GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,384
0 members and 2,384 guests
No Members online

Old 08-19-2004, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Quote:
Originally posted by AWJDZ
Like I had posted earlier...I passed Praxis I on the first time, took Praxis II for my content areas and passed, and I do not have to take Praxis III for North Carolina.

I am going into my 4th year of teaching now...so (shoot me in the head now!) I have registared for the National Board Certification program. The state of NC pays for it, unlike most others, and there is a huge bonus offered by most states if you are NBC. Has anyone done this? I heard it was a lot harder than Praxis II, but much like Praxis III? Has anyone taken Praxis III? Not only does this process require me to take another exam, but I also have to build this huge portfolio. I guess it will all pay off in the long run....
We have an awesome art teacher in our building who has tried TWICE to do the National Board test. She's done the test, sent in the portfolio, included the videotape of her teaching the unit, and it just doesn't seem to matter. She's a veteran teacher! And not a crusty stick-in-the-mud style veteran, either-- she's had a couple of her pieces in local shows, and she tries to think of neat things for the students to do. I have no idea why she isn't Board Certified.

So if you can do it, *good luck*!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2004, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I took Praxis 2 the content knowledge and PLT and passed ... didnt study .... didnt think it was that hard.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm putting off PRAXIS II as long as I can- kind of like graduation.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Baltimore, MD - Missing Sitting on the Green Monster with Johnny Damon and Teddy Bruschi
Send a message via AIM to PlymouthDZ
I took the Praxis I and got phenominal scores..

I'm studying to take the Praxis II in about a month and a half - two months.. I'm NOT looking forward to it! :\

(eta: I'm a Social Science Education major with minors in History, Geography, and Political Science)
Old 08-28-2004, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
Quote:
Originally posted by PlymouthDZ
I took the Praxis I and got phenominal scores.
Me too

I take PRAXIS II: Elementary Content Knowledge on September 11, start the prayers now PLEASE!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

1 week until the PRAXIS!, its on Sept 11. Good luck to all of us taking it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JupiterTC
Good luck Birtha! I take mine January, so I know the feeling. Let us know how well you did.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:40 AM

My mom (the teacher) convinced me to take the PRAXIS. I'm a bit bitter because in NJ to be a certified Bio teacher, I need to take: Biology Content, General Science Part I and Gen Sci Part II. Meanwhile my Eng friend had to take one exam. Should I want to be any other kind of science teacher, I need to take more exams.

I passed 2/3 on my first try...Bio Content was a BIATCH!!!! Seriously, they asked the most specific things like "What plant hormone controls the blah blah blah?" And its a big crock of crap that it tests things learned in Bio 1 & Bio 2. Most things that were tested I learned in my 300 & 400 level bio classes.

Not that I'm using the test anyway...I decided on going to grad school instead of teaching. What a waste of 2 days. Le sigh.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kateshort
We have an awesome art teacher in our building who has tried TWICE to do the National Board test. She's done the test, sent in the portfolio, included the videotape of her teaching the unit, and it just doesn't seem to matter. She's a veteran teacher! And not a crusty stick-in-the-mud style veteran, either-- she's had a couple of her pieces in local shows, and she tries to think of neat things for the students to do. I have no idea why she isn't Board Certified.

So if you can do it, *good luck*!
My mother is a national boad certified french teacher. I remember when she was going through all of that. What makes the difference for most teachers is quality peer mentoring in the application process. Without that, you're kind of shooting in the dark.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-10-2004, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to do the National Boards for counseling this year. I figure I am still in school mode to a degree, and may as well go ahead and do it now! Hopefully the fact that I'll be a fairly recent grad will help with the testing too - at least I hope so anyway!
Old 09-10-2004, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to do the National Boards for counseling this year. I figure I am still in school mode to a degree, and may as well go ahead and do it now! Hopefully the fact that I'll be a fairly recent grad will help with the testing too - at least I hope so anyway!

Edited to add: I was worried about the praxis, but did not spend much time preparing for it. I sweated until I got the results, and was happily surprised to find that I did really well!
Old 10-11-2004, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
sept praxis results

how did everyone taking the praxis in september do???

i tested out of the praxis I because of my ACT scores.

I took the PLT:7-12 and the Social Studies Content Knowledge in september and passed them both by at least 16 points! kinda suprising because i was so convinced that i failed that i paid the $25 extra dollars to get the test results back early over the phone. i couldn't take the suspense anymore.

Last edited by OUlioness01; 11-10-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I passed the Elementary Ed Content Knowledge!!!! I was shocked, because what I did was I studied the WRONG TEST. I was looking at the curriculum and instruction test and didn't realize it (I know, I got issues). So when I went in there I was blown, because I didn't expect that. I just KNEW I failed, especially the history and science sections. But I passed by a fairly good margin, I was above average. Go figure!

Special Ed tests in November!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
I just took Praxis I to apply for my Indiana Teaching License (needed to work in the schools for us speech path's), and then I have to take Praxis III to be certified.

Seriously, the Praxis I was such a joke. I wish they would've given me an option to test out of it because I feel like it was a waste of my $120.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:26 PM

So I signed up for another Praxis exam.

I'll be taking Earth Science content knowledge in Jan.

Anyone else taking more praxis-es (praxi?) exams?