GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,515
1 members and 1,514 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing at Ole Miss as a Transfer

I am planning on transferring as a sophomore to Ole Miss Fall 2012, and am very interested in rushing. I just wanted to get a general idea of what my chances are of getting into a fraternity as a sophomore? Any advice or testimonials would be greatly appreciated.

Also my father was a Kappa Alpha at Drury.

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGovernor916 View Post
I am planning on transferring as a sophomore to Ole Miss Fall 2012, and am very interested in rushing. I just wanted to get a general idea of what my chances are of getting into a fraternity as a sophomore? Any advice or testimonials would be greatly appreciated.

Also my father was a Kappa Alpha at Drury.

Thanks
You're a legacy of the Order. But...the posters of GC don't know you, how involved your father is as an alum, or how you will get along with the brothers of the KA chapter at Ole Miss. Just rush with an open mind, and go with the chapter that gives you a bid and you're most comfortable with. As far as a sophmore trasnfer, I wouldn't think you'd be at too much of a disadvantaged. But someone from Ole Miss can tell you exactly.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I am in the same place, I am transferring to Ole Miss in the fall of 2012, both my parents were greek in college and it's something that I've always been interested in being a part of, is it tough for a transfer student to get involved with a fraternity?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless something has changed at Ole Miss, IFC/NIC fraternities do not have a quota or chapter total. So it may not be that unusual for sophomores and/or transfers to receive a bid. It really depends on the chapter and the person.

Ole Miss has a somewhat structured ("formal") delayed fall rush that is held from around the end of September to mid October. Because fall rush is delayed, you will have time to meet fraternity men once you are on campus.

However, most/all of the fraternities hold summer rush events. It is from these rush events that the bulk of most pledge classes may be formed since it is a more informal way to meet the rushees. So if you are able to attend the summer rush events, the better your chances are in receiving a bid. This is also true for incoming freshman as well.

I am not sure if the UM Greek Life office passes on information to the various chapters, but to be safe, once you are officially accepted at Ole Miss, you may want to contact the Greek Life office and ask them about information on summer rush events and how/when to sign up for IFC rush. By signing up, your name will be available to the fraternities, which may in turn, get you invited to summer rush events.

But even if you are not invited to any summer rush events, remember that rush at Ole Miss is delayed and you will have time to meet members of the various chapters once you are on campus in the fall.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to Ole Miss. The following is what I've heard about fraternities in regards to your situations when I was asking about how difficult it would be for my brother to rush as a sophomore.

While it's obviously not as common for sophomores to rush, it's not held against you. You've got it going for you that you're a transfer and you didn't just [I]not[I] do rush your freshman year too. It's much easier to rush a fraternity as a transfer sophomore at Ole Miss than a sorority too. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I met a lady in my community a couple of months ago who told me her son rushed at Ole Miss Fall 2011 -- as a sophomore. I don't know what his overall experience was, but she said he loved his chapter, which just happens to be Kappa Alpha.