GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,215
0 members and 2,215 guests
No Members online

Old 08-09-2023, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Favorite Bid Day Gifts

With bid days quickly approaching, I thought this would be fun! What have been some of your favorite gifts to give (or receive) on or shortly after Bid Day?

I will start:
A bouquet of the sorority's flower
A needlepoint Smathers and Branson key fob with the letters
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2023, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'm having trouble remembering Bid Day Gifts, but I've often sent a special pin holder for Initiations.
Old 08-09-2023, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Because I went through informal recruitment I didn't get one. My big/little basket had these beautiful hand painted canvases that my Gbig, who's an artist made. I also was able to get my sorority hockey jersey recently, as COVID put a hold on that.

While showing rush through tik tok has been discussed here, I am hyped to see the bid day bags that the SEC puts out!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-09-2023, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

If one of my rec girls pledges Kappa, I give her a Kappa-themed gift (new) and a hand-me-down Kappa-themed gift from my collection of owls, keys, fleurs-de-lis, irises, and Kappa Kappa Gamma letters. I am able to both share my personal Kappa connection with her and streamline my collection of Kappa-themed items from my house!
Old 08-10-2023, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
If one of my rec girls pledges Kappa, I give her a Kappa-themed gift (new) and a hand-me-down Kappa-themed gift from my collection of owls, keys, fleurs-de-lis, irises, and Kappa Kappa Gamma letters. I am able to both share my personal Kappa connection with her and streamline my collection of Kappa-themed items from my house!

Like you I will send a gift to one of my rec girls who pledges DG. I have a small stash of nautical themed socks, note cards, scrunchies that I keep on hand for future rec girls or the Collegiate officers that I work with as the House Corporation President.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

One special gift given during our Bid Day was time with our new sisters, inside of the house, during Bid Day (which was actually Bid Night). We met alums, the House Mom, other new members, and saw parts of the house we hadn't during rush.

The first sorority-themed 'gifts' I remember being given came several days later. Initiates visited dorm/apartment rooms, bringing each NM the sorority flower in a decorated bowl of water plus a handmade signature paddle. The latter no longer exists in NPC Land, as NM's gathering required signatures on a paddle from initiated members and fraternity brothers is considered hazing.

Key chains were usually avoided, as putting your QXK house key on a QXK keychain meant when you lost the key/ring, whomever found it would know to which house the key belonged!

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 08-10-2023 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a huge stash of squirrel Christmas ornaments so any of the local girls who go Alpha Gam gets an ornament or two. If there's ever one that's not Christian, I'll give her one of my many squirrels.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I have a huge stash of squirrel Christmas ornaments so any of the local girls who go Alpha Gam gets an ornament or two. If there's ever one that's not Christian, I'll give her one of my many squirrels.
I've given Christmas ornaments for my rec girls in the past. My favorite was an azure blue ceramic shopping bag that opened to put another gift inside.