GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Non Greek Letter (NGL) > Acacia
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,111
1 members and 2,110 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 01-28-2003, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 4RunnerStar
can they technically be called a fraternity if they dont use the greek letters? i have never heard of a fraternity or sorority that didnt use greek letters.
A fraternity or sorority does not have to use Greek letters in order to be considered a GLO. Another fraternity that does not use Greek letters in its name is FarmHouse.

Acacia was founded by Master Masons who were college students; up until the early 1920s a man was not eligible for membership in Acacia until he had taken the Masonic obligations.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-10-2003, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Stay within GreekChat Forums, then go to General Forums, at the bottom of the listing is 'Chit Chat'.

Or click on this link: http://greekchat.com/gcforums/forumd...s=&forumid=185

Hope this helps.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 03-21-2003, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

the word 'fraternity' has nothing to do with greek letters.
it merely means an association of men
just like sorority means an association of women

Quote:
Originally posted by 4RunnerStar
can they technically be called a fraternity if they dont use the greek letters? i have never heard of a fraternity or sorority that didnt use greek letters.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Acacia

I am an Acacian from Nebraska-Daleth Chapter Technically. I was just hoping that I could find someone out there on the web that wants to talk about Acacia or anything Fraternity/Sorority.

Old 05-07-2003, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thetaGirl2
Haha! This is just kind of a fun Acacia story...my pledge dad, Ralph, is an Acacia, and he's so much fun! So here's where the story starts! Last Wednesday my best friend and I went out and got a little crazy. On our way home, I decided we absolutely needed to find my pledge dad. We busted into the Acacia house like we owned the place! We were running around looking for Ralph. In the hour that we were in the house, every guy came out to watch the two crazy Thetas. Before we found Ralph, we managed to start a dance party by turning the stereo on full blast and rockin' out by ourselves! Needless to say, we provided the entertainment at the house that night! Just a little story about LOVIN the Acacia boys for ya!
Old 05-13-2003, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WpiAGDchica
My brother is an Acacia Alumni at Oregon State- Mitchell Albin

I run into a lot of people, as well, that don't understand that fraternity and sorority names can be anything, not just greek letters. Seems like a member of the greek community would know at least a little about all organizations that fell under this blanket, not just the ones on their campus.

Carla

Last edited by WpiAGDchica; 05-13-2003 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerStar Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerStar
hey yall. i was thinking about this the other day and realized that i put just "fraternity" instead of "greek fraternity" so i meant to say...

"can they technically be called a "greek" fraternity"

sorry yall for the mix up.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to chips
Hello

Hello all

Just wanted to say hi. First time here!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

The Acacia chapter at IU

The Acacia chapter at IU had a huge long house with about 10 columns in front. Every Christmas they wrapped the columns with red ribbon, making a neat candy cane effect.

For Lttle 500 weekend, they had a free ice cream social, with campus wheels passing out ice cream for everyone.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

so is acacia an all guys non-greek GLO? or is it mixed gender?
Old 10-09-2003, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

guys only

it is a guys only. it was started by the masonic fraternity. i dont think it is considered greek though but i am not for sure. but my question is i heard word that there national president ran off with all their money. is that true.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
I don't think they're affiliated with the Masons.

The Masons have DeMolay, Job's Daughers, and, well, the Masons. Dunno why they'd have Acacia too.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

pretty sure

My family are masons and they were upset my the fact that i did not go acacia. they were started by masons though. but i did not realize that they started those other fraternitys as well. their motto is something special to the masons. i think acacias website talks about it as well. www.acacia.org i think.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AcaciaBadger Send a message via Yahoo to AcaciaBadger
Talking ACACIA NAME

I am a member of Acacia Fraternity of the Wisconsin Chapter and Chapter Advisor for the new colony at Texas A&M University.

Acacia is a GREEK Fraternity. It is the only Greek Social Fraternity to choose a greek word instead of letters. AKAK has never been nor willbe our Fraternity name. For a while it was used like Beta Theta Pi uses Beta or Phi Gamma uses FIJI. About 8 years ago the Iternational Counicl declatred that as invalid. Our Canadian brothers, sometimes forget that point.

Acacia is Celebratign its 100th Centennial May 12, 2004. We are one of the founding Fraternites of the NIC (Natational Interfratenity Council) . Yes we were started by Masons an have strong riutalistic ties ( much more than any other fratenity--sorry guys) but we separated from them many many years ago.

If you want to lean more please go to www.acacia.org or send me a message. We are about to embark on a huge expansion effort. So if your campus doesnt have a chapter let me know.

Have fun
Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

ACACIA

RILEY,

Hey if this is Riley, I just want to say you are a damn good brother. I hope to see you at Conclave this summer. This summer I'm the Rush Chair and I'll have a new Rush T-shirt to give to you this time.

Justin @ Nebraska

"I don't know how to define brotherhood, but I know it when I see it."