GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Tau > Tau Kappa Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,275
3 members and 2,272 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 12-04-2001, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to teke4life
Question life w/o hazing

i'm admittedly one of the last of the old school pledge classes to really get hazed, have a hell night, etc. b4 everyone flies off the handle... i personally hate hazing and think it destroys fraternities, but i do feel there is something to be said for making pledging tough. has anyone gone through the transition from hazing to non-hazing and come up with good, productive ideas to make pledging challenging? i really feel that something is lost on both the brothers and the candidates when pledging seems to be some formality that one has to go through b4 initiation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-04-2001, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to StrokerTKE Send a message via Yahoo to StrokerTKE
Gamma Rho was recolonized last year. We initiated 30 new members, ALL of which agreed that hazing would NOT be tolerated by our chapter. While we want to make pledging tough, we refuse to be part of the norm on our campus (every other fraternity here hazes in some way). Of course, it should be said that some things that are considered "hazing" we do participate in (walkout, for example). After Walkout, I asked every pledge if they had fun. "DAMN IT WAS A BLAST!!!" was every response I got. Personally, I consider hazing to be something that degrades or harms a pledge. If it does not live up to this definition, I don't think it should be called hazing. While I do belive making all your pledges strip naked and run down the street (the last act one fraternity here required before initiation) is haizing, I don't think a scavenger hunt to learn about campus and town should be. I think such events as this promote brotherhood, unity, and understanding between the pledges, and ultimately teaches them a lot about the local area that they probably would not know, or learn about throughout their college experience.