GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 845
0 members and 845 guests
No Members online

Old 04-26-2000, 02:20 PM

Question Annual Event Philanthropies

Hi All!

This page doesn't get a lot of attention. So I thought I'd start a topic.

What are some of the annual fundraising events your chapters have? Also, how far ahead do you start planning them?

For the last two years I've been trying to get our chapter to have a big philanthropy for the fraternities to participate in, but the girls complain that they're too busy and do enough smaller fundraisers. Personally, I think it's BS and my sisters are just being lazy and would rather complain. We actually had a good idea for an event that everyone was excited for, but one of the other chapters on campus stole it right out from under us. =(

So let's hear some ideas. Also any advice for getting the girls to motivated to do the work would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2000, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Our alumnae chapter's annual fundraiser is our Goody Bag sale. Shortly after the beginning of the Fall semester, we send letters to the parents of all the ZTA collegians offering to provide a Finals Week Goody Bag for their daughter. We sell the bags for $15 and fill them with all sorts of nice things (some healthy, some 'junk') and deliver them to the ZTA house the week before finals. The girls love it, the parents like being able to treat their daughter and we raise a lot of money for our Foundation.

The ZTA Chapter here has a ZTA King contest in conjunction with their annual Race to Live (komen foundation). Each fraternity or campus org. sends in a donation ($50?) and the contestants are interviewed by a panel of ZTA collegians and alumnae. They are 'graded' on campus involvement, fraternity involvement, personal goals, scholarship, etc. The King is crowned at the end of the Race and every one of the finalists gets a small gift.

Barb
Old 05-01-2000, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

All of our chapters on campus have a major national philanthropy, and the university sets requirements on how many philanthropy hours each sister has to have by the end of the year. Then it's up to the chapters to figure out how to meet the minimum. BUT, what worked really well is organizing a Panhellenic and IFC joint philanthropy. Every year we host the Million Penny Project. It benefits a different organization in the nation each time and we involve the chapters, other orgs. on campus, and the community. It raised over $13,000 in less than two months last year. It's great PR, and it helps get people involved because Panhel and IFC take the weight of publicity and organizing and the chapters just have to participate. There's also a reward for the chapter that contributed the most.
Old 05-01-2000, 04:07 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Barbara and BuPanhelPres.

Those are some good ideas!

On my campus some examples of what the other chapters do as a one day philanthropy event are:
soccer tournament
b-ball
billards
lip sync
greek god
rope tug
dance
baseball
football
volleyball
sandcastles

Are there any other ones that are done at your schools?
Old 05-17-2000, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

On our campus these are the annual philanthropies that the sororities put on:

Alpha Chi Omega - "The Great Escape" a run/walk
Alpha Delta Pi - ????
Alpha Epsilon Phi - "Phi Hoops" a 3-on-3 basketball tournement
Alpha Omicron Pi - "Mr. UF Pageant" mens beauty pageant
Alpha Xi Delta - "Men of UF Calendar" male pinup calendar
Chi Omega - "Sandblast" volleyball tournement
Delta Delta Delta - "Dolphin Daze" varies by year. Last year was sumo wrestling.
Delta Gamma - "Anchor Splash" aquatic events
Delta Phi Epsilon - "Deepher Dude" a lipsync contest
Kappa Alpha Theta- "Theta Classic" tennis tournement
Kappa Delta - golf tournement
Kappa Kappa Gamma - "Kappa Klassic" softball tournement
Phi Mu - "Romp in the Swamp" lipsync contest
Pi Beta Phi - "Down and Dirty" flag football tournement
Sigma Kappa - "Just Kickin It" soccer tournement
Zeta Tau Alpha - "Zeta Linedance" linedance contest
Old 05-18-2000, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Local -

By any chance are you at UofFL? If so, I've seen your chapter website.

Barbara
Old 06-19-2000, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Penn State started THON 28 years ago that raises money for kids with cancer. it was started by tri-delt and KDP but expanded to the whole campus. it's a 48 hour dance marathon that EVERYONE gets really psyched for. We usually raise a little over 2 million a year as a campus. People go "canning" weeks in advance all over the country. It really brings the groups together.
Old 06-20-2000, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

At Colorado State University, many of the chapters hold various events throughout the year ranging from 5K runs, penny drives, golf links for greeks, Derby Days, and walk-a-thons. An idea I rec'd from another Theta Chapter was a 3 on 3 basketball tournament that I am starting to put together for the fall. The major part is just getting the sponsorships together and getting girls involved. We try and create events where not a lot of girls need to be involved every step of the way, and have tasks that are short term. Good Luck!

------------------
Kappa Alpha Theta
Beta Gamma Chapter
Colorado State University
"Where twin stars shine bright!"
Live the dream - go Theta!
Old 07-22-2000, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are interested to do a huge international fundraising here is your chance. A huge project in Ethiopia - the poorest country in the world. To train 10000 poor girls and create businesses for them to become suceesful in life. A huge undertaking eh!! Anyway we are sure it can be done. Strategy 10 million people network only for 10 USD project (10 USD something wasted on an ice cream or beer) but it can do miracles. If you are genuinely interested this is then the challenge - establish your chapter bring in as many into the network - students- professors- in your university- locality-state-country or the world if you can. We will see. Then you can really say that you have done something.

See you

Fisseha

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl:
Hi All!

This page doesn't get a lot of attention. So I thought I'd start a topic.

What are some of the annual fundraising events your chapters have? Also, how far ahead do you start planning them?

For the last two years I've been trying to get our chapter to have a big philanthropy for the fraternities to participate in, but the girls complain that they're too busy and do enough smaller fundraisers. Personally, I think it's BS and my sisters are just being lazy and would rather complain. We actually had a good idea for an event that everyone was excited for, but one of the other chapters on campus stole it right out from under us. =(

So let's hear some ideas. Also any advice for getting the girls to motivated to do the work would be appreciated.

Thanks!