GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Beta Sigma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,732
2 members and 1,730 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 03-18-2002, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Is it time to get rid of undergrads?

Let’s face it brothers, for every undergraduate chapter that is functioning at any level of productivity, there are 5 that have folded, floundered and are only tangentially connected to the broader fraternity. More importantly, the undergraduate brothers expose the fraternity to great financial risk with some of the activities that they engage in, under the so-called banner of brotherhood-building. Isn’t it time to do away with undergraduate chapters? (Mind you, I pledged at the undergraduate level, and we spent most of our time bickering, planning parties and trying to “hit” everything we could get our hands on.) It wasn’t until I got to the graduate chapter level that I realized the fraternity was about the larger objective of uplifting our people.

Can our cause really “speed on its way” by having a bunch of 19 year olds representing us? Besides, the capital needed to carry out a productive and progressive policy agency just cannot be raised by undergrads.

Blueknowledge ‘93

Please, no bashing. Let’s have a serious discussion on this issue.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to legacypbs Send a message via Yahoo to legacypbs
Occasio's Reply Pt I

First of all I totally understand where your views are coming from but what I ask you is how is it any different than when you were undergrad. Now the point you made
Quote:
It wasn’t until I got to the graduate chapter level that I realized the fraternity was about the larger objective of uplifting our people.
What made you realize this (and trust there are many of us undergrads who do realize this). What are/should be some of the main objectives of the graduate chapters? One, to be that financial backing for undergraduates, remember when you were in our shoes (but yes I am financial). Two, to mentor the undergraduates and let them know exactly what it means to be a Sigma man. All too often there are issues between undergraduates and graduates because grad chapter members forget where they came from. The seperation is what truly hurts our organization. Without undergraduates I wouldn't truly love my organization as much. Remember back to when you were on line and many of the things you learned. Now ask how often do you try to help young brothers and interests realize these attributes and mold themselve to these ideals. I have been through alot in my four years as a Sigma. Seen my chapter put on probation while I was away at basic training, then seen my chapter rise above all others on our campus. This was not because of work done by graduates but instead by the blood, sweat, and tears of the brothers here. I am the oldest in my chapter at the ripe old age of 23 with 4 years of Sigma-dom under my belt. Yet there is much more to it than that. It goes back to what makes us Sigma's. I have been known by the national headquarters for 4 years but I have been a Sigma all my life. I just didn't know it till I crossed the burning sands.

I actually have a chapter meeting tonight so I will call this Occasio's Reply Pt I to be continued...
Old 03-19-2002, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings Brothers and Sorors,

Having read the posts that both of you (in addition to the sorors) have written, I must say that you both make very valid points.

Before, I go any further let me first say that I was "made" by a graduate chapter. Unlike most of those on this post, I did not have an opportunity to come in at my alma mater.

Be that as it may, my feelings are that undergraduate chapters should NOT be done away with. I am of the opinion that the undergraduate chapters are the lifeblood of our GREAT organization. Truthfully, without those undergraduate chapters, our organizations would crumble for sure!!! I mean, graduate chapters do not have people beating their doors down to get in!!! In my case, I knew I wanted to be a Sigma, so when I graduated I seeked out a graduate chapter in my area. Would I have done this if I had not at least been exposed to Sigma as an undergrad? Probably not!! Why would I have done that? Had there not been a a undergraduate chapter at my campus (albeit suspended for 5 years), I would NEVER have known about this great organization. In short, I don't think our undergraduate chapters should be done away with.

With regard to the graduate chapters and their roles in the lives of undergraduates, I feel like graduate chapters are good intentioned individuals. I don't feel like these brothers are there to harm anyone or change anyone's traditions (yall know what I'm talking about). I do feel that graduate chapters should be more vigilant in their monitoring of undergraduate chapters' activities. I don't mean they should breath down their necks, but I feel like the undergraduates should at least know that the graduate chapters have their eyes on them (not because they're looking for trouble but because they are genuinely interested in how the brothers are doing).

On the other side of the coin, the graduate chapters have an uphill battle to fight with the undergraduate chapters they "oversee". Someone on Zeta post stated something to the effect of "undergraduates simply look for the graduate chapter or advisor for money for the service projects and also they make sure to keep the time when the boys (or girls) really go on to themselves." That statement was not exact, but it was close. How are graduate chapters supposed to work in unison with undergraduates when those are the feelings held by SOME and perpetuated by MANY? (It only takes one DP to tell a line this and a majority of that line will probably go out and perpetuate the feeling.)

It honestly all goes back to what is being taught at the undergraduate level. Of course, I don't know this first hand, but having spoke to some of the frat from many undergrad institutions, I have learned that when they were on line, they learned alot of negative stuff about graduate chapters, the brothers in them, and the brothers who came in through them. These same brothers who told me this went on to tell me that it was not until they had been in the frat for many years (usually around 4), that they realized that it was not all about how you came in nor about the graduate chpater coming in there to "wreck shop". They realized that it was all about the work.

Truth be told, it does not matter who does the work. The most important thing is the work!!!!!!! (Don't get me wrong. I am all for the PROCESS.)

Also, financial backing of undergraduate chapters is an objective of some graduate chapters along with the mentoring of these younger brothers. BUT, do you think that our graduate brothers are going to dump money into chapters who are not even producing at any level? Would you propose backing undergraduate chapters or brothers who only contact you when they need something? Finally would you financially support anyone who has antagonistic feeling toward you and your goals. I would certainly hope not!! These are some of the things that graduate chapters encounter when dealing with undergraduates. For the most part, the graduate brothers who came in through the undergraduate chapters have not forgotten what it was like to have a treasury that had nothing in it two weeks before Sigma Week or to only have two brothers on the yard for homecoming who want to do stuff but cannot physically do a lot of what they want because they don't have money and/or the manpower. These brothers have not forgotten. They see it everyday in their own chapters. (Graduate chapters need fundraisers also.)

Anyway, I have written way too much.

To recap, undergraduate chapters should not be done away with.
Undergraduate "prospects" need to be properly taught about the goals and objectives of our frat and HOW the FRAT achieves them. (Our undergraduates should not be taught that "if you don't "pledge" you are respectable.) They should be taught that work will always speak for itself.

Additionally, graduate chapters should work more diligently with the undergraduates under their jurisdiction. Only through work and interaction can the divide between us be made smaller. (Of course it will never be closed because there are some who will not change no matter what.)

Holla at me Frat and sorors

Last edited by Six_Three_Sigma; 03-19-2002 at 02:00 PM.