GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,493
2 members and 1,491 guests
bmilesqtivaov13, navane

Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone taken the Special Education: Knowledge Based Principles test? I am signing up for that one to take in March and I would just like to know how in depth it went with NCLB and IDEA/IDIEA, etc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-04-2007, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to say that I'm glad Arizona doesn't do the PRAXIS. We have our own retarded state tests.

(I say retarded because passing a test doesn't mean you are going to be a good teacher. Taking all the coursework doesn't mean your going to be a good teacher. I just think it's stupid that we, as education majors, spend all that time and money on schooling but yet it's not 'GOOD ENOUGH' to teach children until you take and pass the state tests. Lame!)

My best friend failed the PRAXIS the first time she took it. She failed the subject knowledge part (I think). I was with her in NC when she got the scores and she was absolutely devastated. I just held her hand, rubbed her back while she cried. What sucked is that she had to take the whole darn thing over again. In Arizona if you pass the professional and fail the subject you just have to take what you failed over again.

I haven't heard any good things about the PRAXIS.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-04-2007, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo19 View Post
Has anyone taken the Special Education: Knowledge Based Principles test? I am signing up for that one to take in March and I would just like to know how in depth it went with NCLB and IDEA/IDIEA, etc.
I wish I could help! I took the Sped Cross Cat test for Arizona in November and passed. If the PRAXIS is anything like our test I could totally try to give you an idea what to study for.

If the test are similar in any sense, I was asked questions on IEP's, MIMR, MOMR, SMR, OHI, SLD, SLI (just a few questions), TBI; then had an essay.

My best suggestion is think what the government would want you to answer not what the school district or state would want you to answer. Sped is surrounded by so many federal laws and they totally trump what the district or state "wants". That is how I answered the questions. If I was stumped I'd think "which one would the government want me to do, say, think"

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I wish I could help! I took the Sped Cross Cat test for Arizona in November and passed. If the PRAXIS is anything like our test I could totally try to give you an idea what to study for.

If the test are similar in any sense, I was asked questions on IEP's, MIMR, MOMR, SMR, OHI, SLD, SLI (just a few questions), TBI; then had an essay.

My best suggestion is think what the government would want you to answer not what the school district or state would want you to answer. Sped is surrounded by so many federal laws and they totally trump what the district or state "wants". That is how I answered the questions. If I was stumped I'd think "which one would the government want me to do, say, think"
Thank you! Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:20 AM
wreckingcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBaby80 View Post
Most people don't have much of a problem with the content-area tests (mine wasn't bad). You hear a lot about how hellish the PLT is, but don't believe it--that test is a joke. If you've paid attention in your methods class, you'll be more than fine.
That's what I've heard about the PLT. At USD they have you register and take it during your student teaching semester. Our Student Teaching Cohort leader told us that they've only had one student not pass in all the years that it was required.

I've heard some of the content exams are hellacious. My major was PE so that wasn't bad, but I'm looking to take the Biology content one this spring as well and that one has me nervous.

txnbutterfly

Quote:
So I finally broke down and registered for the reading and writing parts for the Praxis 1. I'm taking it in Jan. I applied for an alternative certification program here in Texas(Region 10) but I didn't get in. So on to plan B
You're getting a certifcation in Texas by PRAXIS scores? Is there some sort of petition you have to do? I'll be certified in SD once I take the PLT, but I want to be able to move back to Texas if there are better job opportunities. What all is going into your 'Plan B'?

Kitso
KS 361
Old 02-06-2007, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieSigmaNu361 View Post
That's what I've heard about the PLT. At USD they have you register and take it during your student teaching semester. Our Student Teaching Cohort leader told us that they've only had one student not pass in all the years that it was required.

I've heard some of the content exams are hellacious. My major was PE so that wasn't bad, but I'm looking to take the Biology content one this spring as well and that one has me nervous.

txnbutterfly

You're getting a certifcation in Texas by PRAXIS scores? Is there some sort of petition you have to do? I'll be certified in SD once I take the PLT, but I want to be able to move back to Texas if there are better job opportunities. What all is going into your 'Plan B'?

Kitso
KS 361
No you don't need Praxis to get cetified here in Texas. You only need to take the Thea (which is just like the Praxis test wise) I'm in the process of applying to iteachtexas. It's an alternative certification program that is entirely online (except the internship/student teaching part) I'm also applying to graduate schools in different states. Having Praxis scores is a part of many program requirements. I'm just getting a head start.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I took the School Guidance and Counseling PRAXIS on Saturday, and I didn't think it was bad at all Now I just have to wait 4 weeks for the results!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I took the Special Education Core Principles test Saturday, and there was a lot more on medical "stuff" then I expected. I think I did ok..but like AUDeltaGam, I'm going to have to wait 4 weeks.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthaBlue4 View Post
Who's taken it and who still needs to take it?

I saw the title of this thread and I just want to cry!!

Praxis
Old 04-07-2007, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDeltaGam View Post
I took the School Guidance and Counseling PRAXIS on Saturday, and I didn't think it was bad at all Now I just have to wait 4 weeks for the results!
I recieved my score today...yay for passing
Old 04-07-2007, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
(I say retarded because passing a test doesn't mean you are going to be a good teacher. Taking all the coursework doesn't mean your going to be a good teacher. I just think it's stupid that we, as education majors, spend all that time and money on schooling but yet it's not 'GOOD ENOUGH' to teach children until you take and pass the state tests. Lame!)
But that's the thing with any profession. Think about it; being a lawyer, a physician, a financial advisor, an accountant, there are any number of professions where you have to show some proficiency on a test to be licensed. Not every school is created equal, and some hand out degrees without people being prepared to fulfill the responsibilities of the profession.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

i passed praxis II! my mom called me yesterday to tell me i passed both the social studies ones i needed!
and as horrible as i thought i did, i got really high scores! yay!

congrats to AUDeltaGam too!

seek the noblest
Old 04-08-2007, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shortfuse Send a message via Yahoo to Shortfuse
Quick Question

Do you HAVE to be a Education Major to take it? I'm a Certified Sub in the District of Columbia and I want to get into teaching.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I passed my Praxis II to get my additional license..Woo Hoo!!!

To Shortfuse: Check with the requirements in DC in order to get a teaching license. Most states require you to take some sort of test whether it is Praxis or their own state test in order to obtain a license. So no you don't have to be an education major..the Praxis people (ETS) will gladly take your money either way. I would check first though to get the requirements to make sure you don't waste money and time. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Woohoo! My daughter passed the PRAXIS in Spanish --she got her results today. Yay for her! That's a really hard test, there's not only a written part but also a part where you have to listen to taped questions and answer into a different recorder.