GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,246
2 members and 1,244 guests
No Members online

Old 06-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Banned

BAD CATS RETRO STORY

I have been thinking about posting my retro story for some time so if you guys like I will do it but be warned, it is more about how recruitment can turn your brain into lumpy oatmeal than a traditional retro story.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Please go on. We need an active story, preferably true.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, 'bout time to read a story from someone who actually posts on these boards!!!

As long as there are no Philly references I think your story will do just fine.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I was just thinking of suggesting that an established GCer (someone who has been posting here for years) write their retro. I know a lot of us are addicted to this thread and it would be nice to read a new story that's actually true (I don't know about you guys but I'm sick of this whole fake story drama). I usually don't post much, but please continue on BadCat25, I can't wait to hear how things went for you!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Banned

JUST A LITTLE BACKGROUND

If I were to describe myself in HS it would be a horse mad tomboy. I wasn’t involved in many school activities. I was so totally caught up in taking my horse over the next jump.

I am from the South and all of you fellow Southerners know how big sororities are down here. My dad was in a fraternity in college but my mom went to a school that didn’t have sororities. I became aware of them in junior high, when some of the older sisters of my classmates went through rush. By my senior year all the talk was about how girls who graduated the year before had done. How Sally made ABC, how poor June had to settle for DEF and how Emily was cut by everybody and dropped out of school. Horror stories of brutal cuts and how Southern honor required you to throw yourself under a train if your rush failed.

My parents told me they would pay the insane private school tuition only for a university with top academics, otherwise it would be the in-state tuition of my SEC school. I took a shot at the Ivy League but the closest I got was a wait list. I guess they weren’t impressed by the ribbons I won at horse shows. So after the acceptance and rejection letters I was left with four colleges to choose from. Three were Southern schools, Vandy, Emory and my SEC school, but a university in the North blew me away when I visited so when my parents gave their thumbs up I was headed for the frozen wasteland of Yankee country.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
I've ridden hunter/jumpers for my whole life and still compete and it's always nice to have another horse person in greek life, so yay for your story
Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I'm liking your writing style! Can't wait to hear more!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Please continue. I want to know what happens next
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

TRIUMPH AND TRAGEDY

Many girls in my graduating class did not rush. They were frightened off by the horror stories. One told me she wouldn’t pay money to be publicly humiliated. Of my only two friends who did, Susan was my BFF and was going to our SEC school. Alice went to an SEC school in a neighboring state where her parents went. I had no doubts about Susan. She had to be was headed for one of the top sororities. I worried about Alice. She was a bit shy and a bit socially awkward and I thought those girls would eat her alive.

A few days after Alice left she called me. She was heavily cut and was left with one chapter she loved and one she just didn’t click with at all and was sure her love chapter would cut her in the next round. A couple of days later another call. Alice was a new member of the chapter she loved. She was so excited and I was so happy for her.

Then I received an email from Susan. She said rush just didn’t work out. She didn’t say what happened and I didn’t press her for any details but I couldn’t believe it. I thought she had everything they could possibly want.

My college has deferred rush so I didn’t have to decide up front then if I was going to do it or not.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceniczip View Post
I've ridden hunter/jumpers for my whole life and still compete and it's always nice to have another horse person in greek life, so yay for your story
I agree! I've been riding for more than half my life and it's great to find another Greek equestrian. Great story so far!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Banned

UP TO THE FROZEN WASTELAND

I knew absolutely nobody at my new school but that was the case of most of the freshman as the university attracts students from all over the country. During freshman orientation I started to hang out with two girls in my dorm, Jen and Heather. Jen is super cute while Heather is wild and crazy and a total guy magnet. The college was Jen’s first choice while Heather is a fellow Ivy reject. When classes started it was obvious this wasn’t HS. They just piled on the work. Jen, Heather and I would go to the library in the evenings to pound the books but we did have time to have fun. We went to football games and cheered on our team, our student athletes against their future NFL draft picks. Heather got us into fraternity parties and found me a date to a fraternity semiformal. What a blast. I met a lot of sorority girls at the parties and they all seemed so cool that when Jen and Heather said they were going to rush, I decided I would give it a shot because the word was if you didn’t go greek you would have no social life but I decided that if things didn’t work out that would be it. No second rush and no attempts at COB. I knew I could only put myself through that once. Being from the South I thought I knew all the rules, keep an open mind, maximize your options and all the other good stuff you should do plus being on your best behavior that fall. No bad reputations. I tried to talk to Heather about this but she said if they didn’t like it they could stick it.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Ahh I like this so far... It really is a frozen wasteland up here.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCat25 View Post
I tried to talk to Heather about this but she said if they didn’t like it they could stick it.
I think I like Heather.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned

VENUS CHECKS ME OUT

I joined a club sports team when I got to the university and one of the officers of the team was Kathy, a Venus, one of the top sororities. Kathy was so cool as were all of the other Venus I met. They were everything I wanted to be. Kathy was so friendly to me and started to call me before the team meetings and events to remind me of the meeting times and then asked me to join her after the last event before rush started at a coffee shop near campus to discuss the team program. When we arrived at the shop two of her Venus sisters were there and what started out as a casual conversation quickly turned into like a job interview with the three of them. Where are you from, what courses are you taking? On my way back to the dorm it hit me, OMG, Venus was dirty rushing me. Oh to be a Venus.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

those wily venuses!