many other people, didn't end up getting a bid and had to make last-minute apartment arrangements. The dorms usually have extremely long waiting lists because it's such a big school, so that isn't an option. Luckily my friend happened to find a nice apartment with two other girls who didn't get bids.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
On top of aephi alum's concerns regarding speaking about a sorority that is real in a harsh light, you would probably have to get permission from the national organizations to use their names in your stories. Sort of like the movies who can't use real sororities or fraternities. Just a thought...don't know if it's absolutely true.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey y'all...

My sister rushed at the University of Wash. and based on what she shared with me, Roxychdr nailed it. It has always been competitive, but probaby moreso now that the school itself has pushed way past it's enrollment capacity limits. Yikes. I love the UW though! My boyfriend and I visited his house there often, which is totally gorgeous and I find that although it's a big system, people seem to know each other and are friendly. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Carrie
Old 01-15-2002, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Talking

You guys just have to read about all Jen's sororities! There's one with a mermaid for a symbol, another with wooden shoes and tulips, another with amethysts and lilacs--I was fascinated! Jen, what a fabulous job!